• Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ah, I did get you mixed up. Sorry! :embarassed:
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    LOL, no problem.

I second what girlinahat says about diving the invisible wreck as well... had it happen but that was more due to visibility than the skipper dropping us in the wrong place.

I've had dives where I was going down the shot waiting to clear the algae bloom and plankton and realized ti was not going to clear it as I hit the wreck with a thunk. took a very quick look around, gave up due to the visibility (lack thereof) and went back up to the surface.

I've also had dives here where it looked murky as at the surface but then cleared up at 10m or so and was like doing a cold night dive on the wreck.

You never know what you're going to get so it's always interesting.

I also agree that we tend to do more diving as pairs/solo in the UK and tend to have to be much more self sufficient as it's not guided dives like in the Red Sea or some liveaboards. There is no guide. If something goes wrong, it's up to you and/or your buddy to sort it out.

So, I love the mental aspect of planning the dives and learning about what i'm going to see as well as the freedom of being in the water.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add the plus side to diving in the uk - it's not all low vis and missing wrecks!!

The fun for me is the mental challenge of being on your own (albeit with a buddy) underwater. You have to know your skills and also know your marine life - the more you know about the creatures the better you'll be able to spot them - lobsters hiding under rocks, conger eels in ships boilers, the fabulous tompot blenny etc. The moment you first spot a 1/3 inch long sea slug yourself ( and try pointing it out to your buddy) is the point you start seeing them everywhere. Some people think UK waters are dull and grey. Theyve clearly never seen a blanket of jewel anemones....

And catching your own scallops and eating them fresh and raw on the boat? Worth burning a few calories!!!

Personally I prefer UK diving for the challenge, but now and then a nice bit of less hassle tropical guided diving is good too!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Diver here. It seems high to me too. Do you have a HRM go deep enough for you to get a better idea?

Also found this site: http://www.exercise.com/activity/scuba-diving
  • diverchic73
    Options
    Just wanted to add the plus side to diving in the uk - it's not all low vis and missing wrecks!!

The fun for me is the mental challenge of being on your own (albeit with a buddy) underwater. You have to know your skills and also know your marine life - the more you know about the creatures the better you'll be able to spot them - lobsters hiding under rocks, conger eels in ships boilers, the fabulous tompot blenny etc. The moment you first spot a 1/3 inch long sea slug yourself ( and try pointing it out to your buddy) is the point you start seeing them everywhere. Some people think UK waters are dull and grey. Theyve clearly never seen a blanket of jewel anemones....

And catching your own scallops and eating them fresh and raw on the boat? Worth burning a few calories!!!

Personally I prefer UK diving for the challenge, but now and then a nice bit of less hassle tropical guided diving is good too!!

oops, :blushing: , I didn't realize how negative that may come across... I just love being in the water so much the conditions don't really bother me if they're not great.... and I did just come back from three cracking dives in low vis but the dives themselves were BRILLIANT so don't necessarily see it as a negative.

I have done some amazing dives with the seals in the Farne Islands... the first you'll know a seal is around is when you feel a little pull on your fin and look back and there's a seal nibbling on it! They'll even come in for cuddles and play with you which means you'll be diving and walking around with an ear to ear grin for ages.

The history of the wrecks is fantastic - I've dived the scuttled German fleet in Scapa Flow. The sense of the size of the ships and the history.

Spotting nudibranchs in the UK is another fave pastime underwater.

So, there are LOADS of positives about diving in the UK and it is def not all bad vis and missing wrecks! :blushing:

393812224_JXP4w-M.jpg
    how could you not love a dive where this cheeky chappy comes to play?
  • girlinahat
    Options
    oops, :blushing: , I didn't realize how negative that may come across... I just love being in the water so much the conditions don't really bother me if they're not great.... and I did just come back from three cracking dives in low vis but the dives themselves were BRILLIANT so don't necessarily see it as a negative.

Not at all!! I thought I was the one painting a bleak picture!!

One of my most memorable dives was exceptionally low vis (you could only see things if you shone a torch directly at them). I lost my buddy at the bottom of the shot, fell off the wreck and had to spend a good few minutes calming down before I made my way to the surface. In some ways it was terrifying, in others it was an exceptionally good learning experience.

Sadly my only trip to the Farnes was bad weather - we got smashed against the rocks, I punched a hole in my wrist seal and only got half a dive. I have managed seals in the Scillies though...and Lundyand they are great fun as long as you don't give them your fingers to play with!!!!
  • diverchic73
    Options
    LOL - I think you and I are in the same mindset when it comes to what others would call 'crap dives'. I think that some of my worst dives are the best because I have learned the most from them!

Doing my solo diver course I was going along using my smb as a reference due to very low vis in the quarry I was in. Let go of my reel so I could do shut down drills. When I went to get my reel again it was gone. Not a concern as I was comfortable enough to no longer need the reference and it was a quarry so I figured I'd just find it at the surface. My instructor had clipped it on the back of my cylinders so I was pulling it along the whole time without realizing! One of the things they do as part of the course is see how many things can go wrong, how you handle the stress and also have you practice as if things had failed so you are comfortable with it. By the end of the dive I'd lost my smb/reel, had one of the shoulder straps of my harness 'break' (unclipped) and lost a fin.

Was great fun and I know that I can handle a serious amount of kit failure and stay calm and collected :smile:

Where do you normally dive?
  • girlinahat
    Options
    LOL - I think you and I are in the same mindset when it comes to what others would call 'crap dives'. I think that some of my worst dives are the best because I have learned the most from them!

Doing my solo diver course I was going along using my smb as a reference due to very low vis in the quarry I was in. Let go of my reel so I could do shut down drills. When I went to get my reel again it was gone. Not a concern as I was comfortable enough to no longer need the reference and it was a quarry so I figured I'd just find it at the surface. My instructor had clipped it on the back of my cylinders so I was pulling it along the whole time without realizing! One of the things they do as part of the course is see how many things can go wrong, how you handle the stress and also have you practice as if things had failed so you are comfortable with it. By the end of the dive I'd lost my smb/reel, had one of the shoulder straps of my harness 'break' (unclipped) and lost a fin.

Was great fun and I know that I can handle a serious amount of kit failure and stay calm and collected :smile:

Where do you normally dive?

Not done a solo diver course but I am firmly of the belief that everyone should be capable of diving solo. Having been in a couple of minor incidents, I know that my buddy cannot and should not be relied on. Of course it is always nice to dive with someone else so you can point things out to them and make them carry the heavy bag of scallops....

I also like the way BSAC teaches you rescue straight off the bat (pros and cons to that). Thankfully I've never had to put it into practice but it's always good to know how to land a winchman on a moving boat!!

I normally dive in the Southwest of England. We have a boat down in Plymouth, but Corwall, South Devon, Dorset, Lundy, Shetlands, Farnes, St. Abbs and Littlehampton have all been dives I have done. Ireland will be a first for me in a couple of months. My computer is in hospital so am waiting eagerly for that to come back before I get a chance to jump in the water again.
  • Bikeminx
    Bikeminx Posts: 51
    Options
    I just tried scuba diving and I have to say I'm hooked! Any opportunity to do some more and I'll take it! My first dive was from a cove as I got tutoring in shallow water and the walk to the beach from the car in full scuba gear in 30 degrees must have burnt 500 calories alone haha!!!

As for burning calories during im not sure. The water provides us with resistance so all the movements are harder but that does seem a little high. I'd compare it to 30 mins of casual swimming unless as speculated the pressure has an effect.

As a side note though I also tried surfing and ... Oh my ... I've never been so exhausted in my LIFE! No wonder surfers are pretty fit!
  • diverchic73
    Options
    Ah, I don't really belong to a club... there is one associated with the dive shop I normally go to but I got a bit sick of the politics so gave up. I've never done BSAC training but think that a combination of BSAC and PADI training would probably be best but unfortunately it's not feasible so there will continue to be different agencies and training methods.

I agree re not wanting to depend on my buddy... I hate when it turns into a 'diving the same ocean' buddy pairing when not expecting it/prepared for it. Normally I'll dive with people I know well or go out on a boat where the skipper knows me and is happy with me soloing.

Am down in Portland in a week and can't wait - was there last weekend too!

Am doing the solo course just to make sure that an instructor I have a HUGE amount of respect for feels I am competent enough to do so... and so I can show a cert card and absolve the skipper of any 'why were they diving solo' questions that may arise if anything was to happen and I was on a solo dive.

I am a firm believer in continually learning to make myself a safer diver :-)
  • girlinahat
    Options
    politics schmolitics. Yeah - any group will have politics, and that is probably why I am no longer on the committee.... But our club has a couple of boats and organises some good trips, so I figure that's a good reason to just let the politics wash over me (besides - the scandals!!!!!)

I'm originaly PADI trained, and can see the benefits, it's just the club worked for me. I like some of their specialty courses and will probably do some of those as well. What I don't like are the way they offer a zero-to-hero course - I watched an 18year old go straight to DM level in Turkey, and he kept telling me he was better than me with a quarter the dives in the same location (thankfully he wasn't a complete numpty but qualifications aren't everything!!! (and I don't class myself as an experienced diver either!!))

I often end up with different random buddies which can be annoying. I don't like buddies that keep too close. I suppose if they are so close that my fins kick their mask off, well.....not a lot I can do about that. Others will have a different style of diving - some buddies are of the high-speed variety, zoom around the wreck looking for something but never seeing anything. I quite like diving with photographers - at least you can go off for ten minutes and poke around, come back and they'll be in the EXACT same space you left them!!!

My favourite buddy moved away, but she taught me a lot - not least by frequently losing me!!!

Who are you diving with off the Bill? We dive with Tango down at Weymouth when we go there. And fish and chips on the harbour at the end of a weekend diving? Priceless (okay, not quite MFP friendly.....)

:)
  • diverchic73
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean about zero to hero... some people I wouldn't want to be on the same boat with are starting their instructor course this week! I have heard that they have improved a lot but would still rather not risk it.

I'd be tempted to do the BSAC thing but would have to retrain myself to dive their way... for instance, I dive a hog looped twin set and that's a bit bsac no no but it is what I am used to, most comfortable with and will not change it as I think it works very well. I also don't have a car so would be crap at the pay it forward aspect of the club.

I dive with Scimitar out of Portland. I like their crew, conscientiousness and the fact that I can go from the Hotel Aqua, across the parking lot and I'm there LOL.

I've not done fish and chips on the harbour cos I tend to stay on the island (and am not a huge fan of fish and chips) which is lucky... I have enough bad food habits to more than make up for it! LOL
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Thankfully the numpties are few and far between in my club (there are a couple I will not buddy with) and I'm probably guilty of idiocy myself at times (aren't we all).

The best thing I ever did was the Instructor Foundation Course. It teaches you basic techniques for instructing with the view to going on to do the full training. I've not really had an opportunity to help instruct but what it really taught me was more of an awareness of my own skills (and areas where improvement is needed). By teaching others, you really hone your own skills.

I doubt our club would have many problems with hog-rigging, and I know that the general consensus is that they have to instruct what BSAC wants, but they can't stop you doing what you like. Many of our members are techie divers (we also have a fair number of BBC and other underwater professional camera people). I just rebel with my single 12!!!

I want to do a Free-dive course soon to really get my breathing to super-human levels. I'm just a bit nervous about the idea - certainly with equalising as I've eaten too much cheese of late!!!
  • diverchic73
    Options
    LOL Sometimes I find it fun to put on a single and remember when I thought that was heavy. I'm still doing my DM training so get to wear a single when doing that. I don't own a 12l any more but have kept my bcd and single reg set.

A friend of mine has just taken up free diving and she loves it! After years of diving and doing all up to tech instructing she is loving exploring a new way of diving - which is less expensive than the rebreather she wants.

I'm thinking of giving it a go at some point as well but have too much on my plate right now.

Are you on YD by any chance?
  • scrowell52
    Options
    Calories Burned While Scuba Diving

This calculator determines the number of calories you burn during an average scuba dive based on your weight and total bottom time. The average scuba diver burns .053 calories per minute per pound (.1166 calories per minute per kilogram). By comparison, the average person burns .009 min/lb (.0198 min/kg) sitting still and .048 min/lb (.1058 min/kg) walking fast. So keep scuba diving and burn those calories!

Found on Divebuddy.com
  • rhondaEGY
    rhondaEGY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a SCUBA Diving Instructor in Egypt, and I can tell you why the energy used while scuba diving is so high. There are 2 reasons:

1.) Your body temperature is 98.6 F (37 C), so even while diving in tropical waters where the water temperature is 80 F (~27 C), even though the water is warm, it is still taking heat from your body, because the water temperature is sill much less than your body temperature. Plus being submerged for some time reduces your core body temperature, so if you are making 2 or 3 dives per day, you get cold much faster on each successive dive. And if you dive multiple days in a row, doing repetitive dives, then each successive day your body is working over time to stay warm, even for hours after diving.

2.) Your body is working much harder under increased barometric pressure than you think. Even if you were to go just sit on the sea floor in 65 feet (20 meters),and do nothing but sit there, your body is burning a lot of energy to resist the pressure. Each 10 meters is +1 atmosphere of pressure, so at 20 meters, the barometric pressure is triple what it is on the surface. At 20 meters you are in 3 atmospheres of pressure. Your body adapts to this pressure naturally and you don't feel it.

Add to these to factors, that you are swimming while carrying a lot of weight, (45 - 55 lbs between your weight belt and tank), plus on the surface before and after the dive, and also maybe walking a bit, climbing the boat ladder, and for each hour of Scuba diving you burn the same amount of energy as 1 hour of running.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    In for answers. All the estimates I've seen in the past look way too high. That said, I can eat like a pig on a week's live-aboard and still lose weight, so maybe there's something in it...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,614 Member
    Options
    I am reviving this thread rather than starting a new one. I was very surprised that MFP said 90 minutes of SCUBA diving expended 736 calories. This is about the same as an hour of vigorous lap swimming. That can't be. As another comparison, I was on a stationary bike doing an intense interval workout today for 32 minutes, my pulse was up to and over the peak range during the strenuous part, and the machine told me I expended 300 calories. There's no way 90 minutes of diving is the same energy expenditure as an hour of high intensity interval training.

In general I try to use very little effort when diving. Aside from extending dive time from being easy on the air, it's advised NOT to do strenuous activity while diving or 24 hours afterwards to reduce the chances of getting decompression sickness (DCS). In the case of my dives yesterday, I actually was working. I'm a dive volunteer at a non-profit aquarium. Some of our tasks do take effort. But nothing like swimming laps or getting to peak heart rate on a cardio machine. In fact, as breathing rate goes up, the regulator can only give so much air, and it can get kind of panicky. Been there, done that. You just have to relax and breathe a minute or two and things get better. For tech divers using rebreathers at depth, it's extremely dangerous to have increased breathing rate due to partial pressure of gasses. It can be quickly fatal. I'm not a tech diver.

I searched at Divers Alert Network (DAN) to see if they had published any data on caloric effort from diving. No luck. I wonder where the estimates on MFP came from. Anybody know?

I wear a drysuit with a warm undergarment. Even in 45 degree water, I stay fairly warm unless I'm not doing any activity. My fingers get cold sometimes. Effort or not, there's usually dampness on the exterior of my undergarment up against the inside of the drysuit. Perspiration happens. It's nothing like what I sweat out on the cardio machines. No way.

I find it interesting that there are 14 different choices for bicycling (seven each for actually riding and for stationary bikes). There's ONE entry for SCUBA, free diving, and snorkeling. I think that it would be possible to link caloric effort to air consumption. When I download data from my dive computer, the Oceanic software calculates a Surface Air Consumption (SAC) rate. It normalizes the gas you use at any depth to what you most likely would have used on the surface. All else being equal, an experienced diver with good buoyancy control will have a lower SAC rate than a new diver. That new diver will be doing more work. For a given diver, especially an experienced one, the SAC rate increases as effort increases. An example; three weeks ago I did a 54 minute dive that wasn't very energetic. I slowly moved along the bottom following another diver. My SAC rate was 0.505 cuft/min. A second 50 minute dive was more energetic; hovering around 12 feet deep near the tunnel watching for sharks while a working diver cleaned the acrylic. My SAC rate for that dive was 0.627 cuft/min. My dives yesterday were more energetic than that; I was the one cleaning the acrylic as well as the windows and lights underneath the tunnel. That job usually gets my breathing up. My SAC rates were 0.653 and 0.686 cuft/min. When I get on that stationary bike or elliptical or treadmill, I can guarantee I'm breathing more than two thirds of a cubic foot of air per minute. I'm huffing!

How can this estimate be improved?