Food that you don't have to prepare

nymnlol
nymnlol Posts: 4
Hi,

A lot of times I'm in a bit of a rush to get my food ready or I am just too lazy to cook something properly. I'd like to hear some suggestions of good food that you don't have to prepare!

It can be somewhat calorie dense food as long as it's got a good amount of protein too.

Some of my favorites:

Avocado - great source of good fat, I can slice it open, sprinkle some salt on top of it and eat it instantly.
Quark and/or Greek yogurt - lots of protein, I can eat it directly from the package
Oatmeal - requires a tiny bit of preparation but not much. Add water, microwave for 2mins. Good source of carbs

Replies

• I keep pieces of cheese and chicken thighs and/or drumsticks in the fridge so that I can grab them quickly.
  • nymnlol
    I keep pieces of cheese and chicken thighs and/or drumsticks in the fridge so that I can grab them quickly.
    I also have pieces of cheese ready. Usually grab one in the morning. What would you say is the best cheese? I have edamer right now.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Leftovers - I've a freezer full of extra portions of evening meals. I'm terrible at cooking to x portions - we used to eat the extra, hence the losing weight - now I freeze it! If there's nothing in the fridge, then I grab one of those and defrost it in the microwave at work.

Otherwise, deli meat, cheese, and you can get steamable bags of veg from the local supermarket - I can pop one of those in the microwave, add a tin of oily fish, some mayo and I've got a great lunch.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Microwave meals? Sundays I prep food to freeze into portions... As I'm vegetarian I mainly cook zucchini slice, vegetarian lasagne or some kind of easy to prepare recipe.
  • nymnlol
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone keep em coming :)
  • Nuts! :smile: They're easy and good for you. Just make sure you measure the right portion, they're very high in calories.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Chocolate bar - because it tastes good.
  • I keep pieces of cheese and chicken thighs and/or drumsticks in the fridge so that I can grab them quickly.
    I also have pieces of cheese ready. Usually grab one in the morning. What would you say is the best cheese? I have edamer right now.

I get Baby Bel (different flavours) or selection bags of individual pieces. Usually a piece weighs 20g.

Another thing I do is prepare individual meals like chicken curry/sweet & sour chicken with cauliflower rice and freeze them. then I can just take one out of the freezer and put in the microwave. Less then 10 minutes and I have a low carb meal. I use 100g chicken, 100g cauliflower rice, 100g mixed veg (I use frozen) and quarter jar of Sainsbury's Basics Curry Sauce (only 27p per jar). Nutritious, cheap and quick.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    I'm a shift worker (always tired and in a hurry lol), and often won't get a break at work to eat. I keep a good supply of quick to prepare (and eat foods) in the fridge and in my locker at work. I find the following are good options:

Quest bars
    Nuts with medjool dates
    Greek/natural yoghurt pots
    Boiled eggs
    Carrot sticks with hummus
    Instant oatmeal
    Low sodium tinned soup
    Tinned tuna and crackers
    Protein shakes (for when I don't get a food break)

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Cook a big batch of rice for the week. Then mix it with black beans and salsa. Yum! Eat it on a tortilla, or just out of a bowl!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I like a make a big bowl of quinoa salad (quinoa, beans, lots of chopped veggies, vinaigrette) in the fridge for times when I don't want to cook. Protein, fiber, carbs, good fat (I use olive oil in the dressing). It's a complete light meal. I keep a bag of pre-washed spinach in the fridge and sometime add that, so I get my greens in too.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    I like a make a big bowl of quinoa salad (quinoa, beans, lots of chopped veggies, vinaigrette) in the fridge for times when I don't want to cook. Protein, fiber, carbs, good fat (I use olive oil in the dressing). It's a complete light meal. I keep a bag of pre-washed spinach in the fridge and sometime add that, so I get my greens in too.

Sounds really good. Would you share your dressing for this?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Sounds really good. Would you share your dressing for this?

Honestly, it's different every time. I start with olive oil, add some type of vinegar (apple cider or red wine usually, but sometimes I also add a little juice from hot pickled vegetables or lime juice), usually I add whole grain or horseradish mustard, a few shakes of some type of hot sauce, dried spices (usually Mrs. Dash garlic and herb or onion and herb), black pepper. Mix well and pour over the salad.