Why bicycle why?!

Options
So I love going to the gym and using the elliptical two or three times a week. I never have a problem keeping a pace of 3.25 miles+ in 30 min. Why is it then that every time I ride my bike to work (roughly a mile and a half) my lungs feel like they are going to explode and I will die. I cough and wheeze and, no lie, get mad about it. I see no difference between one exercise or the other. They are both aerobic. What's the problem here?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Because the resistance is much lower on the elliptical. IMO, too many females use too low a setting trying to get that "fat burning" mode. If the highest setting is 20, many use 3-8.
    So try this: Whatever the highest setting is, go down 45% from it. Then do the work and come back and let's see if it's comparable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Are you challenging yourself on the elliptical? if you're not constantly pushing your limits you're not building any cardiovascular endurance.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    what Niner said!

resistance plays a big part. my wife can do hours of elliptical and I look over and shes on level 1 and burns 200 calories in twice the amount of time it takes me at level 5.

Cycling is great cardio and not as hard on the knees so I prefer it. Elliptical easy on the knees as well but if your not in cardio mode while doing it there's not enough resistance.
  • kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't forget there may be a terrain issue there too. If your route to work has a slope, at all, but especially a prolonged upwards one (even a relatively small upwards one) then it will be pretty more intense. Just keep biking. It gets easier. And if there is a hill, try and find a route that takes the slope in smaller chunks. It will be longer, no doubt, but it may be easier to handle at first.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    any outdoor allergies?
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    You might want to check your bike to make sure it's in good order. The problem might not even be your fitness level at all. Are your tires properly inflated? Do the brake pads rub the wheel when you're not squeezing them? Everything is greased and you're using an appropriate gear? If you're not mechanically inclined you might want to take it to a bike shop for maintenance.

I've definitely had times where I thought I was getting out of shape and it turned out to be the brakes rubbing.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Unless you have the elliptical set on intervals then you won't be getting the full benefit. For instance you could walk the same distance on flat ground, and then walk the same distance uphill. Which do you think would kick your *kitten* more?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Do you have gears on your bike? It's preferable to ride at a higher cadence (pedal speed) in a high gear, than it is to ride at a low cadence in a low gear.

I would probably recommend that you hit the bike trails near you. If you start doing 5-10 mile rides once a week, your 1.5 will feel like child's play before too long.

Does your gym have spin class? Try doing an hour of that, instead of elliptical, once a week.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    So I love going to the gym and using the elliptical two or three times a week. I never have a problem keeping a pace of 3.25 miles+ in 30 min. Why is it then that every time I ride my bike to work (roughly a mile and a half) my lungs feel like they are going to explode and I will die. I cough and wheeze and, no lie, get mad about it. I see no difference between one exercise or the other. They are both aerobic. What's the problem here?

however, there's a difference between the two exercise.and for a mile and a half, for you to be coughing and wheezing and stuff, i think you just don't know how to use your bike properly.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Both aerobic, but both different. Similar to running, the only way to get better at cycling is TITS (time in the saddle). You're good at elliptical'ing, sure, but it will neither hurt nor help your other endeavors.

Buy an Elliptigo.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Chain lube. Seriously, that stuff is almost like cheating.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You might want to check your bike to make sure it's in good order. The problem might not even be your fitness level at all. Are your tires properly inflated? Do the brake pads rub the wheel when you're not squeezing them? Everything is greased and you're using an appropriate gear? If you're not mechanically inclined you might want to take it to a bike shop for maintenance.

I've definitely had times where I thought I was getting out of shape and it turned out to be the brakes rubbing.

This is my guess. Either that or allergies. Elliptical doesn't translate to bike, but something else is going wrong.
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options
    My two cents:

Elliptical uses different muscles (or uses the same muscles but in a different way) than bicycle riding so they basically aren't comparable. Also, like someone else said, you have outdoor terrain. Any exercise done on a machine is way different than doing the same exercise outside.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    How is your mindset? For me, a flexible distance 30 min run vs a "I've-got-to-get-there-quickly-run" are waaaay different. I can run 10k easy (not in 30 mins :tongue:), but if I think I left the stove on, 1k home leaves me exhausted.
    Also, figuring out your breathing takes a while for any sport.
    Maybe cycle a bit for leisure and see if your experience improves...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Elliptical are machines that not are subjected to terrain, wind, actual hills. Do you have resistance of the air slowing you down as when you are on a bike? They take away some of the push away. They are much like treadmills compared to actual outdoor running. Not saying you can't get a workout from them, just not as much in most cases.

I look at it the same way with weight machines vs free weights. You can gain strength and muscle off both, its just free weights are more efficient.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not a biker, but I have a friend who is. While I get your love of the elliptical, have you ever thought of getting a stand for your bike? The ones where you put your bike on it and can ride it say, in your living room? I realize this still isn't the same as getting out and riding, but I think doing that a night or two a week would help you feel more comfortable, get your breathing regulated, and play with the gears. Then if you could just get out and ride further and longer, like another poster said that 1.5 will start to feel like nothing. And when you do the elliptical, just do it to do it. Or crank up the resistance. Either way, any of these or any combo should help! I also second making sure you get the bike checked over and make sure it is in top order. It may cost a few bucks, but it will be worth it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not a biker, but I have a friend who is. While I get your love of the elliptical, have you ever thought of getting a stand for your bike? The ones where you put your bike on it and can ride it say, in your living room? I realize this still isn't the same as getting out and riding, but I think doing that a night or two a week would help you feel more comfortable, get your breathing regulated, and play with the gears. Then if you could just get out and ride further and longer, like another poster said that 1.5 will start to feel like nothing. And when you do the elliptical, just do it to do it. Or crank up the resistance. Either way, any of these or any combo should help! I also second making sure you get the bike checked over and make sure it is in top order. It may cost a few bucks, but it will be worth it!

cyclist. bikers are something else.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is easy to do 5 miles on the elliptical with no resistance.
    It is not challenging at all.
    I do elliptical, running and cycling.
    On the elliptical, I do intervals at level 6 or 7. Gets my heart rate up pretty high and taxes my legs.
    I run on an incline if on the treadmill.
    My cycle routes involve some really nasty hills, and rough terrain. Even with only 68% lung function, I only get breathless going up the longest, steepest hills. I regularly do 22-25 miles. I suggest challenging yourself more on the elliptical, and mixing things up. Hill sprints will help strengthen your legs. That aside, just spend more time in the saddle and ride through the discomfort if you can.