Protein powder??

Options
Rebamae
Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
I have seen many mentions of protein powder. Would you please explain to me how you use it, what brand you buy
and whatever information I need for it?

I appreciate your help!
Thanks
Reba

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The simplest use is to mix with water or milk to supplement your protein intake. I think most people put it in smoothies, because it seems to mix better with more ingredients than just liquid. My default smoothie recipe includes yogurt, coconut milk, frozen berries, and whatever leafy greens I have (usually spinach).

But you can use your imagination. My nephew is a picky eater who will pretty much only eat bread. So my sister bakes home-made bread for him with chocolate protein powder.

The food you add it to, will depend on your diet restrictions. For example, I'm low-carb so no protein bread for me and I only use a small amount of berries. A lot of people load up on vegetables by using them in smoothies - which is a great idea if you don't like vegetables. It makes them much more palatable.

It's usually available chocolate or vanilla flavored.

I've seen two kinds: Whey and Soy. A trainer once told me that whey protein is better, but I can't remember why. I personally have no brand preference, I try to buy it in bulk because it lasts a long time and I use it nearly every day. So it's a question of picking the best volume value. I've never had any that I didn't like, nor any that stood out above the rest.

One piece of advice for starting up: The brand I bought came with a scoop that's about 1/4 cup. This adds 27 grams of protein. I found, to begin, that I couldn't stand that much. So I just used half a scoop for a while, then increased it to a full scoop when I got used to it.

I suppose one question you might want to consider before getting into protein supplements, is how much protein you should be eating. Do a Google search to find out how to calculate this. The source I read (if I remember correctly) said to have 0.36 g protein per lb of lean body weight to maintain lean body mass; or 0.7 g per lb to increase lean body mass. That same source recommended 0.7 g/lb for people trying to lose weight.

Notice that says "lean body weight". So you'll also have to estimate your percent body fat to calculate your lean body weight. I used a bathroom scale with a feature that calculates % body fat. There are also several formulas involving measuring various parts of your body. I don't know what's more accurate, but I figure I just need to get in the ballpark (especially since I used 0.7 g/lb rather than the maintenance number).

I didn't know anything about that when I started using protein powder. Which is probably why I didn't use it consistently for a long time. Now I understand and I use it as needed to make sure I meet my protein needs.

That's all that comes to my mind about protein powder. Good luck!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different ones and love this one the best

Sunwarrior Warrior Blend

No added weird stuff. Some of them add aspartame or other sugar substitutes which just made me sick to my stomach.

I will have one once a day mixed with just water or almond milk. People use them in different ways. I use them as a snack or replacement meal.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information! I wondered if I needed to be using this. Thanks for answering the questions!
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've tried multiple brands, all highly rated for taste and such... but I've found you just have to try a few to find one you like. I liked dymatize casein (cinnamon bun and cookies and cream flavors) the most. My wife likes optimum nutrition casein chocolate the most.

Casein, whey, egg... it doesn't really matter. Some hardcore bodybuiders may benefit from the absorption rate of different proteins... but I don't think it matters for most people.

As for amount of protein per day... people are all over the place for what they consider the "right" amount.

One study here, that I tend to believe (0.82 grams per pound of body weight per day is sufficient.):

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Protein powder is a supplement... try to get most or all of your protein from food if you can, and supplement with protein powder if you need to.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A lot of people make shakes/smoothies. Some good recipes are here:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/

As the author says, cottage cheese sounds weird, but if you follow the directions, they turn out quite nice. Almost indistinguishable from a real milkshake . . . :)
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

As for amount of protein per day... people are all over the place for what they consider the "right" amount.

One study here, that I tend to believe (0.82 grams per pound of body weight per day is sufficient.):

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Thank you for sharing that article. I do notice two things: 0.82 grams appears to be a maximum; more than that is never necessary. Meaning some people might need less. The 2nd thing is that it's in the context of bodybuilders, who naturally need more protein than somebody who just wants to lose weight without losing muscle.

What I was reading (I think it was the one I linked at the bottom of this post) they suggested how much protein you need depends on your activity level. I'm not saying that contradicts with that bayesianbodybuilding article; just that there may be some lower ranges as well as the 0.82g/lb max. that would be appropriate.

But you're certainly right about recommendations being "all over the place".
    I haven't tried dymatize, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-protein-should-you-be-eating/#axzz2yYDVXyMT
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Using the protein powder after work outs helps the muscle heal faster. Increases of protein and calories together can help your muscle bulk.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    By tracking your food intake, you can find out what amount of protein works best for you. I was aiming for 1g per pound, but at 200+ pounds, that's a hard number to hit. I've found that I do well if I eat around 150g of protein. If my calculations are correct, that's about .68g per pound.

I'm not sure that you *need* that much protein. In my case, my body doesn't like too many carbs. So if the majority of my daily calories are from protein, that means I'm not eating too many carbs. Also, most of the junk/processed foods are high-carb, whereas your good sources of protein are not junky. So high-protein foods, generally speaking, are better for you than high-carb foods. Of course, I'm generalizing. There are plenty of exceptions.
  • tomebradley
    tomebradley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for 1g per 1lb of bodyweight. But I'm always on a high protein diet to try and gain muscle. You could drop this by 60% if you're not weight training and muscle gain isn't your goal. A high protein diet also puts a strain on the liver and kidneys ( slight strain if intake is high)

There is no particular brand that is the best. It's all down to personal preference based on taste and nutritional requirements. One thing I would watch out for when buying a shake is how much sugar it contains (carbohydrates of which sugar). Ensure you are not buying one filled with sugar to make it taste nice

Three types you can buy - whey, caesin and soy.

There is such a thing as protein bio availability. It's how much of the protien in a food that the body actually absorbs. Eggs are the highest with the body absorbing nearly all the protein from an egg. Chicken, white fish, turkey and next on the list with the body absorbing good amounts of the protein. Further down this list is soy. I wouldn't bother with soy full stop. The absorption rate of soy is low. So if a scoop has 25g of protein you may only absorb half of this.

Whey has the same bioavailabilty as eggs. It gets into the system quickly and you absorb pretty much all the protein.

Caesin has a lower bioavailabilty but has the advantage of being absorbed slowly rather than quickly. A good one to drink in the evening to keep you feeling full

Here's the bioavailabilty index

Whey protein 100-150
    Egg 100
    Cows milk 91
    Fish 83
    Beef 80
    Chicken 79
    Casein 77
    Soy 59
    Beans 49
    Peanuts 43

Hope the above helps you decide on which protein to buy.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information! I wondered if I needed to be using this. Thanks for answering the questions!

You don't NEED it. It's just some people choose to take it if they do a lot of weight training and can't get enough protein in their diet. This doesn't apply to the majority of people.

Whey can exacerbate some mental health problems, in my experience, due to the large quantities of unbound amino acids such as glutamic acid. Being highly bioavailable is not always better.

(Btw there is also hemp, rice and pea protein.)
  • tomebradley
    tomebradley Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Whey can exacerbate some mental health problems, in my experience, due to the large quantities of unbound amino acids such as glutamic acid. Being highly bioavailable is not always better.

Exacerbate mental health problems???? Please quote the study that gave you this statement!

It's not just for those on a high protein diet. It's a meal replacement. A way of adding a low fat protein meal into your day. Will certainly keep your calorie intake down if taken as an alternative to a solid meal
  • TinaLauritsen
    TinaLauritsen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I take a shake after a workout, discovered it helps with muscle soreness. Just put the power and water in my shaker, and that's it.
    But I only use whey, never get the cheap artificial crap from the supermarkets, it's no good!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Exacerbate mental health problems???? Please quote the study that gave you this statement!

It's not just for those on a high protein diet. It's a meal replacement. A way of adding a low fat protein meal into your day. Will certainly keep your calorie intake down if taken as an alternative to a solid meal

If you notice I said in my experience. Anxiety is common with whey, look it up. Also look up about bipolar mania and role of excess glutamate, which is what too much unbound glutamic acid causes. Mood stabilisers work to reduce the effects of excess glutamate.
    Why so surprised? I'm guessing you don't experience mh problems, otherwise you would know lots of things can affect them, including foods and supplements. If you are bipolar there are specific unbound/free amino acids you should avoid or minimise. Some amino acids do convert to neurotransmitters and can change their levels, so taking large quantities of free ones that are very quickly absorbed can unbalance them if you already have a problem.

Ditto for other mh conditions I'm guessing but I don't know about them in any detail.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    THANK YOU, thank you for all of the information!!
    I really appreciate each of you taking the time to answer my questions and supplying all of the information.

Thanks
    Reba
  • braunsl
    braunsl Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Nectar whey isolate protein powder as I am a bariatric patient. I use cappuccino,, kiwi strawberry , vanilla torte and carribean cooler all good flavors. Mix with water but you can mix with skim milk or any of the soy milks. the cappuccino besides water I put davinci sugar free chocolate syrup. with the others I use water and strawberry crystal light. Unjury is another brand that is great
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I use casein from optimum nutrition, blueberries & cream mixes very easily compared to the chocolate varieties.

I have found that casein was a lot more filling and didn't make me that hungry afterwards. It's a slow absorption compared to whey.

The reason to consider using it is if you're lifting or if you just want to use it as a meal replacement.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Three types you can buy - whey, caesin and soy.

Hemp and pea protein powders are available as well.