vibration/power plates

Options
I have a back injury which prevents me doing high impact aerobic exercise, I do walk a lot and swim but was thinking of using these. I know the have no cardio benefit but do they really help with inch loss toning and cellulite has any one used these and had a good result

Replies

• sarahlouisah
    Options
    has any one tried these
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No and no.

I'd make sure you stay on a calorie deficit a include weight/resistance training.
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No and no.

I'd make sure you stay on a calorie deficit a include weight/resistance training.

^^this
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Like sitting on a washer during spin cycle?
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's the same thing, but we have one at my gym. It can only be used under trainer supervision because I think it costs a gazillion dollars. LED readouts, multiple settings, all that stuff.

My trainer has me use it from time to time to work out a cramp or relieve some aches. Maybe 45-second intervals. Not as a substitute for cardio or lifting. It really does work out the cramps and aches.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Like sitting on a washer during spin cycle?

Well, somebody knows how to have a good time!

laundry-spin-cycle.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    <<~~ misread title... very disappointed..
  • ryangassxx
    Options
    They're good for shaking out lactic acid and they confuse the nerves and it sort of mutes pain if you were really pushing out some squats on it. I've been on it a few times with a trainer. To me it just sort of numbs my legs and arms while I'm doing stuff, and the aforementioned was the benefit as it was explained to me..
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Maybe I over estimate how much they move but I wouldn't put my back injury anywhere near something which jarred and juddered and shook in any way!

Walking and mini tramp serve me well as does just being more active by just moving more. I never bring my dessert yog in with my dinner, I get back up and get it, I jog on the spot while my porridge is cooking, I use the loo furthest away from me etc etc.

It all helps :o)
  • KatyMiriam
    KatyMiriam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There doesn't seem to be an option for inputting a power plate work out into Myfitnesspal, anyone any thoughts what it might be listed under? Tried the obvious searching 'power' and 'vibration' even 'plate'
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was seeing a chiropractor for my back and he has like 3 of them. Something about Russian cosmonauts use them for training or something. It was a bit like going over a cobblestone road on a skateboard, but I was doing stretches and PT with them, and at the end of every session my muscles felt looser and I left more feeling more flexible than when I came in.

I changed countries. right next door to Russia but my gym doesn't have any power plates!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    126790k.gif
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    (I totally came in here to make a childish joke because I thought this was another troll thread.... nvm.)

Sorry about your back. I've been there. the best thing that helped my back recover was golf. More or less, it helped me strengthen my core, which had been weakened by spending too much time at a desk or on my car. I'm not a big fan of vibrating power plates. They don't seem very intense.

If you're looking for something low impact, you should check out the surf machine.
    tumblr_muc3vz9Hju1ro3593o1_250.gif

youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnIJe3QR-7Q
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My physiotherapist had one... and the assistant said that they never used it... So, guesses are, no.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Actually a few years ago I had a course of these Vibration Plates thingys - forget the term!! I did watch my calories at the same time and it actually DID WORK! but I was going 3 times a week, just 10 mins at a time...everything toned up great but I didn't FEEL fitter, I just LOOKED fitter...(from memory I lost a few inches off my waist/hips/thighs)..of course I stopped going and the inches came back on in a matter of months. The same goes for anything if you don't stick at it.

Fast forward a few years where I now do a mixture of strength training and cardio for 60 mins 5 days/week (at home) and I've never been so toned in my life.

My answer is: save your money, even just get out there and start walking - your health will benefit, your body will tone and you'll save £s :-D
  • keenanmw
    keenanmw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's very important you know what TYPE of "vibration" plate you are using. For your back, I would stay away from the Power Plate style because it is way too aggressive. ivivalife.com