Insomnia

Options
I've been suffering from a bad case of insomnia as of the last two weeks. This has been on and off issue for me and I've been reluctant to get on the prescription drugs band-wagon. I'm just wondering if any one has had any success with certain natural supplements? Does melatonin help at all?

I'm desperate to get a good nights sleep. I can't function like a normal human being and can barely get through a workday let alone a workout on no sleep. It's gotten so bad that I injured a calf muscle from lack of proper recovery.

Any tips, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

:-)

Replies

• brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having trouble sleeping...that really sucks!

I sometimes use Advil PM. It works better than Tylenol and I never feel groggy or still sleepy the next day. I usually take it about 30 minutes before I want to be asleep and it does great. If you weren't feeling taking something like that my mom does use the Melatonin and it works great for her. Again, we don't have insomnia, just sometimes go to these when we have some consistent bad sleeping nights. Usually TOM will keep me up :grumble:

Also, I noticed since moving into my apartment that not having a television in my room helps. I was living with a roomate so my TV was in my room and I'd stay up watching stuff alot. Now I watch TV and my room is just for sleeping. I guess it is a mental thing that my bed means sleep and not being lazy and watching TV but who knows..worked for me!

I hope your problem gets resolved soon :flowerforyou:
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I take a PM pill from time to time myself. But I get them without any painkiller in it. They are usually the active ingredient in decongestants. But I've heard that Herbalife (sp?) Sleep Now works well and is all natural - melatonin, valerian root, etc.

Also make sure there are no lights in the room. Even the dimmest lights can disrupt sleep. And don't let anyone say "just close your eyes!"

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Insomnia too, for years. I have tried every script my doctor has passed my way. None of them worked for long, so it was not worth it for me. I bought OTC meds here and there and they have always left me groggy and feeling worse than if I got no sleep at all. My fiancé mom and step mom are both nurses. His step mom works in a home for Alzheimer patients. They give them melatonin and my fiancé dad takes it as well. 2 years ago I started taking it with everyones advice, even my own doc thought it was great. I try to take a few nights off here and there so I do not build up a tolerance to it. I have to say, in the last 2 years my insomnia has been a lot easier to deal with. I can tell when I take it and when I don't. It helps me to fall asleep and relax. It is fairly cheap enough, I would give it a try. You have nothing to lose and some sleep to gain!
  • padbh
    padbh Posts: 40
    Options
    i need fresh air everyday or i cant sleep, i will not take pills
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    your description involves not getting any rem sleep. i would see a dr and get a prescription for 3 ambien to break the cycle and get some sleep so you can recover your health and feel functional. if you wish, try the melatonin after that or chamomile or valerian, and then go on with those, but the symptoms you mention are serious and i would see a dr first.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Yes, try the melatonin at night. Its a natural product and non-addictive (so I'm told). There's also a little blue light you can buy (i can find the info if ya need it) that you turn on as soon as you get up in the a.m. Its supposed to somehow stimulate your brain that its time to wake up. These two together are supposed to re-train your brain how to truly wake up and go to sleep the way you're supposed to. A nationally recognized local doctor we met with speaks highly of this method and we've started using it for some issues with kids. Seems to really be helping already! Best wishes!!
  • tSunshineLove
    Options
    I've had anxiety type insomnia on and off since puberty. The things that have worked best for me have all been drugs: xanax, antidepressants, or marijuana. I've also found that LISTENING to a movie I've seen a million times with my eyes CLOSED distracts me *just enough* for my brain to disengage.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Both Melatonin and Magnisum seem to help me sleep.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely look into Melatonin. It doesn't have any negative effects as it occurs naturally in your body. Your body produces melatonin and releases it through your pineal gland when it gets dark outside which lets your body know it's time to bunker down for the night.

Take 3mg about 20-30minutes before you go to bed and do something relaxing, like read.

My foster sister doesn't produce melatonin in normal amounts and as such has to take it or she simply won't sleep at all.

I know it works for me when I might be having trouble falling asleep.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ngolden1
    Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know this is not the question you asked, but I suffered from some severe insomnia for a couple years and I know how debilitating it can be, so I want to let you know what has worked for me. For me, when I told myself things like "who cares if I dont sleep","I've done this a million times, I can make it through tomorrow if I dont sleep", etc...it really took the pressure off. And eventually I was able to start sleeping again. Basically, it was the stress about not sleeping that was keeping me awake. You can't lay there and tell yourself "SLEEP NOW". It wont work. I still have nights where I"m up for hours once in awhile, but its not nearly as bad, and I still tell myself its okay because its not that big of a deal if I dont sleep. IF this is what you're experiencing then I hope this helps. If not, then good look with other options.
  • Ngolden1
    Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    P.S. I have taken Ambien, Lunesta and Rozerem...none have worked well and the side effects were more trouble than they were worth.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    you've certainly received lots of good replies.....maybe the best being to consult with your physician. That being said, if you're trying to avoid prescription meds, the majority of the over-the-counter PM type meds basically have benedryl as the active ingredient. So, fairly mild, but if you don't like how benedryl effects you, you may want to keep that in mind. I've also heard good things about melatonin.

I'd like to talk about one thing I haven't heard mentioned that is not a pill to take at all: deep relaxation CD's. Just go to Amazon.com and type it in the search, there are tons of options. I have a portable player and head phones and I listen to one almost every night. I love my weight loss self-hypnosis CD and I almost always fall deeply asleep 1/2 way thru it. I figure my sub-conscious mind is still getting the messages. If I'm having anxiety or stress or just want a gentle mindful meditation, I have a CD for each need. Now, after all these years, if I'm traveling and forgot my portable player at home I can settle in with the deep breathing intro in my head and usually breath myself into sleep.

Good luck and sweet dreams!
    JoJo