Easy Chocolate Rugulah – 2 WW points /w PHOTO

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
I got a free box of Pillsbury pie crust ($5 value, woo free stuff!) which of course is packaged (more preservatives) and not low cal so I wasn’t sure what to do with it (expires in January) until I realized how easy Rugulah was to make.

I’m not Jewish so I don’t claim that “Rugulah” is the correct spelling over “Rugelach”. I went with the first spelling just b/c it’s spelled out better phonetically. In addition, Pillsbury is far from authentic Jewish cuisine but again, this is an easy version and perfect for the holidays.

I made these to bring to my in-law’s Christmas Eve and my parents Christmas Day along with my sweet potato loonies (slices baked in some olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper) so I am brining a treat along with a super healthy side dish.

1 box Pillsbury Ready Made Pie Crust (contains two pie crusts)
1/8 cup egg beaters
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light margarine
½ bag Great Value semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp powdered sugar

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover cookie sheet with parchment paper. Open and lay out both pie crusts then brush with margarine. Mix sugar with baking cocoa and sprinkle on both crusts then sprinkle with cinnamon. Cut each crust into 16 and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Roll from fat side (the outside) to center and put each rugulah on the cookie sheet. Brush each rugulah with egg beaters (or 2 yolks mixed with a little water – additional calories/cholesterol) then bake for 20 - 25 minutes. When cooled completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 32.

WW Points: 2 (89cals, 12g carbs, 0g fibre, 5g fat & 1g protein)

* I added this recipe to the MFP recipe section entitled “Chocolate Rugulah - 2 WW Points”

Here's what mine looked like;

Picture310.jpg

Enjoy and a very merry Christmas to everyone!

Replies

• Jbwilson0708
    Options
    that looks yummy :) thanks for the idea
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Whatever they are called....they look delish! I got some pie crusts in the freezer. Got everyting but the chocolate chips! Darn. Maybe a good thing. They way I feel I pry would eat them all! Will try it soon. Perhaps when MIL comes over for dinner.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    yummmmm!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump for later- thanks for sharing!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Bump....They look yummy and pretty!!!
  • amyangel777
    Options
    Those look delish! Cant wait to try them!
  • cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How did you cut the dough? into 16 pieces, but what shape? a triangle, like a crescent roll?
    They look yummy!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    How did you cut the dough? into 16 pieces, but what shape? a triangle, like a crescent roll?
    They look yummy!

You slice it like a pizza. To do 16 slices you start with 4, then 8, then 16. My in-laws and family ALL love them and trust me, they would be honest if they didn't like one of my creations.