Benadryl for running lung burn?

Options
I'm a pretty solid runner, but my running goes more or less dormant over the winter and it's always a battle in the spring to get my wind and stamina back to be able to go 2-3-4 miles in a clip without gassing out. Spring has sprung and I just came back in the house after my first outdoor run of the season and I sucked. I don't think I got more that 3/4 of a mile before my lungs were on fire and I could taste metal in my mouth. I've been on a treadmill plenty of times over the past couple weeks running simulated 5ks and doing pretty well.. This leads me to believe it's something to do with the outdoor air.

I'm starting to think this might be some sort of an allergy thing. Pollen is through the roof right now, I've been sneezing and having itchy eyes all week. Does anyone here think that using some sort of an antihistamine will help alleviate my lung inflammation?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would give it a few more runs before taking the Benadryl. It does take the body a little time to get used to the transition from running inside to running outside. The same also goes when the seasons change. If you don't see any improvement by your 3 or 4 run outside, then maybe it might help.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You could be running faster outside which is causing you to not be able to run as far and make your lungs burn.

You might want to try benadryl (which I'm not sure if it comes in non drowsy or not) for your allergies and see what happens.

On your next run try it with the antihistamine and slowing it down a bit.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your trying to run too fast. As the previous poster said you need to give your body time to transition from treadmill to running outside.
  • ryangassxx
    Options
    I don't think it's my pace, but the terrain on the "track" that I do my run on is definitely pretty challenging. Lots of inclines and declines. I think that might be what's kicking my butt.. But this isn't anything new. It's like I said it's always a battle this time of year to get back. I just know that allergies have been a problem for me lately and I'm wondering if it's compounding the problem.

I guess my real question is if taking Benadryl will even have any impact on the lung burn. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing that. I'm just thinking that an antihistamine is supposed to alleviate inflammation, and if that goes for your lungs as well..

Any doctors on here? :D
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Benadryl (Dipenhydramine ) will definitely make you sleepy and sluggish. It's the active ingredient in many OTC sleep aids.
    If you want to take an antihistamine try claritin (laratadine) xyrtec or allegra which do not cause drowsiness. Avoid the D (decongestant) versions because they contain pseudoephedrine which is an amphetamine type drug (used in making illicit crystal meth) that can send your heart rate and blood pressure through the roof when you run
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Don't take bendryl, it will knock you out! Take a non drowsy allergy medication and see if it helps.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with asthma. And seasonal allergies. I've probably had it my whole life, but never diagnosed. I'm in NJ, and my doctor told me that with all the snow we had, this tree pollen season will be awful. I'm taking Singulair (prescription) daily to avoid exercise-induced asthma, and daily Allegra (OTC) to deal with allergies. It's working well.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Try to breathe through your nose rather than the mouth.

Benadryl is going to knock you out so take Claritin or Allegra instead.

If this continues, I would also suggest seeing a doctor as this could be exercise-induced asthma.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters who said it will put you to sleep...maybe try claritin or something else instead? But not benadryl...that would be one slooooooooooow run. :)