Do you eat back your calories from excercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    No, I don't consciously eat back my exercise calories. I'm not 100% sure that I'm actually "burning" the amount my HRM says or the machine. If I do eat more on a day I exercised it's not because I felt the need to. I just set my calories at my own deficit and eat that regardless.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    For me, I set my exercise level to sedentary. I am a full time working mom, two kids, in a two story home. I walk a lot and do a lot of stairs.

I try to err on the side of caution when I log my food, and therefore when I exercise, I log all my cals. I use an HRM.

I eat back almost all of my exercise cals and have since I started on MFP two years ago.
    When I started, I was struggling with those last ten pounds, which I firmly believed I would never lose. Ever.

I've lost close to twenty. Strictly by keeping at a very mild deficit (I've lost 5 pounds since I switched to maintenance), busting my *kitten* with my workouts, and eating what I want as long as it fits in my total cals for the day (including exercise cals). Yesterday... I burned around 1200 cals, and ate close to 3000.

If you are weighing your food, and being honest with your effort... there is no reason why, if you are following the MFP method, you can't safely eat at least 50 - 75% of your exercise cals back.
  • dalesimpson1
    dalesimpson1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most days I don't eat exercise calories but I have been known to go on a long, brisk walk so I can have some pizza!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose and how large a deficit you have built into the MFP numbers already. If you have a relatively small amount of weight to lose and you have your MFP deficit set to 1lb per week and you are exercising a couple of hundred calories per day, then you can probably get away with not eating them back. However if you are set to a 2lb per week loss and exercising 500+ calories per day, then you should probably eat some of them back. When I started on MFP I was on 1680 calories with a 2lb per week goal and at my doctor's instruction I did not eat my exercise calories back. I lost weight and MFP lowered my calories down to 1230, which was still at 2lb per week deficit. But I could no longer recover from my exercise as well. I calculated my TDEE and discovered I was eating at a > 50% deficit. I switched to the TDEE method and increased my calories so that I eat the same amount each day and still lose 2lb per week. As my goal gets closer I'll reduce the deficit further.

It also depends on how you are getting your exercise calorie numbers. The MFP numbers are often significantly higher than those from my HRM. For example, MFP has 596 for my morning bike ride and my HRM has around 300 calories. When possible I get the calories from my HRM. When I don't have my HRM I typically use half the MFP calorie number. If you are using the MFP calorie number, you might want to try eating about 50% of your exercise calories back.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For me, I set my exercise level to sedentary. I am a full time working mom, two kids, in a two story home. I walk a lot and do a lot of stairs.

I try to err on the side of caution when I log my food, and therefore when I exercise, I log all my cals. I use an HRM.

I eat back almost all of my exercise cals and have since I started on MFP two years ago.
    When I started, I was struggling with those last ten pounds, which I firmly believed I would never lose. Ever.

I've lost close to twenty. Strictly by keeping at a very mild deficit (I've lost 5 pounds since I switched to maintenance), busting my *kitten* with my workouts, and eating what I want as long as it fits in my total cals for the day (including exercise cals). Yesterday... I burned around 1200 cals, and ate close to 3000.

If you are weighing your food, and being honest with your effort... there is no reason why, if you are following the MFP method, you can't safely eat at least 50 - 75% of your exercise cals back.

That's amazing! good work :) I hope I can stick with it like that, this is the longest I have remained logging on MFP, just on one month.

Just curious, what do you do for exercise that burns off 1200 calories?
  • DLo_122
    DLo_122 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try not to.....but sometimes, I'm too hungry.

1200 calories is not enough some days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I try not to, because then what was the reason for exercising?

There are numerous reasons for exercising that go far beyond burning calories. Your weight loss deficit is built into your calorie goal...you do not need to exercise to create your calorie deficit. You activity level with MFP is just supposed to be your day to day kinda stuff...exercise is an extra activity that needs to be accounted for...this is particularly important if you have a substantially large deficit built in already and/or you are doing vigorous exercise...exercise is good for you but it also breaks down the body and you need nutrients to rebuild your body.

Also, this is why so many people have issues maintaining once they've lost the weight...they never really wrap their brains around the fact that you exercise for the sake of fitness and your general health and well being, not for weight loss....they lose the weight and stop exercising and then they're shocked when they put all that weight back on. You'd think it was a no brainer but obviously that is not the case...

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I've been maintaining for almost a year and I exercise more now than when I was losing...so really...no other reason for exercising huh?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    okay... so....

this thread again.

MFP is already set up so you lose weight. If you don't work out AT ALL, you're already at a caloric deficit.

Now, that said, the calorie burn estimates that MFP gives off are... well.. just that... estimates. Not eating back at least 50-75% of your calories isn't really doing you any favors.

If you're using MFP as it is designed, then you eat the calories back.

^^^ THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I do.

Unless I don't.

But I usually do because I like food and exercise makes me hungry and it's my bodies way of fueling both my exercise and my weight loss. If I didn't generally eat them back then my deficit would be higher than intended and I might lose a higher ratio of muscle to fat than would be ideal for my goals. I don't want to be thin and weak. I don't want to spend months or years getting that healthy muscle tissue back.

Maybe other people hate muscle and so they don't eat those calories back or maybe they don't care or maybe they are too focused on losing the weight fast instead of overall health or... (insert reason people don't eat them back here).

Edit because didn't give it a once over before hitting post (though my grammar is still atrocious with the edit).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I try not to, because then what was the reason for exercising?

Fitness and health is the reason for exercise.

Re: eating calories back.....MFP gave you a deficit BEFORE exercise. If the purpose of exercise was "just to burn calories" ....then eating them back would be silly. But many people exercise to maintain muscle mass while dieting....this only works when the calorie deficit is not too big.

Eat calories back* if you want to look good.

Don't eat calories back if you want the SCALE to look good.

*MFP and many machines give generous calorie estimates. Many MFP'ers eat a % back....say 60%.
  • farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate eating calories back after I exercise; what's the point of exercise if you eat them back? Well, it's true that even if you eat them back exercise does confer other benefits, but I still don't/won't do it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i was actively losing weight i did not eat them, but now that i'm at my target weight, i eat and drink them all!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It is probably a good idea to at least eat some of your exercise calories back, especially if you're set as "sedentary" or "lightly active". Some people say that the exercise machines and MFP overestimate your calories burned. Even so I'd at least eat some of it back, because you're still burning calories either way. If you are using a heart rate monitor, those are the most accurate, and you should be eating all of those calories back. If you're using other things, like an activity tracker, those are just estimates, but I'd at least eat most of those back.

Now if you set yourself as "active" then you probably don't need to log your exercises because you're estimate based on your average activity level would be already in there. That is another idea if you are wary about eating back your calories. Set yourself to active and eat at that level and see what happens.

For me, though, I set myself as "lightly active" and add in my exercises. Some people find that motivating to get their exercises in to begin with!
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat them back, if not I leave it be. Keep it simple, don't be afraid to eat them back.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

That's amazing! good work :) I hope I can stick with it like that, this is the longest I have remained logging on MFP, just on one month.

Just curious, what do you do for exercise that burns off 1200 calories?

A crazy intense hour long boxing session, walking over my lunch hour, running the 19 flights of stairs at work, twice. And that day... I may have also done some weights when I got home.