ALWAYS STARVING!

Options
2»

Replies

• melissa_bebb
    Options
    I was actually told once to potentially eat up to 30g of protein per meal!! That's a bit high but you can see how you could stand to increase it.

I actually just read that you should target 30g of protein at breakfast.

Thank you all for your input. I looked at my protein goal for the day and it says I should have about 93g. I am only getting about half that. I am going to try and up my protein.

Thanks!
  • avocadoshaped
    avocadoshaped Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat 8oz of greek yogurt 1/2cup of all bran and a touch of honey for breakfast, and it keeps me filled up for a while for only 243 C and 28g of protein, plus the all bran swells if you drink anything.

The other thing I would get rid of the tortillas, they are ridiculously calorie dense.

So more fiber and more fat/protein and there was a study that showed people often mistake hunger for thirst, so drink something if you feel hungry.
  • fancypants3000
    fancypants3000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm often hungry too, especially at night!

But I think that's just how it goes with calorie restriction.

The reason dieting works is because you intake fewer calories than you use for the day. So naturally your body responds by being hungry. More protein may help, fat is very satisfying, and drinking a big glass of water will certainly fill you up without any added calories.

Perhaps we need to embrace this hungry feeling and be okay with it to become our skinny selves. I find the best way to get my mind off of food is to engage in some really interesting or creative activity which is more pleasurable than food.

Easier said than done!
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a massive problem snacking, and graze a lot. I don't stop myself, but replace the things I can graze on with low calorie things. Nibble raw cucumber, celery, raw broccoli (I think it tastes sweeter and nicer than cooked), raw carrots, raw cauliflower (tastes a bit peppery, like rocket). If you don't want to eat them plain, add 1/2 tbsp of unsweetened peanut butter - I melt it in a dish in the microwave to make it runnier - or some natural yoghurt.

More protein personally didn't work for me, but boiled chicken might be worth a try. Once it's cooked through, season it with a bit of salt and pepper, or some salsa or sriracha.

I personally avoid cheese, as much as I love it. It's dense calories, and I never find it filling. The same goes with nuts, fruit and dry seeds. I only ever have them if it's a tsp to tbsp sprinkled on my oatmeal when I have a busy day planned.

I find that fruits like apples and grapes leave me feeling starving 30 minutes later if I eat them on their own. Now I eat them before a meal instead, and have a smaller meal. I think it's the fructose sugars - I've had others tell me they have the exact same reaction to apples.

I always found eating apples made me hungrier! So I've started eating them with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and it has helped keep me full longer. Glad I'm not the only one still hungry after eating an apple :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I see all the tips about more protein. Does anyone have any tips on high protein, low calorie things? Eggs, PB, avocado are all high protein, but high calorie too.

I grill a sirloin steak and a couple of chicken breasts on Sunday afternoons, cut them all up into cubes, and then I have high quality, lean protein to either eat alone cold (I love cold steak) or add to a salad. I just ate three ounces of sirloin with my glass of wine. It was delicous.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try no processed food and more fruit and veggies.
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have this problem on the weekends. I eat a lot and for some reason my tummy is growling not too long later. I drink coffee and water, or get my work out in and that suppresses it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Please help! I really want to lose weight but I just can't stop eating. I'm always hungry. I've been trying to eat more nutritious foods, instead of highly processed, low calorie junk but I just can't seem to eat enough. I have been eating foods high in protein and good fats. I've also been trying to drink plenty of water (I've been averaging around 80 oz a day).

My food dairy from yesterday was as follows:

Breakfast:
    Coffee with 1 sugar packet and 3 tbsps of flavored creamer
    Steel cut oatmeal with 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1 tbsp of PB2

Here's another thing I just noticed. Flavored creamers are more sugar than fat. Maybe try real cream instead? Maybe try two tbsp of half and half and then one tbsp of flavored syrup in lieu of the sugar packet? Or maybe add some traditional breakfast meats like bacon or sausage? That would add both proteins and fats.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I see all the tips about more protein. Does anyone have any tips on high protein, low calorie things? Eggs, PB, avocado are all high protein, but high calorie too.

I grill a sirloin steak and a couple of chicken breasts on Sunday afternoons, cut them all up into cubes, and then I have high quality, lean protein to either eat alone cold (I love cold steak) or add to a salad. I just ate three ounces of sirloin with my glass of wine. It was delicous.

^^ Love it!!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Please help! I really want to lose weight but I just can't stop eating. I'm always hungry. I've been trying to eat more nutritious foods, instead of highly processed, low calorie junk but I just can't seem to eat enough. I have been eating foods high in protein and good fats. I've also been trying to drink plenty of water (I've been averaging around 80 oz a day).

My food dairy from yesterday was as follows:

Breakfast:
    Coffee with 1 sugar packet and 3 tbsps of flavored creamer
    Steel cut oatmeal with 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1 tbsp of PB2

Lunch
    Avacado Egg Salad Wrap (2 hard boiled eggs + 1/2 avacado on flour tortilla)
    Small side salad with spinach, ~ 1 tbsp of cheese, ~2 tbsp of ranch dressing and ~ 2 tbsp of eggs (I didn't pre-pack my salad so I had to approximate. I got it in the cafeteria because I was STILL hungry after my wrap.)
    2 Clementines

Dinner
    Black bean and rice burrito with ~1 tbsp cheese, ~1 tbsp of sour cream and ~2 tbsp of verde salsa
    Caramel Rice Cake with smear of peanut butter and few chocolate chips

Afternoon Snack
    3 slices of Food Lion - New York Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    1 cup grapes
    bag of M&Ms

I realize that this isn't the best diary for a day but I was still hungry after I ate my afternoon snack of cheese/grapes (hence the M&Ms) and still hungry after my burrito (hence the rice cake). I won't even bother posting what I've had today, but I will say it is A LOT and I'm still NOT full! Ugh.

Please give me some tips on things I can tweak, add, or remove that will help me feel full, but stay under my calorie requirements. I'm very frustrated!

From the way you listed your food, you are using measuring cups? Do you have a food scale?

I ask because, although most posts I see comparing the two methods assume a person is eating more than they think if using measuring cups, I found the opposite to be true when I finally bought a food scale. I was underestimating what I was eating by about 300-400 calories a day when using measuring cups or eyeballing 'half an avocado.' A favorite filling snack I eat almost every day is salted peanuts - where I thought I was eating two servings, I was eating closer to one serving, a difference of over 100 calories right there. Might not apply to you, just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • GeapetCore
    GeapetCore Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Low cal and high protein - how about one half cup of lactaid cottage cheese has 12 gram of protein for only 80 calories - not sure about dairy cottage cheese