P90X Virgin...

Options
I will be running my first half marathon on January 30th ... and I have a feeling after that I will burned out for a bit on the distance running.

After reading MANY posts here I am seriously considering P90X... although I am quite overweight still and think it might be too much for me.

Can I combine P90x and running ... or do I have to put running on hold completely while I do it?
Can I do it??

**Ooh and can you tell a beginner what I need to start. The pull up bar probably wont be a possibilty!**

Replies

• debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I plan to start P90X Monday (the 27th)

And you can probably combine P90X and running, if you can keep up with it (not saying you can't, but P90X is very intense).

But to start (they have this in a book with the program), you will need an exercise mat (or soft surface), some dumb bells (I have 2x3, 2x5, 2x8 pounders), a pull up bar (or there's a resistance band type set that hooks around your door that can simulate multiple exercises including pull-ups), and yoga blocks (to help with the positions to get in for yoga). And I think that's all that you NEED, but you may want a heart rate monitor, scale, and measuring tape to help track results and other stats.

Will add to my post if I find something else you may need.
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You absolutely CAN do it!! That is awesome and congrats on going for it!! You only really need resistance bands and a mat. I think you should have the bands to simulate pull ups....that's what I did, an weights...easier to use than the bands. I used 5lbs and 10 lbs, they were great to start but wanted more weight by the end, you will need a mat for yoga and the dreaded Dreya rolls...you'll see..lol. That is all I used and I didn't feel like I needed anything else. I wanted more...lol. i wanted a HRM and yoga blocks but neither of those are mandatory. Good luck with your journey, just keep pushing play and you will be so glad you did!!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    P90X is definately tough. You could use running in place of the cardio workouts.
    I think P90X is something most people could try and with modification you can progress and use this program for a long time. There is a way to kind of put the workouts in half if even using light weights is too difficult at first.

I would also suggest Chalean Extreme. It's a step down from P90X, and still an awesome workout, they are more full body (with a little more focus on one part) than focused on one part in particular. It is a great way to get ready for P90X and all you need is resistance (dumbbells or bands)

I've done a couple rounds of P90X (and just started another) and have done Chalean Extreme. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Oh... Congrats on your first half marathon... that's amazing! =D
  • Nannettemilligan
    Options
    P90X is great .I have the DVD'S and i love them ..Start slow and keep up your running ..You can do it ...Good for you ...
  • carreycat
    Options
    I have the P90x dvds and they're amazing! I would say definitely don't push yourself too hard at first. I did and I was really really sore for at least a week. Once you get going on it though you're golden. Can't wait to get started on it again. (I only was able to use it for a couple weeks then had to have surgery and gained a lot of weight from being sedentary for so long - unrelated to the workouts of course)
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I will be running my first half marathon on January 30th ... and I have a feeling after that I will burned out for a bit on the distance running.

After reading MANY posts here I am seriously considering P90X... although I am quite overweight still and think it might be too much for me.

Can I combine P90x and running ... or do I have to put running on hold completely while I do it?
    Can I do it??

**Ooh and can you tell a beginner what I need to start. The pull up bar probably wont be a possibilty!**

It can defiantly be done! I run on the days I can! But I do make sure to eat enough to get me through the day and of course the workouts, with p90x you burn allot and then running is a great calorie burner, so eat enough calories!!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Can I do it??

Hey Emmaleigh,

Yes you can combine P90X with running, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first round. Best thing to do, would be to start the program as designed, when you get to the second month, if you feel you can handle the additional running go ahead and slowly add it in. I have had people I coach in the past ask me the same question and this is what I recommended to them. Part of the enjoyment of P90X is the variety, so if you never allow yourself to experience all of the programs then it is not worth it. I never would have liked Yoga had it not been for Yoga X.

Now as far what you need. You will need dumbbells, heart rate monitor, yoga mat and a place to do pull-ups. If a pull-up bar is not an option, you can do resistance bands and do pull downs from your door. Beachbody has a set which includes the mount for the door. If you have any questions let me know.

Hope this helps,
    Stu