1200 Calories A Day and I'm Hungry All the Time

Options
124»

Replies

• wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    MFP put me on 1200 cals a day and that didn't work for me, I think it was psychological. Because if I stayed at 1200 and ate back my exercise calories I would be fine. I decided not to do that, and set my calories to 1500 and don't eat back exercise calories. Might be wierd but it works for me
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're eating the wrong food and thinking too hard about being hungry. Chillax... drink some water and quit obsessing over food. Eat some veggies with hummus when you are hungry. Grab an apple or a boiled egg when need a snack. 1200 calories can be a lot of food when eaten correctly.... now Taco John's, one of my faves, is about 1200 calories for a #4. Yes, you will feel hungry if you blow the day on one meal. So do that sometimes but 85% of the time... fill it up with healthy food.
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    You are hungry all the time because your body says 'FEED ME FOOL!"
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Low calorie foods.
    I am eating at 1200 calories per day, and I can stuff myself. Just not with the wrong foods!
    What I usually eat is:
    -LOTS of fruits, strawberries for example. Super low in calories and super filling.
    -VEGGIES, especially for the quick hunger: CANNED VEGGIES (you must know I looooove canned veggies), like mushrooms have 16 calories per 100 grams, and corn has like 60. And there's so much variety!
    -Cottage cheese (salads)! If you make yourself a huge portion of salad with 100g cottage cheese the whole salad will only be around 200-250 calories. SO FILLING.
    I even have chocolate and treats while being on a 1200 calorie diet.
    And if you're still hungry - eat more!
    Especially in the beginning striving for a 1200 calorie diet is super hard. Start off with maybe 1800, then after a week go to 1700 and so on, and if you're happy with your weight loss, stop at whatever amount of calories you and your body feel comfortable with. Best luck to you!
    so hey, when you signed up... you picked the wrong goal. 2lbs per week isn't good. Go back, update it to 1lb. Eat more than 1200.

Problem solved.

First of all, problem solved? What problem is solved? I don't have a problem at all.
    My weekly loss isn't even set to 2lbs per week, if I may mention that. And I just checked, if I go for 1 lbs per week, that would uppen my calorie intake to 1500 calories per day.
    To be honest, that doesn't sound like such a huge change. I don't think my body will feel much different by eating 300 calories more a day. And since I do not lose 1.5 lbs per week now ANYWAYS, I'd rather stick with my 1200 calories.
    But thanks for your concern.
    you're an active 18 year old.
    sticking to 1200 calories isn't going to do you any favors. I'm sorry you're mad at me for trying to help you understand that your approach isn't going to last.
    It isn't enough for you.
    It won't last.

...but hey, stick with it and let us all know later down the line how it's goin. :flowerforyou:
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Your response is right on target about the comments. How non-supportive can someone be? This is why I don't post anymore because I was getting some negative feedback and it didn't feel like a "community support"
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am sure this person appreciates you encouragement and support.
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also, moving more will increase the calories you can assume. Your body adjusts naturally so don't get too caught up on it. As long as mathematically you are under each week, you will be good.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't see what could possibly go wrong, since I feel full, healthy and fitter than ever before..
    Though I do appreciate that you care about what other MFP's are doing and you sure just want the best for them, maybe what's best for you isn't best for everyone.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Low calorie foods.
    I am eating at 1200 calories per day, and I can stuff myself. Just not with the wrong foods!
    What I usually eat is:
    -LOTS of fruits, strawberries for example. Super low in calories and super filling.
    -VEGGIES, especially for the quick hunger: CANNED VEGGIES (you must know I looooove canned veggies), like mushrooms have 16 calories per 100 grams, and corn has like 60. And there's so much variety!
    -Cottage cheese (salads)! If you make yourself a huge portion of salad with 100g cottage cheese the whole salad will only be around 200-250 calories. SO FILLING.
    I even have chocolate and treats while being on a 1200 calorie diet.
    And if you're still hungry - eat more!
    Especially in the beginning striving for a 1200 calorie diet is super hard. Start off with maybe 1800, then after a week go to 1700 and so on, and if you're happy with your weight loss, stop at whatever amount of calories you and your body feel comfortable with. Best luck to you!
    so hey, when you signed up... you picked the wrong goal. 2lbs per week isn't good. Go back, update it to 1lb. Eat more than 1200.

Problem solved.

First of all, problem solved? What problem is solved? I don't have a problem at all.
    My weekly loss isn't even set to 2lbs per week, if I may mention that. And I just checked, if I go for 1 lbs per week, that would uppen my calorie intake to 1500 calories per day.
    To be honest, that doesn't sound like such a huge change. I don't think my body will feel much different by eating 300 calories more a day. And since I do not lose 1.5 lbs per week now ANYWAYS, I'd rather stick with my 1200 calories.
    But thanks for your concern.

300 calories can make a huge difference. I get weak and ill if I only eat 1200. I can however survive on 1500. A muscle milk protein shake is 230 calories, and keeps me full an entire morning. This leaves plenty of room for a healthy 500 calorie lunch with chicken and veggies that keeps me full all afternoon and then a nearly 800 calorie dinner.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I don't see what could possibly go wrong, since I feel full, healthy and fitter than ever before..
    Though I do appreciate that you care about what other MFP's are doing and you sure just want the best for them, maybe what's best for you isn't best for everyone.
    I'm not saying what's best for me. MFP wouldn't give you 1200 calories unless you put in incorrect information. Do yourself a favor and read up on BMR/TDEE. You don't have to take advice from me if you don't want to, I get that. My point is that 1200 calories isn't suitable for the majority of people that think they need it. You're included in that, but if you want to keep it up.. that's fine too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants is an incredible resource.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here might help too.

do yourself a favor, understand that you think you have it figured out.. but there might be more information out there that tells you that you're wrong.

I remember being 18. I thought I had a pretty good handle on everything too. If I had known NOW what I knew THEN, I wouldn't have had 153 extra pounds to lose.
  • verhunzt
    Options
    I'm not saying what's best for me. MFP wouldn't give you 1200 calories unless you put in incorrect information. Do yourself a favor and read up on BMR/TDEE. You don't have to take advice from me if you don't want to, I get that. My point is that 1200 calories isn't suitable for the majority of people that think they need it. You're included in that, but if you want to keep it up.. that's fine too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants is an incredible resource.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here might help too.

do yourself a favor, understand that you think you have it figured out.. but there might be more information out there that tells you that you're wrong.

I remember being 18. I thought I had a pretty good handle on everything too. If I had known NOW what I knew THEN, I wouldn't have had 153 extra pounds to lose.

Well, it tells me that a 0.5% to 1% weight loss is the best, since I am around 150 lbs, 1.5 lbs per week is actually still what they recommend.. which is what I set as a weekly weight loss goal.
  • trogalicious
    Options

Well, it tells me that a 0.5% to 1% weight loss is the best, since I am around 150 lbs, 1.5 lbs per week is actually still what they recommend.. which is what I set as a weekly weight loss goal.
    awesome. what do they say your TDEE/BMR are? You know, in the links that are in those threads.
  • dcaldwellgvg
    Options
    You need to eat something with protein in the morning so it will fill you up til the afternoon. I try to drink like a protein shake or eat a protein bar with not a lot of sugar that is max 200 cals. Then eat a 200-400 cal lunch. Your snacks should be low or negative calories...some good ones to snack on while hungry are : celery, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cauliflower...and much much more (check this link: http://www.brainyweightloss.com/list-of-negative-calorie-food.html)

Then eat a decent sized meal for dinner (400 cals- or a little more if you exercised but make sure not to go too below your normal cal goal or your metabolism will store fat)

Drink LOTS of water- I mean enough to make your urine clear. It will help with hunger pains. And try some Garcinia Cambogia with 100% HCA, this will help decrease your appetite. I also take B-12 or Green Coffee Bean Extract for energy and metabolism.
  • verhunzt
    Options

awesome. what do they say your TDEE/BMR are? You know, in the links that are in those threads.

Well but the TDEE calculates the exercise calories already. How do I know how active I will be? I'd rather calculate the calories I burnt off and eat them back afterwards..
    Of course I do eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I use the MFP calculator.
    My BMR is around 1500 calories.
  • trogalicious
    Options

Well but the TDEE calculates the exercise calories already. How do I know how active I will be? I'd rather calculate the calories I burnt off and eat them back afterwards..
    Of course I do eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I use the MFP calculator.

Awesome. So why not do some research about that BMR of 1500.. and why eating 1200 is gonna work.

That's your homework.
  • verhunzt
    Options
    You need to eat something with protein in the morning so it will fill you up til the afternoon. I try to drink like a protein shake or eat a protein bar with not a lot of sugar that is max 200 cals. Then eat a 200-400 cal lunch. Your snacks should be low or negative calories...some good ones to snack on while hungry are : celery, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cauliflower...and much much more (check this link: http://www.brainyweightloss.com/list-of-negative-calorie-food.html)

Then eat a decent sized meal for dinner (400 cals- or a little more if you exercised but make sure not to go too below your normal cal goal or your metabolism will store fat)

Drink LOTS of water- I mean enough to make your urine clear. It will help with hunger pains. And try some Garcinia Cambogia with 100% HCA, this will help decrease your appetite. I also take B-12 or Green Coffee Bean Extract for energy and metabolism.

Strawberries don't have negative calories.. strawberries have like 150 calories per 500 gram. <-<
  • verhunzt
    Options

Awesome. So why not do some research about that BMR of 1500.. and why eating 1200 is gonna work.

That's your homework.

I really feel the need to say "Yes daddy" and do the dog eyes.

I know that people say that eating below your BMR is unhealthy for you, I have read quite a lot of threads about this.. but the opinions are veeery divided. I mean in total my calories are probably right above my BMR. I just burn around 400 of them off every day.
  • trogalicious
    Options

That's your homework.

I really feel the need to say "Yes daddy" and do the dog eyes.

I know that people say that eating below your BMR is unhealthy for you, I have read quite a lot of threads about this.. but the opinions are veeery divided. I mean in total my calories are probably right above my BMR. I just burn around 400 of them off every day.
    If you are really obese... like a TON to lose.. eating temporarily under BMR isn't the end of the world.
    You aren't. You're doing it wrong. You can believe it all you want that you aren't, but that's cool. Have fun with it.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your resting energy burns, not including exercising, walking, etc. Your total calories out for the day might be a lot higher than you think.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Obviously if you're having a hard time sticking to 1200 calories due to hunger and then binging later on, then that is a sign that 1200 is too low for you. I find 1500 is a happy medium. You can also try exercising a little more if you can. That allows for more food.