Running Shoes Help

Options
CookNLift
CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
I have never really been a runner but this weekend I am doing a 5k and want to start running more but wanted to see what input you all might have in regards to a somewhat affordable running shoe for beginners, and perhaps one that could assist with preventing / alleviating shin splints (I already stretch before, but I still get them from time to time)

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a running shop and have them analyze your foot and gait.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Go to a running specialty store and get fitted. They will be able to recommend the right shoe for *you*. What works for me and fixes my shin splints might not work for you and your issues.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are very, very individual. We can all list our favourite shoe and what worked for us, but that doesn't mean it will for you. What works for me or my shin splints may cause problems for you. Using a corrective shoe when you don't need it is setting yourself up for injuries.

If you are looking to buy a shoe, I strongly suggest going to a specialized running store and getting fitted. The one place I do suggest investing money is in good shoes. You can save money by trying to find last year's model of the same shoe.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Going to a store is your best bet, but alternatively, you can use the Shoe Advisor Tool on Runners World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

They will give suggestions based on the information that you provide - at that point, you can price shop on amazon, ebay, etc....
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Another quick piece of advice....if you buy new shoes today, DO NOT wear them for your race tomorrow. You should break them in beforehand.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was recently in the same position as you, I went to a local running store and got a free gait analysis.

While I was there I was able to check out styles that suited me, when I got some I ordered them from sportshoes.com - really affordable.

Hope that helps
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Another quick piece of advice....if you buy new shoes today, DO NOT wear them for your race tomorrow. You should break them in beforehand.

Personally, of the multitude of new running shoes I have bought, I have not had to break any of them in since the 1980s.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a running shop and have them analyze your foot and gait.

/\ /\ /\
    THIS!

Don't go "off the rack" until you have a good understanding of what each type of shoe does. There are different types of shoes for different types of runners. ie. high miles, pronation, cushioning, bare foot, etc. Let the sales folks at the store do the analysis and go from there. Nothing worse than a hard 1/2 marathon with the wrong shoe. Been there, done that.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Going to a store is your best bet, but alternatively, you can use the Shoe Advisor Tool on Runners World:

They will give suggestions based on the information that you provide - at that point, you can price shop on amazon, ebay, etc....

This exactly! I used Runner's World for my shoes because I live out in the middle of no where. The shoes it advised me to get I got off amazon and I LOVE them! Perfect for what I needed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Personally, of the multitude of new running shoes I have bought, I have not had to break any of them in since the 1980s.

Me neither. My only concern is that sometimes there are small changes made in the models of the same shoe. I want to wear them to make sure there are no surprises, not really to break them in.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If everyone write go to running store and get gait analyzed or if it is the majority of the advice...do so. That is the best advice you will get. Causes of shin splints vary but getting the right shoe is critical. There are other causes of shin splints...see this article...
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints... Pay particular attention to step 7. Use to get them regular, did step one get the right shoes eliminated 90% did step 2 and eliminated the other 10%. Rock on!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    If you can't get to a proper running store and you have access to a treadmill and possibly a buddy to help:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/pronvid.html
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I must beg to differ. I typically buy new shoes a few days before a half marathon. I test them a bit to make sure nothing is itchy or pokey and then I am good. If your shoes are correctly fitted there should NEVER be a "breaking-in" period. I agree with everyone here. Get properly fitted. Only wear them to run. The more you run the more your feet and legs will come to understand what works and what does not.

When I finally did see a podorthist and got the right shoes and insoles my mileage went up exponentially and my discomfort went away. I started to enjoy running. I went from a miserable 3 miles to a easy 9 miles in a matter of weeks.

The link below is not a comprehensive study in podiatry but it gives you an idea what to be thinking about. Get to know your arches, supination/pronation, heel strike, neutral/stability needs. I know much of it sounds like bro-science marketspeak but I don't care. I can feel a distinct difference.

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Me neither. My only concern is that sometimes there are small changes made in the models of the same shoe. I want to wear them to make sure there are no surprises, not really to break them in.
    I think that's more of what I mean. I like to use them a time or two before an actual race.