Topamax for Binge Eating Disorder users! - Please help! :)

Options
Hello! I have been reading all of the discussions regarding Topamax for Binge Eating Disorder on the community boards and was curious how you went about getting your initial prescription? Is this something you can get through your GP? I'm sure it can be tricky getting something like this as many would recommend therapy, etc (which i've tried for 3 yrs for BED to no avail). Could someone point me in the right direction or tell me which type of doctor can prescribe Topamax?
Thanks so much!

Replies

• ShowGirl84
    Options
    can someone please help? I am going to try and get it online if I can't find a doc, but would really love some help from you guys!
  • marykate1984
    marykate1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Give your doctor's office a call and ask that question. The GP can prescribe it but it will be up to your doctor to decide if he/she wants to treat you himself/herself or refer you to a specalist. Good luck!!
  • jennifercpaulk
    Options
    I'm not sure about binge eating prevention as an attribute of Topamax. I was prescribed this drug about 3 1/2 years ago. While I did gain weight, not a substantial amount granted, I noticed a lot of my taste receptors were very augmented. I completely lost the taste for certain foods and drinks. (Coca-Cola and I had a break up during this period of time.) My prescription was based upon severe migraines due to a low thyroid. My dosage was pretty high, something I had to work up to. It is certainly not something I would recommend. There are NUMEROUS side effects. While I was on it I named it Stupid-Max. I could not think, speak, or function. This would be a last line of defense. It is like opening Pandora's box. If you do proceed, follow the prescription to the letter and above all else DO NOT stop taking it cold turkey.
  • sallyr64
    sallyr64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My sister has taken this drug prescribed as a preventative med for migraines. There was no desire to eat - made everything taste bland. I suppose that would be beneficial to someone having a binge eating disorder.
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Please do all your research and talk to your Dr about side effects before considering taking topamax. I took it and suffered TONS of nasty side effects that my doc didn't tell me about (and I didn't do enough due diligence), so I didn't understand what was wrong for months until I realized it was the topamax. Coming off of that stuff is not fun either...and it didn't even do what it was supposed to do for me! I know these medications affect each person differently so maybe it will work for you and you won't have side effects, but IMO there is no quick fix to binge eating and taking a medication may cause additional issues for you in the long run like it did for me.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do your homework--most people have problems with the generic form. It's really hard to get off of. It can affect your sleep. I wouldn't recommend it unless all other conventional means have been exhausted.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    can someone please help? I am going to try and get it online if I can't find a doc, but would really love some help from you guys!

Probably not a good idea for numerous reasons.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    it has curbed my binge eating for sure. My doctor had no problem prescribing it, I did not even ask. The generic is only about $3 or $4. It does have some weird side effects and be sure to drink plenty of water. A lot people complain about headahces with it, but I noticed the headaches I developed were not from the meds, but because it curbed my appetite so much I had forgotten to eat and just needed to eat. Once I ate the headache was gone. He prescribed it for me to give me a jump start and other diet pills elevate blood pressure. I will come off of it at the end of the month. I know the cravings will come back, but I am hoping that the weight I have lost will give me the motivation to keep up the self discipline I need. I was having a hard time getting the scale to move again so this was just a temporary fix, not a perm one. I am on the lowest dose.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I was on very high levels of Topamax for my migraines and it didn't effect my appetite at all.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Topamax for BED, but I was prescribed Prozac for my eating disorder and it really helped with controlling my binging urges. You might want to seek out a eating disorder clinic, they can help you determine the best medication when coupled with therapy.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Dr_Skversky_Dr_Oz_Part_2.jpg

I believe this subject was spawned by Dr. Oz and The Most Interesting 'Fro in Medicine.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I take it to regulate my migraines... hasn't reduced my appetite any - bummer... :sad:
  • Ginrhea
    Ginrhea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to take Topomax for my migraines and it didn't help with my binge eating at all.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that a drug used to treat seizures can reduce binge eating and ketosis which was used to treat seizures before there were seizure medications also can reduce binge eating.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have never heard about using Topomax for either migraines or BED but what I do know from personal experience is that it is often prescribed for seizure disorders. I take it myself where I have epilepsy. Taking it for these two reasons mentioned is new news to me!!! :noway: :huh:
  • MargoQuigley
    Options
    I was on Topamax for a short while as a migraine preventative. I did lose some weight from it but I believe it was because the medication made me not want to eat at all. As others have mentioned, certain foods (carbonated beverages in particular) tasted horrendous. However, I also suffered from some of the nastier side effects including heart palpitations, aphasia, loss of concentration, loss of feeling in my hands and feet, and significant memory problems. It took several months for the aphasia and memory loss to dissipate after stopping the drug. While it did help with the migraines and the weight loss was a nice bonus, the side effects were not worth continuing with this medication.
  • jennifercpaulk
    Options
    Totally agree with Margo! I forgot about the tingly sensation with loss of feeling. Just say no!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that my husband was on the generic version, and it literally made him retarded while he was on it--hence the nickname "Stupimax." It slows a lot of processes down like basic thinking and response to questions.