To shop now or not to shop?

Options
Hubby gifted me a chunk of money to go shopping for new clothes whenever I so choose. I've been saving it to go when I reach my goal. I'm half way there and with summer coming I have next to nothing to wear this summer (that fits anyway). I'm contemplating using some of it now just to hold me over to the end. If I don't I'll be wearing the same 2 pair of jeans all summer...and I work at a summer camp June-August.

So...would you or wouldn't you?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What I did when I was "in progress" was shop in thrift stores. That way, I'm not spending too much money on things I know won't fit when I reached my goal.
  • TNSLB
    TNSLB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First, I'd check with my friends to see if any of them have extras in the wrong sizes (for them!). Then I'd take a bit of the cash and hit the clearance racks and the thrift shops just for some basic staples to tide you over.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Goodwill in wealthy neighborhoods = pure win.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just had to buy some new clothes. I bought a few transitional pieces (elastic/drawstring waists, stretchier fabrics), and a few things I can wear again while pregnant (hopefully within a year). If you don't object to used clothing, take some and hit up eBay or a thrift store! You can pick up a few pieces to see you through for not much money. I asked about transitional clothing a little while back, and the overwhelming consensus was either thrift store or discount store (JC Penney, Ross, Target, TJ Maxx, Old Navy were all listed multiple times).
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yep....hit the second hand store for some cheap shorts & capris to get you through til goal. I waited to get work clothes until I could drop my pants by taking off my belt....no unbuttoning or unzipping required! I had been a size 12 and bought new clothes as a size 6. I waited....a loooooooong time!! LOL
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I"m with ya - I'm in transition and I love to thrift shop - great past time anyway........

I just go to the thrift stores - the ones here have color sales (all tags __________color are 99 cents) for $20 I can get a new wardrobe to get me by and then save the bulk for when I get to goal!
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Get something nice but cheap now and save the rest for when you hit your awesome goal. Good luck!!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had a complete wardrobe of all the sizes I outgrew on the way up. Have a look in your closet; you might find something already paid for!

Personally, I'm waiting until goal before I do my big shop. I don't want to spend money on clothes I'll have too loose on me in a few weeks/months.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have been consignment shopping for the last several months because I don't even make it a full season in clothes. And then once I get to my goal i am going to splurge on some new clothes.. but honestly i have found some amazing consignment stores ill probably still shop at
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Clearance at Target & Khols. Also, Goodwill.

You'll save tons and only spend a small portion of your "goal" money.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd wait until May or something, so that what you buy now still fits at the end of the Summer. And I'd just buy the minimum - bottoms (and swimsuit if you're going to need one). You can still wear your bigger shirts. Everything I bought last year is way too big now, even the shirts (thankfully I only bought 2 cheap ones then).
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Could you get some of your existing spring/summer clothes taken in? I've found that's sometimes a cheaper solution than purchasing new. I don't know how many sizes you've lost, but the place I take stuff is successful taking most things in 2 sizes and some things (depending on how they're made) 3 sizes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely would. But as many others have said, if you don't want to spend much of it at this point, check out consignment shop, thrift stores, 2nd hand shops and discount retailers (TJ Maxx, Marshalls). I have found some absolutely wonderful clothes at stores like this and sometimes you can even luck out and find stuff at the thrift/consignment shops that's new with the tags still on! There are definitely some that are better than others so check out all your area shops and check often as their stock tends to cycle quickly.

Good luck and have fun shopping!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Get something nice but cheap now and save the rest for when you hit your awesome goal. Good luck!!

+1

I am a big believer in having clothes that fit and flatter you and make you feel good at EVERY size along the way. That said, there's no point in wasting money when you KNOW the clothes will only be temporary.

I have learned this the hard way, because it took me a couple of years to go from size 22 to 18 I just assumed it would be a year 'til I was in a 16 so I bought a whole new wardrobe in size 18/1X only to have it be too big in a few months. Now I proceed with caution. Sometimes it's hard not to buy the perfect skinny jeans in every single color when they're on sale but I don't do it because I know I'll be changing sizes again soon. I try to go w/ more of a "capsule wardrobe" even if that means I just have 3 pairs of jeans.

Also agree with the secondhand and clearance rack suggestions...but I have ALWAYS shopped that way, it's not a new thing due to weight changes :-)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The beautiful thing about clearance racks is that usually the current season is on clearance to make room for the coming season. I hit every clearance rack I saw while I was losing. They weren't always the clothes I normally would have chosen for myself, but I was able to put together a fairly good transitional wardrobe cheap.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I would definitely buy a few things I could feel fabulous in! I don't know what your personal taste is but I would go for a couple of maxi dresses with an elasticated bust area, you may still be able to wear them when you reach your goal :smile: Leggings with tunics/dresses would also last through a few sizes.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The only thing ive really bought during my diet is a new pair of jeans, there is only so much you can rely on a belt for, other stuff shirts, jackets etc im putting off till im at goal and then im going to go nuts. I also second what alot of people have said regarding charity shop, cheaper shop, in England we have a shop called Primark where yoy can get a plain T-shirt for £4 and jeans for £8 so these bits and pieces tide me over.