Not Fit Enough For C25K?

Options
I know a lot of people have mentioned the Couch-2-5K app, so I recently downloaded it. I just finished with the week 2 workouts. However, I'm slightly nervous for week 3. I know this is meant to slowly work you up to running a 5K, but the time spending running in week 3 seems a bit daunting. Is it possible to not be "fit" enough to use this app?

Basically, I'm worried I won't be able to run for that long of a duration. I've only just started running, so I'm not super experienced. Obviously, I'm going to give it my best shot, but if I can't keep up should I be staying with week 2 until I feel that I can move forward? Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    why not follow the app for the first three weeks then decide whether to go on or not - you may surprise yourself.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    As someone who is doing a program very similar to C25K, each week I've wondered if I could do it. First I was nervous when it went to 2 minutes run with a 90 sec walk in between. Most recently it's alternated 5 min run/jog with a 2 min. walk then 3 min jog 90 sec walk and then circuiting back again (the whole shebang twice in other words with the usual 5 min brisk walking warmup/cooldown).

So far each week I've managed it.

Don't give up...you are likelier more able to do this than you might think. Just tackle it one interval at a time. :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No such thing as not fit enough. There is a reason it is called COUCH to 5k.

I did the program in 2010 and still run three to four times a week.

It does seem intimidating when looking ahead in the weeks but trust the program. Go out slowly...don't push your pace throughout the program.

If you struggle with a day, it is okay to repeat days or even weeks.

i literally couldn't jog a block when I started it. But I did it and it does work! Trust the program!
  • therealkat
    therealkat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I surprised myself with this App, believing I wasn't fit enough. I got all the way to week 6 with a bit of determination before getting a really terrible flu. You can do this! I repeated week 3 until it felt easy enough to move on (twice), and so on. Listen to your body and you will be fine.
  • dworth1226
    Options
    I feel the same way you do but I am determinednto try each week..if I am not successful I usually repeat the day.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The first time I did C25K I was over 300 lbs. Just do it. If you need to repeat week #2, then repeat a week, but continue running. I found, that each time I questioned if I could do it....once I started, I would not let myself quit. I was amazed when I ran my first mile consecutively. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I may be slow.....but as my shirt says..... "in my mind, I'm a Kenyan". :)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Week 3 to Week 4 seems to be the most intimidating step for a lot of people. I, myself, am repeating Week 3 over and over until I "get it right" and I'm not going to worry about what other people think. No one's timing me and I'm not doing it for anyone else, so... don't feel nervous. Just do the step you're comfortable with until YOU feel ready to move on to the next.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Adjust as you need to. Even if you are just shuffling, keep moving forward. Do you think you will become fit enough just by sitting at home? Course not. Just do it. Stop thinking about it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I was the same way :) When I started in week 1, I could just barely make it through the 60 seconds of running. Every week I felt the same way, but the times were getting longer! If you need to, you can slow down (a LOT) or even walk if you really feel like you have to. If you can't complete the full running segments, repeat the week until you can :) good luck!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Forget that stupid app! I tried it and it bored me to death. I had a friend on here suggest to me, just to try running slower. Keep a pace at which you do not lose you breath. The first time I did it... it was SLOW, very very slow... but I was able to run a full 5k on a flat trail. If I was able to do it, I am certain that you can do it!
  • Bdemps11
    Bdemps11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In my first go at the program last year, the transition from week 2 to 3 was difficult for me also, but I think it much more mental than physical. I've actually started the program again and am in the same spot. My W2D3 run is tonight, then I'm going to repeat tomorrow before moving on the Week 3 on Monday. The best advice I got was to walk as fast as possible and jog/run as slow as possible. I find it keeps my heart rate up and the running segments don't tire me out as much!
  • jadimasi79
    jadimasi79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As suggested earlier when I didi C25k I found that if I couldn't complete a workout I did the best I could and just kept repeating that week until I could advance to the next set of workouts. I found it took me a little longer than the time period they defined but it worked for me and then by last year I was able to run an entire half marthon. I am just a tortoise, slow and steady.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot, but if you just cannot do it, stay on week two for another week then try to move up.

You can do it! Good luck.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that everyone should be fit for couch to 5k. In some circumstances, yes, someone can not be fit enough for the program. I have a running book that has a walking plan to build up to the couch to 5k.
    That said, I don't believe this is the case here.

I have coached several Learn to Run programs and I hear what you are saying every week. Every week the group is terrified to move up to the next, saying they can't. Every week, they do.

Couch to 5k is great because you can do it at your own pace and repeat weeks if needed. My recommendation is to always try the next week before deciding you can't do it. If you really feel you need to repeat, then do it, but at least give it a shot before deciding. Running is hugely mental. If you think you can or can't, you are right. And you also need to remember with running you will have good runs and bad runs. Don't give up after one bad run.

ETA - oh and slow down! A lot of people make the mistake of going too fast. Go as slow as you need to to finish the time alloted.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know this is meant to slowly work you up to running a 5K, but the time spending running in week 3 seems a bit daunting. Is it possible to not be "fit" enough to use this app?

As you've finished week 2, you're ready for week 3. A lot of running progressis about the psychological, actually having the commitment to keep going for the whole of the period. We all get that niggle that the next run is too much sometimes, but we've all got ways to keep ourselves moving. For me it's about identifying a marker to get to, then another, then another
    Basically, I'm worried I won't be able to run for that long of a duration. I've only just started running, so I'm not super experienced. Obviously, I'm going to give it my best shot, but if I can't keep up should I be staying with week 2 until I feel that I can move forward?

You won't know until you try, and push yourself to achieve it. If you can go out and honestly give it your best shot then you'll know what you can achieve. I would suggest that you go out there and push yourself to deliver week 3. You may need to ease your pace a little, but you're perfectly capable of it.

I took 12 weeks to finish the programme, rather than 9. I had some problems with diary on week, meaning I couldn't train, so I stepped back a week after that and repeated one I'd already completed, just to consolidate after a week of no activity. I also repeated the week of the 20 minute run as the first time I tried that I had to walk for about 15 seconds at the 12 minute point, to take a gulp of water. While I don't see any issue with repeating weeks, I'm more inclined to say repeat sessions that you don't achieve, rather than ones you're scared that you won't achieve. If you opt for the latter then you end up discouraging your ability to make progress, it risks becoming self reinforcing.