Getting myself totally confused (what's new!)

Options
I have my MFP set to sedentary but with 30 mins exercise 7 days a week.

It gives me 1630 calories for my day to eat

BUT I am currently doing 80-90 mins of cardio a day. Burning about 650 calories.

I might eat 100 calories of my exercise back if I'm feeling REALLY hungry at the end of the day but by no means would I eat more than that.

so it's leaving me with, on some days a net calorie intake of only 800-900.

Wondering if I should be adjusting my levels or eating more of my exercise calories as i seem to be hungrier now I have increased exercise. I am by no means starving but just want to make sure I stay on the right path to long, maintainable weight loss :)

Thanks

Kaz

Replies

• SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    MFP is set up so that you eat back your exercise calories in order to meet your needs. I always eat back at least half. But, don't deprive yourself or you will be unhappy (and hungry!!!).
    Good luck with your goals!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs...

You are not fueling your next workout by not eating back the exercise calories or at least some of them.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie intake is based on your daily routine without exercise. They recommend eating back all of your exercise calories. How are you getting at your exercise calories burned number? I you go by what MFP has as default, they seem to be inflated. You might try and eat back at least half of you exercise calories and see if you feel more satified and are still losing weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming to eat those back. Half if you are using MFP calorie burn estimations, more if you are using something more accurate like a HRM.

You don't need to stuff yourself to get the extra calories in. Don't eat 'diet food'. Swap the skimmed for whole, the low fat for full fat, etc. Cook in a tbsp of oil - that's 100 extra cals there. Nuts, avocado, peanut butter, cheese, etc, are all high calorie foods that you wouldn't have to eat much of. Or, there's always Nutella and a spoon.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Or, there's always Nutella and a spoon.

Or PB :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry...eat. You don't need to feel "really hungry" to have a snack.

The fact that you say you feel hungrier on your heavier exercise days means you should eat a bit more. You should really try to get closer to your net cal goal by eating back some of your exercise cals (target 50% at this point).

why deny yourself if you have the cals available. Personally, sometimes I exercise just so I can have an ice cream bar. :) Could I not eat some of those cals back sure but why should I deny myself something I enjoy and can fit into my daily goal.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie intake is based on your daily routine without exercise. They recommend eating back all of your exercise calories. How are you getting at your exercise calories burned number? I you go by what MFP has as default, they seem to be inflated. You might try and eat back at least half of you exercise calories and see if you feel more satified and are still losing weight.

I am using a Fitbit and HRM, they are working out my exercise calories not MFP as I noticed it was to high!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming to eat those back. Half if you are using MFP calorie burn estimations, more if you are using something more accurate like a HRM.

You don't need to stuff yourself to get the extra calories in. Don't eat 'diet food'. Swap the skimmed for whole, the low fat for full fat, etc. Cook in a tbsp of oil - that's 100 extra cals there. Nuts, avocado, peanut butter, cheese, etc, are all high calorie foods that you wouldn't have to eat much of. Or, there's always Nutella and a spoon.

I am using a Fitbit and HRM, they are working out my exercise calories not MFP as I noticed it was to high! Nutella. bluuuuurrrggghh lol :) I do have some nuts for a late night snack if necessary
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If your burns are calculated accurately then you should be eating back exercise calories. As others have stated MFP has calculated your goal with the deficit already factored in. You should aim to NET 1600 calories.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Nutella. bluuuuurrrggghh lol :)

:noway: :laugh:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Not sure I should answer you, for your Nutella comment =D but, yes, if you're getting an accurate reading, eat them back.