Should I eat back my exercise calories? *Open diary

Options
I already know that MFP does not include the amount of calories you burn into its estimation of your required intake, however I'm still nervous and unsure. My daily goal is 1200 calories. Today, I ate 1200 calories & burned around 500 calories through intentional exercise. I completed my log, but then I started getting intense hunger pangs... And simply wondered maybe I'm still not eating enough. My diary is open so you can have a look for yourself.

IMPORTANT SIDENOTE: I am recovering from disordered eating (restricting/binge cycles.) Today has been my first day of eating a fixed amount of 1200 calories - which is actually a lot of calories for me - at least for the majority of the time. I just want to get back to normal eating, and eventually to losing weight again on 1200 calories.

My question is however, am i really eating 1200 calories? If I'm supposed to be eating back the majority of my exercise cals, and im not, does that mean I'm actually only eating 700 calories?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what it means. Eat back at least half of your burn.
  • Julienne443
    Julienne443 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but if you net 700 and you are still hungry, then eat something! :D As long as you're netting no more than 1200ish, then you should be okay.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My question is however, am i really eating 1200 calories? If I'm supposed to be eating back the majority of my exercise cals, and im not, does that mean I'm actually only eating 700 calories?

as of the time of this post it shows you have eaten 1201 calories, the green number below is the "allowable" to reach your goal you entered. If you wish to eat back your exercise calories you need to eat 1700 for today.

1200+500=1700

If you chose to eat your exercise calories or not it is up to you, many have strong opinions which I am sure will be shared.
  • Amanda_Bridges90
    Amanda_Bridges90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've heard it both ways. A lot of people have strong opinions on this. What works best for me is I try not to eat my calories I burned; however, if I am still hungry, I will eat at least some of the calories. I definitely eat 1200 per day though regardless if I work out or not.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'd not eat my cardio calories back, my body needs fuel to do them 5-6 days a week along with lifting 3 times a week so I eat them back. I'm still losing weight too :)