Finding a balance for heavy lifting and distance running

Options
Here's my situation:

I spent all winter sheltering from the rain and lifting weights in the gym, with results that make me happy and feeling strong and more trim. I did almost no cardio because cardio machine workouts are, to me, unbearable for more than a 10 minute sprint.

This summer I have a couple races (a 10k and a half marathon) that I would like to improve last year's time on. Big goal is to shave 2 minutes off my time for a finish JUST under 2 hours.

So, my question is, can I still lift as heavy as I can so that I can retain/increase the enjoyable muscle gain and still be able to go on long runs without feeling like a ball of cramps?

If anyone has any good training/recovery/nutrition resources, I would really appreciate the suggestions.

Gracias!

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Font of knowledge. Much appreciated.

Allow me to rephrase...

HOW can I still lift as heavy as I can so that I can retain/increase the enjoyable muscle gain and still be able to go on long runs without feeling like a ball of cramps?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It can be done.

For me I usually train on maintenance or even deficit than when on a bulk.

You can check out my food diary if you like, although I eat a lot. Any where from 3000-5000+ a day.

The thing is either your gains are going to take a hit or your running. If you want to improve your times then I would focus on your running and only lift maximum three times a week, if you can twice. Squats, deads, step ups and lunges all help me on my running. Also hill sprints repeats which can be done immediately after or hill work on your off days.

The hill repeats will not only work your cardio but is the one cardio exercise that has proven to add muscle if you are eating at a surplus.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    In my experience I have had to focus on one at a time. Still do both, but train one primary and the other secondary. So when I'm lifting I do a couple runs...maybe even just one long run per week. When I'm training running, I lift 2x/week full body. I also try to maintain a deficit. I think it really depends on a persons recovery and if you have goals associated to fat loss/body composition In addition to fitness goals.
  • Jessintherain
    Options
    It can be done.

You can check out my food diary if you like, although I eat a lot. Any where from 3000-5000+ a day.

The thing is either your gains are going to take a hit or your running. If you want to improve your times then I would focus on your running and only lift maximum three times a week, if you can twice. Squats, deads, step ups and lunges all help me on my running. Also hill sprints repeats which can be done immediately after or hill work on your off days.

The hill repeats will not only work your cardio but is the one cardio exercise that has proven to add muscle if you are eating at a surplus.

Thanks! my main worry is that if I lift Mon/Wed/Fri and run the other days my legs will feel weak and my endurance will be at a low, especially for my long run of the week. I love running trails, and the hills are the best part, but are killer after doing squats/lunges etc. the day before. I would like to cut down on that pain a little. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In all honesty it is pretty hard to do progressive heavy lifting and distance training. Usually you have to focus on one or the other. It does depends on how many miles a week you are running. I think its doable for the 10k, and you'll have to play it by ear for the half. I can't do it for a marathon.

Things that I find to be important -

-eating at maintenance. You'll be super hungry, and will have to fuel.
    -lots of protein. I do a bit more than 1g/lb lean mass for high-mileage training. My lean mass is about 113 lbs, and I aim for 130g
    -don't make the day before/after the long run squat or deadlift day. Its pretty difficult to do those lifts before a speed run as well.

I will tend to do 5 running days, and 2 full body lifting days (doubling up on an easy run day), with one full rest day when in run training.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have not struck the balance. I believe to improve running you must sacrifice gains. For what it's worth, though, I'd say keep lifting but maybe back down to 2 sessions/week in the 10-15 rep range rather than strength range and see how you feel. Maintaining muscle is easier than putting it on. You have to make sure you eat enough food, but you don't need to keep lifting progressively just to keep what's already there. Increase carbs, reduce protein to .8g/kg body weight (bare minimum) and eat at maintenance to improve running speed. Then run. And run. And run some more.

Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well. Yes and no.

For all the lifters/runners I know, myself included, you generally want to pick one to focus on and one to just maintain. So all winter I've focused on running and I was only lifting two days per week. I tried progressing both at the same time and it didn't go well at all. Now I've switched over to lifting 4 days per week so I'm down to the bare minimum on running.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can do both. understand that if you want to improve on one, you'll have to go lighter in the other. that being said, you can have a great running season and still lift heavy. you'll have to be really on point with your diet. probably go to maintenance calories, since you'll be creating a deficit with your running.

as far as your legs being weak, you'll have to do two things: plan your workouts accordingly, and also just suck it up. rule of thumb is not to schedule a leg lifting work out the day after a big run.

you mentioned you lift mon-wed-fri. full body work outs, or the strong lifts 5x5 work out? if you plan accordingly, you can work running around that.

in fact, i bet if you google "5x5 and half marathon training," you'll find some schedules out there
  • Jessintherain
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I am always super hungry on the days that follow weight day, so I'm going to TRY to do my runs in the morning as well and then very much look forward to eating all day long after that. :D
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Its a juggling act for sure. The big thing is to keep your hard leg day before or after your long run. It will take a few weeks to adjust to doing both. I'd lift 2-3 days and run 3 days with one off or a very light active recovery day.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It can be done.

Thanks! my main worry is that if I lift Mon/Wed/Fri and run the other days my legs will feel weak and my endurance will be at a low, especially for my long run of the week. I love running trails, and the hills are the best part, but are killer after doing squats/lunges etc. the day before. I would like to cut down on that pain a little. :)

If you are doing total body workouts, I am hard pressed to think of a reason why one would want to lift more than two days per week.

So the answer is: don't do squats/lunges, etc the day before a long run.

While I generally have disdain for the overuse of the "cardio burns muscle" meme, it is a fact that gaining muscle and long-distance running are not the best mix, especially if your goal is to increase your performance in a distance like a half-marathon.

Personally, I would cut back on lifting volume (not necessarily intensity) and focus on meeting your running goals. You might experience some modest loss of muscle (which will likely help your running performance), but it's a straightforward process to regain it once you cut back on running.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    you can do both. understand that if you want to improve on one, you'll have to go lighter in the other. that being said, you can have a great running season and still lift heavy. you'll have to be really on point with your diet. probably go to maintenance calories, since you'll be creating a deficit with your running.

as far as your legs being weak, you'll have to do two things: plan your workouts accordingly, and also just suck it up. rule of thumb is not to schedule a leg lifting work out the day after a big run.

you mentioned you lift mon-wed-fri. full body work outs, or the strong lifts 5x5 work out? if you plan accordingly, you can work running around that.

in fact, i bet if you google "5x5 and half marathon training," you'll find some schedules out there

Oh so THAT'S why my lifting sucked on Monday and I thought I was going to die Tuesday. I really should be smarter than this...
    After having personally experience that one OP, DON'T DO THAT. :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I am always super hungry on the days that follow weight day, so I'm going to TRY to do my runs in the morning as well and then very much look forward to eating all day long after that. :D

you need to fuel your body! the worst is having a bonk in the middle of a long run, and being a long way from home.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Strength gains will help running. However, you're probably going to need to find a seasonal balance. Plenty of protein and some resistance through running season to maintain muscle mass. Try bulking during lifting season to maximize gains.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Oh so THAT'S why my lifting sucked on Monday and I thought I was going to die Tuesday. I really should be smarter than this...
    After having personally experience that one OP, DON'T DO THAT. :laugh:

The reverse is bad too. Best case is to put a rest day at least in between leg day and a long run day.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

you need to fuel your body! the worst is having a bonk in the middle of a long run, and being a long way from home.

aaaaand, done that one too.

ETA I had the rest day before, just didn't think about that it was squat a DL day on Monday.....
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm following Hal Higdon's Intermediate 10k training guide. His training schedule includes 3 days for lifting. I did great for 2.5 weeks, PR'd left and right.... then I crashed. The program is great, but I realize now that in order to keep improving on my running, I really need to lighten the weights that I lift for a while.

After my 10k, I'm going to switch it up so that weight lifting is my primary form of exercise. No matter how excited I am to PR in running, my ego won't accept those lighter squats for long... :grumble:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I echo pretty much what everyone is saying here, you will have to find a balance you are happy with. Performance in each will not be as good as if you had concentrated on just one.

In my own personal experience, my lower body lifts progressed slower when I started running. Recovery was harder. Doing squats the day after a run did not work well, leaving a rest day after a run before my next lifting day worked better as far as recovery and lifting performance.

When I had to take a break from my lower body lifts due to a back injury, my running speed improved quite a bit. I went from a 8:15 pace to a 8:00 pace on my 10k practice runs.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    10k or half are very compatible with strength training and you could definitely still make strength gains if you're not afraid to eat. I find i train seasonally now. I tend to run shorter in summer but lift heavier and vice versa in the winter