Not losing weight

Options
Hello,

I started on Phentermine 2 and a half weeks ago and not lose, not even half a pound. I've been doing only 100 g of carbs on a 1200 calorie diet. I've been drinking plenty of water and nothing and I exercise as well and I get my B12 shots every monday. I went for my checkup on the third week and the doctor was shocked that I haven't lost anything, she said everybody loses something by the second week, not me, so she suggested to do test to see if I'm diabetic or if I have a metabolic disorder. I went to my family doctor, he ordered the test for everything 7 different tests, diabetes, insulin resistant, thyroid, hormones, metabolic disorder, you name it, he ordered as many tests as possible, they all came back normal. So that is not why I'm not able to lose weight. The doctor that prescribed the phentermine gave me a 10 day detox and see if that works, so far it's not working. Any ideas why I'm not losing any weight? What else could it be?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How do you know the detox isn't working? What exactly are you poisoned with?

At first glance, your doctor seems like a quack. Prescrips for 32lbs? That seems a bit excessive to me.
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose an ounce until a month later. Now I've lost 20 lbs in 3 months. Pretty sure in most cases, it takes more than 2 weeks when you have just started.
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I missed the first part where you said you were taking Phentermine. I don't know what that is..
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ^^^This.

If you're not losing weight, then you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How old are you? How much do you weigh? How tall are you?

Do you use a food scale?
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options

^^^^ That. I have to say that I soooo do not want to weigh my food. Can I fudge the numbers to compensate? Sigh.
  • EVeronicaJohnson
    Options
    I log everything I eat in the App for MyfitnessPal, I'm following everything correctly, intake of calories, carbs, protein and fat.
  • EVeronicaJohnson
    Options
    I'm 33, I weight 153, I'm 5'3'', and yes I mesure all my protein in a food scale (3 - 4 oz).
  • Julienne443
    Julienne443 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you taken phentermine before? If so, you might be getting immune to it. I did.

Also, I'm not a doctor or anything, but I have always blamed phentermine for my extreme weight GAIN! I initially lost about 30ish pounds on it 138 down to 107!! was a toothpick. Then, when I became immune, I gained 60! My eating habits became 10Xs worse then they ever had been!! If it's not working, maybe it's a sign that it's not for you. It might mess you up in the long run.

I think it's really good that you're getting all those tests! I can't believe that doctor said that EVERYBODY loses with phentermine. What a negative thing to say! You can do it! Just make a few healthy changes at a time. I've lost about 15ish making teeny changes at a time. I have a ways to go, but I am SO much healthier. Today, I wouldn't take phentermine for free. If I could go back in time, I never would have taken it at all.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 33, I weigh 153, I'm 5'3'', and yes I mesure all my protein in a food scale (3 - 4 oz).
    Weigh all your food—not just protein. Weigh everything.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 33, I weight 153, I'm 5'3'', and yes I mesure all my protein in a food scale (3 - 4 oz).

It's frightening your doctor prescribed a weight loss drug to you when you are only a tad bit overweight.

You need to measure ALL foods you consume. Not just protein. You are most likely underestimating or overestimating how many calories you are eating every day.

And by the way, you aren't properly fueling your body eating 1200 calories. This could be another reason why you aren't losing weight.

Your BMR is 1370 and your TDEE is 1883 (assuming you exercise 3 times a week) based on the information you gave me.

If you exercise 3 times a week, you should be eating 1506 calories a day for 15% fat loss (suggested).

ETA: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/