Is 1200 Calories Enough?

Options
Hey ya'll,

So I've been trying to lose weight and recently I started making big changes - I started 30 Day Shred plus about 25-30 minutes of cardio per day, 5 days a week (I'm active 7 days a week but I don't do workout videos on the weekend) and I've been eating about 1100 calories (MFP suggests 1200 but I always try to stay under that number when possible).

However, I've been poking around on forums and found a TDEE calculator that suggests I eat 1600-1700. I know I have to eat calories to burn them but that sounds like a lot after aiming for 1200. What do ya'll think?

Thanks!

Replies

• mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This question has been asked and answered ad infinitum....I suggest doing a LOT more "poking" around the forums.
  • kgml27
    kgml27 Posts: 2
    Options
    Usually I won't eat all of my workout calories back, but with how much you're burning (knowing it's a Jillian Michaels dvd, probably a lot!) you should be eating a bit more than 1100 in my opinion. I would maybe try to aim between 1200-1300 and see how that goes for a week. You can always adjust things if you find it's not working. I hope this helps :) Good luck!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    1,100 is not enough, which is why 1,200 calories as a target is not enough, because inevitably you will try and stay under that goal and that is seriously lacking.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll,

So I've been trying to lose weight and recently I started making big changes - I started 30 Day Shred plus about 25-30 minutes of cardio per day, 5 days a week (I'm active 7 days a week but I don't do workout videos on the weekend) and I've been eating about 1100 calories (MFP suggests 1200 but I always try to stay under that number when possible).

However, I've been poking around on forums and found a TDEE calculator that suggests I eat 1600-1700. I know I have to eat calories to burn them but that sounds like a lot after aiming for 1200. What do ya'll think?

Thanks!

Try it. If you're still hungry add more. If it works for you ... carry on.

Alternatively you could check out TDEE method of deciding you calories... then follow it, check your results adjust from there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Chances are if TDEE is giving you more, then no, 1200 is not enough.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Figure out your BMR and don't eat below it. Figure your TDEE -20% and don't eat above it or eat your BMR + exercise calories calculated by a HRM
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    No, thats the minimum it will give anyone. You should set yourself for 1 or 1.5 lbs per week. If your only taking in 1200 calories your probably gonna be starving and your setting yourself up for failure.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 Calories Enough?

Not for me..... I need 1500-1700 and more depending on my activity level for hte day!
  • dbritt07
    dbritt07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Figure out your BMR and don't eat below it. Figure your TDEE -20% and don't eat above it or eat your BMR + exercise calories calculated by a HRM

Hey Thanks for sharing that calculator, that is the best one I have seen yet.
  • emzypemzy93
    emzypemzy93 Posts: 185
    Options
    I've done 1200 cals and under before and honestly It felt like I was starving myself... Up a few hundred cals now and it makes all the difference..
    Just listen to your body!!
  • hjhandlos
    Options
    1200 calories isn't enough to keep you going; that is about what your body would burn if you stayed completely sedentary in bed all day. Your brain needs more glucose than 1200 calories can provide to allow you to function properly if you're doing the amount of exercise that you say you are. By constantly depriving yourself you're setting yourself up for failure.Try 1600 to 1700 and see how things go, you'll probably find you have a lot more energy for your workouts, and you won't feel as deprived. If you start gaining weight back it down to 1400-1500, and adjust as needed.
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't enough to keep you going; that is about what your body would burn if you stayed completely sedentary in bed all day. Your brain needs more glucose than 1200 calories can provide to allow you to function properly if you're doing the amount of exercise that you say you are. By constantly depriving yourself you're setting yourself up for failure.Try 1600 to 1700 and see how things go, you'll probably find you have a lot more energy for your workouts, and you won't feel as deprived. If you start gaining weight back it down to 1400-1500, and adjust as needed.

That's really good advice! Thank you! I'm only hungry at night on 1100 calories so I might bump it up to 1400-1500 and see if my body seems more satisfied!