The future 300 pound Physician Assistant--My name is Grace

Options
Hello everyone my name is Grace, I'm currently 21 years young, I live in Des Moines IA in an apartment with my boyfriend of almost two years and his twin brother.

Basically I'm here today because I made this profile a few months ago, lost motivation for the 5,000th time and gave up on it.

However, I always come back to it because I know deep in my heart, my obesity is causing so much stress on my body, when I was younger, I managed to dodge my health ailments (other than getting pre diabetes but my cholesterol and blood pressure were completely normal). Lot of my problems came to be once I moved out (I used to live on a farm where I actually began to lose weight due to having access to a large and bountiful garden, fresh air and room to run and have fun.)

Moving in with my boyfriend has put me from a once chunky 230 to a whopping 300 (probably more) pounds.

Once I visited the doctor for the first time in years he informed me that I'm pre hypertensive, I've been complaining about severe heart palpitations that have kept me up all night, unexplained dizziness and lightheartedness, is a factor in my hypertensive state.

This woke me up big time, not only because of that but because I'm going into the healthcare field to become a Physician's Assistant, I thought to myself;

"Do I want to suggest to my patients who are having all these health issues while I myself am just as bad? Who would listen to a chubby PA?"

The time is now to change my life, I have ALWAYS been big, my mother and my two other brothers often ate pizza, fast food, pop, sweets, instant rice and lots and lots of pasta from a box. Basically it's all my mother could afford at the time and I love my mother, however, I feel I learned most of my unhealthy eating habits when I was younger. I was also very sheltered and quiet for the most part.

A good portion of my family is overweight or obese; cancer, Alzheimer and diabetes runs in our family, I want to do everything I can in my power to prevent it or at least lower my risks.

My clothes that I bought a few months ago no longer fit (I now wear a size 24/26 up from the 18/20 I once was) I'm always tired, my insomnia is at an all time high, I my clinical depression has intensified, my skins bad, hairs bad, it's just all... Bad.

It's time to change, tomorrow I'm going with my friend to apply for a gym membership, once I seal the deal that's it, the war is on. :)

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    would you be interested doing check ins with each other?
    Im 20 years old in nursing school.
    Start slowly, you can do this. Believe in your self 100%!!!
  • mylovelylullaby
    Options
    Yes of course! Nice to hear from a fellow student in the medical field! :D
  • Veronikkka
    Veronikkka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome.
    The motivation is the main thing, you can do what ever you want to do if you know why you are doing it and if you still want it.
    I never was that big but my body was struggle with extra 20kgs I got over few years.
    I do not like diet. Diet makes me feel miserable like I deprive myself from something important.
    This site is absolute life saver for me, because it's educates me what I eat and how much. I always thought that I eat healthy, but when I started to keep my food record journal I realise that it was not quite true.

It's going to be a bit or very hard and the start, possibly first 7-10 day, as your body will go to "detox" mode, but hold on it will pass, but keep telling yourself that you feel weak or hungry as a part of your transformation from a caterpillar to a butterfly, keep telling yourself that it's a good desirable effect, and you brain and body will accept it. You know, nothing in life can be achieved without some sort of "suffering", sacrifice or what ever you would like to call it. I am midwife and I see hole life in this perspective, we all have to conserve "baby"- IDEA, then "birth" it in pain and agony, and only after that we are going to have our "baby"- RESULT.

I don't know how you doing it in LA, but in NZ we still do thing old fashion way :), and it's always great result.
    So, keep dreaming big, or in your case SMALL. Keep wanting and and keep doing, there is a way.

Good luck
    Victoria :)
  • IslandSeeker
    Options
    Add me if you would like! I am doing the Primal thing (back to MFP just about 2 weeks ago, too), but have friends doing other avenues for better health. You can do this, and it sounds like you have hit that point to make the turn around - let that motivate you!! :flowerforyou:

PS: My hubby is from Des Moines & I am from Cedar Rapids originally. We reside in Cincinnati now tho.
  • abaumann123
    Options
    Sounds like you are very motivated. You can do it!

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Log every day and try to move every day.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Welcome from a fellow 300 pound of bought and paid for sexy man flab! I also slide backwards as well ( I've been back on the wagon for 4 days!) I lost 60 lbs returning from one of my trips overseas which was easy in the conditions and well ate my feelings and life got a hold of me and bam, I'm the biggest I've ever been now.

As others have encouraged me, the fact that you came back and didn't give up shows your not a quitter and you can do it. Look at all the success the amazing community shows with all the encouragement and tips.

I'm not that experienced with weigh loss aka dieting but on the same journey, feel free to add me as a friend if you want and we can keep each other going!

Pat