Lunches Boxes.

Options
For any students/workers whose canteen don't really sell healthy food, how do you try to eat healthy? Do you pack your own lunch? If you do, do you have any easy recipe that won''t turn soggy in the container? I don't have access to a microwave or an oven at school. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Usually I pack a tuna sandwich, tuna salad, chicken wrap or chicken salad as my entree. Then some kind of fruit, a string cheese stick, and a granola bar or a pack of fruit gummies. This usually totals about 400-500 calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Google "bento boxes" for some cute ideas!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually take some raw fruit or veggies and leftovers from supper the night before, but I have access to a microwave. If I have no leftovers, I'll pack the little lunch sized tuna (dill infused is my favorite), or a boiled egg, and some salad. I've never been a big bread eater, so I don't pack sandwiches often.
  • azlifah95
    azlifah95 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    @lemonsnowdrop Sounds good! I will try and see how that goes!

@melainecheeks Will do! I don't really like cooking because of the clean up afterwards but since eating healthy, I'm liking it a bit more. haha.

@cbhubbybubble Yeah, I can see why raw things would be best. Little effort required. :)
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I buy low sodium deli meat and make half a sandwich using 1 slice of multigrain, some almonds, a stick of string cheese, a banana and a seltzer water. I love packing my own lunch!
  • azlifah95
    azlifah95 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    @Amanda_Gx6 I get very limited choices to choose from because my area's only grocery store suck. HAHA. But I'll definitely improvise.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I pretty much bring the same thing to work everyday.

Sting cheese
    Sugar free jelly (jello)
    Clementine
    Homemade vegetable soup (kept hot in a Thermos food flask)
    Tub of raspberries, grapes, pineapple, blueberries, kiwi & strawberries
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I work in an office with a super unhealthy deli in the ground floor, so I pack my lunch every day.

Do you have access to boiling water? Either bringing a reusable cup to the canteen and asking for hot water, or else bringing an electric kettle could be a game changer. I love pre-packaged foods that are easy to bring to work and just require hot water (miso soup, mac and cheese, special k oatmeal).

Veggies and hummus are always great because hummus is fine at room temp for a decent amount of time. I like cucumbers and carrots best.

A big salad won't get soggy as long as the dressing is on the side. I like baby spinach, feta, and walnuts with raspberry vinaigrette.
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Change up the main but usually keep my snacks and side dishes the same:

cheese string
    hard boiled egg
    almonds
    apple/pear/grapefruit
    cucumber/celery

the main is either some leftovers (when I cook dinner I always make one or two dishes extra for lunches) or some soup. I also have microwave access so that helps.. but I try to eat the same "extras" every day and just change up the main..