How much is too much sugar in greek yogurt?

Options
Happyoceangirl
Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
I read somewhere what the ceiling should be for sugar in yogurt, but I can't for the life of me find it.

I discovered Liberte Mediterranee greek yogurt and the stuff tastes AMAZING and has such a rich creamy texture. I fell in love with both the lemon and apple crumble flavors. . But of course, since it tastes THAT good, I suspect it's not quite as healthy as I want to believe.

One serving has 270 calories, 23 g sugar, 28 g carbs and 6 g protein (lemon flavor). How does this compare to what you eat? Do I need to stop this love affair in it's tracks?

Thanks for all feedback. :)

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani and it has around 140-160 calories, 19 or so grams of sugar, and 20 or so carbs and 14g of protein. So, I think you probably could do better with a different brand. That does sounds tasty, but 270 calories is quite high, as is the 28g of carbs for only 6g of protein. Fage is a good brand too.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    6 grams of protein sounds low for a greek yogurt. Like trayn, I gravitate towards the greek yogurts that have closer to a 1:1 carb:protein ratio.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    6 grams of protein sounds low for a greek yogurt. Like trayn, I gravitate towards the greek yogurts that have closer to a 1:1 carb:protein ratio.

agreed. greek yogurt is normally protein packed
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    23 g is a ton of sugar-- there is just as much in a serving of Starburst!! And I agree, there should be around 17-20 grams of protein per serving of greek yogurt. Ideally, the plain non fat with fruit added is your best best (the plain has only 6g of sugar, which is natural from milk--not added sugars). I suppose if you have to have the flavored, I would try to stick with a brand below 15g of sugar.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian but go grocery shopping sometimes in the States...I know Greek yogurt is high in protein..but some are just crazy with sugar. I just found a brand this weekend...Kroger brand actually and it is sweetened with Stevia (not 100% there is some sugar with the flavouring). It is 0g of fat, 14g of protein and 14g of sugar. This is the best one I found so far...those with 20+g of sugar...OMG! To me, that high sugar is not worth it...I think your better off getting plain and mixing in 1/2 banana. I barely feel good about eating this one with 14g but I am ok with it for the protein.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Damn!!! I knew it was too good to be true! I have 2 left, so I guess I'll eat them and not replace with more of the same. Glad I looked into it now. And so sad because, wow, it honestly tastes SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD! LOL!

Thank you guys for the feedback and guidance.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    23 g is a ton of sugar-- there is just as much in a serving of Starburst!! And I agree, there should be around 17-20 grams of protein per serving of greek yogurt. Ideally, the plain non fat with fruit added is your best best (the plain has only 6g of sugar, which is natural from milk--not added sugars). I suppose if you have to have the flavored, I would try to stick with a brand below 15g of sugar.

i buy plain chobani and mix it with sugar free preserves. (not delicious, but not horrible) of course that adds splenda which is 0 cals, 0 sugar, but causes cancer and among other things. i tell myself that since i only have a tablespoon of the preserves and 1 stick of artificial sugared gum, that i'm not that doomed. i also feel like everything causes cancer. and normal sugar will give me diabetes and heart disease. so i can't win.

but if you really do love it, then i'd still treat yourself to it once in a while. don't make yourself suffer too much!

and of the fruit flavored chobani, i think strawberry banana had the lowest amount of sugar at 17g. lemon was possibly 18g.
  • teamclemons
    teamclemons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too, have fallen in LOOOOOVE with Liberte yogurt. I knew going in that is had way too many carbs and sugar for my new life style but it is so delish that I treat it as a dessert. Instead of cake or ice cream I have one of the yogurts and I savor every bite. It's good stuff :-)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar, unless you have a medical reason to limit it.

If you like the yogurt and it fits into your calorie and macro goals, eat it to your hearts content.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've switched to plain Greek yogurt and add fruit... still has a decent amount of sugar, but I'm ok with it since it's mostly from the fruit. It was a little hard to adjust at first (I've never had the brand you mentioned, but I was eating a non-plain type that had a good amount of sugar in it), but now I really enjoy it.
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like Fage Total 0 Greek yogurt:love:
    Typical Values Typical values per 100g -
    Energy 243kJ (57 kcal) -
    Protein 10.3 g -
    Carbohydrate 4 g -
    of which sugars 4 g -
    Fat 0 g -
    of which saturates 0 g -
    Fibre 0 g -
    Sodium 0.038 g -

it comes in 500gr size or 160 gr or similar which I use for 2 servings.

It is super thick so when I want to mix it up fruits or something I blend it with a bit of water and flax seeds, and it is super smooth and creamy yummy
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I always get plain nonfat, then add stevia and whatever else I want.
    Ultimately, its fine if it fits in your macros.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani and it has around 140-160 calories, 19 or so grams of sugar, and 20 or so carbs and 14g of protein. So, I think you probably could do better with a different brand. That does sounds tasty, but 270 calories is quite high, as is the 28g of carbs for only 6g of protein. Fage is a good brand too.

This. LOVE LOVE LOVE Chobani. I also like that it's local (upstate NY, near the MA border)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Damn!!! I knew it was too good to be true! I have 2 left, so I guess I'll eat them and not replace with more of the same. Glad I looked into it now. And so sad because, wow, it honestly tastes SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD! LOL!

Thank you guys for the feedback and guidance.

Liberte Mediterranee is NOT Greek yogourt, just high milk fat yogourt for richer flavour. They DO also have greek yogourt and it is higher in protein and lower in carbs (even the flavoured is less than 1/2 that of the Mediterranee).
    Liberte Mediterranee has lots of sugars/fruit and 9% MF so yes - it's DESSERT... But you don't have to eat it straight, that goes for their Greek flavoured yogourts too. I just use a spoon of the fancy stuff in their plain Greek yogourt 0/2% and it's enough sweetness & flavour for me without screwing up my macros. At least it is real yogourt with just milk and fruit & sugars in it, they aren't charging you yogourt prices for cheap starch and gum fillers like they do with most of the low cal yogourts.

edited to add more info about Liberte Med. yogourt
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have read that with any yogurt, you should buy plain and then mix in the fruit or jam right before you eat it. Basically the sugar creates an environment that harms the bacterial cultures, particularly in Greek yogurt.

As far as brands go, I enjoy Fage! Stonyfield has a reputation for putting too much sugar in their yogurt and ice creams.