Your heart rate.....

Options
For those of you with an HRM....how high does your heart rate get during exercise? Mine gets really high sometimes. Like today it got to 183 at one point and it's not like I'm gasping for air or anything. I'm female and 40

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Mine has gotten pretty high before, in the 180's, and like you I wasn't gasping for air and it was for a short time. I think it's okay as long as you don't keep your heart rate that high for a long period of time. I'm female, 35 years old, so pretty close to the same as you.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I've seen mine go up to 203 during a race. My normal running heart rate is high 160s-low 190s. For TF workouts, it only gets as high as mid-160s, but it honestly depends on what I'm doing. My asthma controls my intensity usually.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Ok I feel a little better now. I was kinda freaking out a little. It said my average HR was in the high 150's I think. So I'm good, right?:happy:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm a 31 year old female, and doing Insanity it gets up to 189-191 and stays there until the little breaks...but gets right back up there again.

During Turbo workouts, it stays around 175 or so.

During P90X workouts, it's more like 180 because I work hard to lift heavier weights.

When I do something not so strenuous, like jogging or something like that, it normally stays around 165-170 or so.

The only time I am "gasping for air" would be after 30 minutes or longer of the Insanity workouts. I can carry out conversations easily with the others.
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My trainer yelled at me when he saw mine was 189 during a session yesterday... "DOES THAT SAY 189!?!? Thats too high!!" and so I"m in HR detention at this moment. He's giving me some ratios, said it depends on my resting heart rate which was my "homework" -- I'll find out at tomorrow's session what he has to say.

I'm 24, Resting heart rate was 60.... elliptical for long time I'm usually in the 150-160.... Zumba classes put me in the 160-170... running or rowing is an automatic 180-190, no questions asked. He said I need to try to keep it at 160-170 max for long periods of time
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My trainer yelled at me when he saw mine was 189 during a session yesterday... "DOES THAT SAY 189!?!? Thats too high!!" and so I"m in HR detention at this moment. He's giving me some ratios, said it depends on my resting heart rate which was my "homework" -- I'll find out at tomorrow's session what he has to say.

I'm 24, Resting heart rate was 60.... elliptical for long time I'm usually in the 150-160.... Zumba classes put me in the 160-170... running or rowing is an automatic 180-190, no questions asked. He said I need to try to keep it at 160-170 max for long periods of time

I'm 27 and mine heart ratee numbers are about exactly the same as yours. Any time I run on the treadmill it stay pretty elevated, in the 180 range... I'm not sure what I can do about that, b/c if I slow down, I don't feel like I'm getting a good enough workout.. not sweating, not tired, ect...
  • Lyadeia
    Options

I would find a new trainer. That's NOT too high. In fact, the more intensely you workout, the higher it will go...and the fact is, the higher intensity the workout, the more calories you burn, and the more fat you lose.
  • BoresEasily
    Options

I would find a new trainer. That's NOT too high. In fact, the more intensely you workout, the higher it will go...and the fact is, the higher intensity the workout, the more calories you burn, and the more fat you lose.

Everything she just said.
    Oh, and damn you Lyadeia, you beat me to it yet again!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I have the opposite problem that you all have. I have a hell of a hard time getting my heart rate over 80%. In fact I only know of a few ways to do it at the moment: HIIT sprints or HIIT stationary bike sprints and outdoor running, not jogging.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Do you all have heart rate moniters? I go by what is on the gym machines and often I go over 200... I have to work really hard at staying in the 190s. Although - now that I have been working out consistantly for the last 3 months I have noticed that I usually can keep myself in the high 180's for the most part.

Are gym machines an acurate HR reading? I have a bodybugg that shows calories burned, steps taken etc.. but unfortunatly does not show heart rate.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I have a HRM and I know the calories burned on most gym machines is off or so I've read from a thousand experts. I don't know if they're accurate for the actual HR or not though. I'd be curious to see what Az, Tonya, Lyadeia, or SHBoss have to say on the matter.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Your maximum heart rate depends on your age and your weight.

There's a formula you can use as a guideline:

Males: 210 minus 1/2 your age minus 5% of your body weight + 4
    Females: 210 minus - 1/2 your age minus 1% of your body weight + 0

Here's an example. I am 69 years old and weigh 176 pounds. My arithmetic formula then would be as follows:
    210 - 34.5 (50% x 69 years) minus 1.76 + 0 (female) = Max HR of 173/4 bpm

Someone half my age would have a higher maximum heart rate.

Important not to hold your MHR for more than one minute.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I have a HRM and I know the calories burned on most gym machines is off or so I've read from a thousand experts. I don't know if they're accurate for the actual HR or not though. I'd be curious to see what Az, Tonya, Lyadeia, or SHBoss have to say on the matter.

I have an HRM and don't ever use the calories burned estimations on the gym machines. They are very high estimations and make it look like I burn 1000+ cals for a slow jog (4.5 mph) in an hour.
  • jmijares
    Options
    I have an HRM and don't ever use the calories burned estimations on the gym machines. They are very high estimations and make it look like I burn 1000+ cals for a slow jog (4.5 mph) in an hour.

The calorie calculations on gym machines are way off for me too. Unless you can enter height, weight, age, gender, and max heart rate, it'll always be off. I always rely on my HRM for calorie counts.

Max heart rate is genetically determined but the formula CSchachel put down there is really close. I'm 40, but I've pushed my heart rate as high as 191 during a hill run. I ran the data through some software to see if there were any errors in the recording and there were none.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Normally the highest mine ever gets is around 177. However, every now and then, I'll have a workout wear my heart rate goes into the 180's for a minute or so.

Whenever I go into the 180's, I'm not really gasping for breath either, but it's not like it's a walk around the neighborhood either. Jeez. :) You're average of 150 sounds perfect to me. That's where mine normally is.

EDIT: Actually, just thought about it, and I have gotten up to 203 once, but not for long. I immediately started lowering my intensity when I saw that. It can't be good to stay in the 200's for long. (And, yeah, I do believe I was gasping for breath at that point.) I'd say that MaxHR equation is pretty darn close. 210 - 8 - 1.88 + 0 = 200.12.
  • Bryan190
    Options
    Mine has peaked at 171 a couple of times, which is a bit higher than the standard formula suggests for a 57 y.o. male, 163. I've adjusted my max HR in my Polar FT7 to 171.
  • btuman43
    Options
    I a fairly healthy 38 year old male and I can keep my heart rate in the 180's for a full 30 minutes while running. I keep reading that this isnt really good, but if im not feeling any chest pain should I slow it down? Last thing I want to do is keel over. lol But I want to work as hard as possible as well.
  • jmijares
    Options
    I a fairly healthy 38 year old male and I can keep my heart rate in the 180's for a full 30 minutes while running. I keep reading that this isnt really good, but if im not feeling any chest pain should I slow it down? Last thing I want to do is keel over. lol But I want to work as hard as possible as well.

What's your max HR?
  • btuman43
    Options
  • jmijares
    Options
    It might be higher than 185... How many days do you have to recover before running again and not feeling any strain? Bottom line is that the human body can sustain a high HR for a short amount of time, but the penalty is that you burn more glycogen (fuel in the form of food you just ate) vs fat. So you'd need adequate recovery time, probably a few days, before you can exercise again.