In need of some motivation

Options
I want to apologize for not posting for the past couple of weeks, well actually this whole month. My grandfather had a heart attack on July 3rd and passed away on July 28th.:brokenheart: This was a shock to my family since my grandfather was a very physical man and was not over weight. The death of my grandfather has been a very difficult time for me. Not that I have resorted to food for comfort, however I have definitely not been eating as good as I should and there has been no exercise either. I just need some motivation so I can get back on track, I don't want to have to deal with heart disease as many of my other family members have, and some losing the battle. What makes you get back on track? Or, what do you do to get over the "hump"? If you could offer some motivation I would greatly appreciate it!:flowerforyou:

-Lauren

Replies

• Lskid85
    Lskid85 Posts: 16
    Options
    I want to apologize for not posting for the past couple of weeks, well actually this whole month. My grandfather had a heart attack on July 3rd and passed away on July 28th.:brokenheart: This was a shock to my family since my grandfather was a very physical man and was not over weight. The death of my grandfather has been a very difficult time for me. Not that I have resorted to food for comfort, however I have definitely not been eating as good as I should and there has been no exercise either. I just need some motivation so I can get back on track, I don't want to have to deal with heart disease as many of my other family members have, and some losing the battle. What makes you get back on track? Or, what do you do to get over the "hump"? If you could offer some motivation I would greatly appreciate it!:flowerforyou:

-Lauren
  • 1020bridget
    Options
    Sorry to hear fro your loss

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe in the resurrection where our dead loved ones will be brought back to life after armaggeddon...if you would like to know more information, let me know...

also, remember that your grandpa loved you and wouldn't want you to be overly grief stricken...I had a grandpa die when I was 15...he was literally my best friend...My beliefs and knowing he loved me got me thru it...
  • Petria
    Petria Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that it must be so difficult, but you can also think about what your Grandpa would want for you - a vibrant, long life, and he would probably enourage you to be active and do yoru best to achieve that!

As far as regular motivation, just reading these boards helps...

Today for example I was looking at my food journal trying to figure out what I could have for lunch (I REALLY want a Quiznos sandwhich) and ended up seeing that it was way more calories than I predicted. Which led to...'can i ever eat out again?' and 'will i ever be able to go out with my friends again?' etc etc etc and down that slippery path. I jumped on the boards and started reading how happy everyone was from being healthy, and thought of how I'd look and feel 10-15 pounds down the road...that new pair of pants, etc. That definately motivated me!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I Lost my grandpa when I was 12 of his 8th massive heart attack that was really hard on me so naturally when my dad had his first heart attack a few months ago it scared me!!! I know it runs in the family through guys but still that is all the motivation I need to show me that I dont want to be like that. My dad is very skinny and healthy looking but he drinks and smokes and eat all of the awesome southern food naturally...

Just know that your grandpa loved you and only wants the best for you
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Will keep you in my prayers. Just try to get through 1 day at a time if that's too much one hour at a
    time. Stay strong.

I lost both my parents before I was 25 from heart attacks in their sleep. They were both over 220 pounds, and my mom was only 5-5. It is a shock to your system but you will make it through and come out stonger on the other end.:heart::heart:
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i have been very blessed.... i just lost my grand fathers .. one 2 years ago.. and my other in may... i had a full life... the one even made sure i knew christ... i love him for that.. but he wouldnt want me to live with the health issues he had... matter a fact they both had veryyyyy bad hearts.... sooo if it helps.. keep going.. they would want you tooo.... God Bless you!!... :flowerforyou:
  • monica5237
    monica5237 Posts: 450
    Options
    I am deeply sorry for your loss, I lost mine when I was 28 and that was the hardest thing I ever had to go through. I still have trouble going to his grave to visit, Him and my grandma raised me and my sister so he was more like a father. I miss him very much.

If I know grandpas yours would want you to be happy for him to be out of this misreable world and he is in his happy world with Christ. I know what you are thinking (I want him here) I know I still feel the same way. ( I guess I am just selfish on that one), BUt you have to keep going life does not stop. Your life could be abreviated if you don't get and stay healthy so that is what he would want youto do. So dedicate your next workout to him and do it for him. When you take your walk, Talk to him. (I do that). Tell him how you feel about his death. Let it all out. I have found that is major therapy and it works you will have as many tears as you do sweat.

Good Luck and you can do it!!!
    We believe in you.
    Monica
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hi L Skid,

I recently lost my grampa too, we were very close. Like you, it was very unexpected. :cry: It was hard for me to do ANYTHING, especially go out. I did, however eat way too much :( What helped me get back on track and eating right again was the people around me. May I suggest getting someone close to you to go on walks? Just walk and talk, about anything. Your Granpa, memories, or something completely different. It will always hurt but the pain will ease. Plus the more you talk the farther you'll walk! Something about walking around sunset makes me feel better :smile:
  • Lskid85
    Options
    I didn't know if you happened to get my e-mail or not, so I thought I should try to reply this way. I too am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and am looking forward to the resurrection hope. I am a regular pioneer, hence the 70 hours of volunteering a month (on my profile). My husband is a ministerial servant and we both attend one of the many congregations here in Wichita, KS. Just in case you were wondering.

I hope that you will find encouragement here on this website, It really works! I used to go to the gym all the time, my nickname was "the gym Nazi" because I really liked to work out hard, so if you need any pointers just let me know.

-Lauren
  • Lskid85
    Options
    I also wanted to thank all of you that replied, it means so much to know that you care and are here for me in my time of distress. All of your pointers gave me much comfort.

Thank you,
    Lauren
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    :yawn: I am in desperate need of some motivation since i got off my healthy eating plan i feel sluggish and lazy. I don't know why i cannot stop the late night eating. I feel like such a failure right now and that is not helping. I think my obssessing on my weight is causing me to eat more!! HELP please. I sit and think about how good i felt when i was exercising regularly and eating right but thats it thinking about it and i get so digusted i end up eating. I hope by having support here and planning menus again i will get back on track thanks for listening
  • Nana27
    Nana27 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi metco! I understand about the late night eating, that is one of my downfalls too. But I found out that I can do without that bowl of ice cream or that cookie, lol, guess you can tell with me it was sweets! And sometimes I still miss the sweets :laugh: I now buy low cal stuff that will satisfy the sweet monster in me! Quaker Mini Delights, Special K Orange and Raspberry Bliss Bars (yummy, and taste as sweet as a candy bar) just to name a couple. Bad days and good days all add up and pretty soon you will realize that the good days outweight (:laugh: :laugh: ) the bad days.

Keep working it, you know that you will feel better.

Linda