I need help at the gym!!

Options
Good evening MyFitnessPals! I recently joined the gym and I love it. I am an avid biker, in nice weather (and sometimes in not so nice) I ride my bike everywhere. Including the gym! With all of their machines, it seems plausible to get in an awesome cardio workout before doing abs and back, like I plan to do. Thing is, when I am on the elliptical or treadmill and things of that sort I get EXTREMELY bored. I tend to lose focus, even as I am sweating and end up getting off in 15-20 minutes instead of staying on for an hour like I had hoped. I have an exercise bike that I get on at home, I can stay on for hours because while I bike, I play videogames as well. But of course I can't bring my Xbox to the gym and whoop *kitten* in Battlefield. Do you guys have any types for the wandering mind at the gym?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do a progressive lifting routine instead.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

This :)
  • niclsarios
    niclsarios Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I agree with this. It can get to be monotonous, but the constant challenge and results help with that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

double this
  • dmike03
    dmike03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, try listening to music. That's what I do. I put in my ear buds, close my eyes and just get lost in the music. Also try not looking at it like "man, I gotta do an hour of this" I look at it in 20 minute blocks. So I'll tell myself. ok I've done 20min I can do 20 more and so on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

double this

triple this.
  • Int3rceptor
    Int3rceptor Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    An hour on elliptical or treadmill is a long time. I would look at doing around 50 minutes cardio per session but break it up. For example 20 mins elliptical - 20 mins treadmill and 10 mins on a rower.

That should help with the boredom and give you a good
    full body workout. This method has worked for me so far.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

double this

triple this.

quadruple it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

double this

triple this.

quadruple it

fif.jpg
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Same here I get bored as well and end up getting off. Hopefully I can get some ideas too on the responses.
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try searching online for "treadmill interval routines" - the changing pace & incline of these routines help keep it interesting. There are also interval podcasts if you'd rather listen. :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am on cardio machines for no more than 10 mins. Basically...a warm up for lifts. I wouldnt pay to go to a gym for cardio workouts.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I watch Hulu on my cellphone. I'll take a series I've never seen. Only allow myself to watch it when I am on the cardio machines. That way I actually look forward to doing the machine the next day!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things instead - count your bike ride to the gym as your cardio.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into lifting! It'll help your body look lean and firm, and you can switch up exercises so you don't get bored. Plus, strong muscles help prevent injuries while doing cardio.

As far as cardio goes, an hour is a really long time! Try shortening the time, but increasing your intensity. Do some intervals where you sprint as hard as you can on the elliptical for 2 minutes, then ease up for one minute. Repeat for 20 minutes... you should be exhausted and you'll burn more in the long run.

Also, is there a tv at the gym? Can you listen to music on an iPod or read a book on a Kindle?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Another one for 'progressive lifting' at the gym :).

If you enjoy riding your bike for cardio, I'd just do more of that when you want cardio.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Try either listening to music, or, if you have a smart phone or iPad or something like that, download TV shows to watch while you're at the gym.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I always listen to music when I do cardio. Make sure you have a good playlist to listen to. You can Google or Youtube suggestions for music or do a search here. There have been many discussions about what music people like to listen to when they work out.

Second suggestion is break up the cardio sessions. Don't spend all 50 minutes or whatever on the elliptical. Do 20 minutes on it. Do the next 30 minutes (or whatever interval you want to do) on a treadmill or bike. If you break it up the monotony won't get to you and the time seems to go by faster.
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I do 10 minutes cardio machine / 40 minutes weight lifting / 10 minutes cardio machine then stretch when at the gym.

If you enjoy doing your cardio outside, I would use the gym to fulfill other fitness needs.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

double this

triple this.

quadruple it

fif.jpg

Quoting for further emphasis.

For the life of me I cant understand why you would ride your bike to the gym... then go inside and work on an elliptical!

Get a good beginner lifting routine. Outside is for cardio (unless the weather really sucks), inside is for getting strong and shapely with the iron!