Weightloss side effect?

Options
I have lost 23 lbs in about 3 months and I have noticed that my hair is falling out!!! I have very thick hair, so at first it didnt bother me but i still continue to lose hair! It has also become very coarse and dry? Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do??

Replies

• cashmore
    Options
    Not enough calories or protein maybe??
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hair may fall out when you don't get enough healthy, dietary fat also. It will add shine too which may explain why it is dry.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    it definately sounds like you are lacking something in your diet!!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    You're not eating enough food. Eat more, your body needs calories to grow hair.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Same things was happening to me, your probally under eating and lacking some healthy fat. Yes its important to eat fat! And it could be your shampoo maybe?
  • ZebraGlee78
    ZebraGlee78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No hair falling out, but my skin is all blotchy on my upper thighs.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Add extra protein. Also try taking Bioten which can be found in the vitamen section. It is recommended to all gastric bypass patients who experience hair loss. Good luck and keep up the good work on your new journey in life.:laugh:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    It does not necessarily mean your not eating enough or doing something wrong. The same thing happened to me. (I posted a topic about it a few months ago and got several private messages about my 'eating disorder' ). So I went to my doctor and showed him my food logs....he said that I was getting ALL the nutrition that my body needed, but my hormones were adjusting to losing weight. He said that as soon as I started maintaining the hair loss would stop. I'm not maintaining yet, but I've plateaued and it did stop.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Well you may not be getting all your vitamins and minerals. If your eating good clean foods your hair and nails should be strong and grow fast ;-) mine are the best they ever have been. I also take a mulit vit for active women. I can not see your diary so I really cant say if you are eating healthy. Rember its not just about cutting back but eating the right foods and getting enough caloriies as well.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have had that happen in the past. Usually when I've really restricted what I eat.
    Maybe try a good vitamin/mineral supplement too.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My copy of "Prescription for Nutitional Healing" (2nd Edition- James F. Balch MD and Phyllis A Balch, CNC) says the following (plus more): "In addition to heredity, factors that promote hair loss include poor circulation, acute illness, surgery, radiation exposure, skin disease, sudden weight loss, high fever, iron deficieincy, diabetes, thyroid disease, drugs such as those used in chemotherapy, stress, poor diet, and vitamin deficiencies." They have an extensive vitamin, mineral and herb recommendation list that includes "Bio Rizin from American Biologics", Essential Fatty Acides (flaxseed oil, primrose oil, salmon oil, etc.) in addition to B Complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and maximum of 50-100 mg of Zinc daily. (pp.294-295) They recommend natural sources of foods with biotin in them including Brewer's yeast, brown rice, bulgur, green peas, lentils, oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds and walnuts.(p.295)

I think I may check out the Bio Rizin stuff...

Congratulations on your success and Here's to healthy hair!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hair may fall out when you don't get enough healthy, dietary fat also. It will add shine too which may explain why it is dry.

I agree.
  • fizzyyumyum
    Options
    that is really worrying.....i have seen too many people get like that...u must of lost too much weight, be malnourished and not eating enough
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    While dietary fat is important to healthy hair, it could also be a vitamin deficiency. Have you noticed anything else? IMHO I'd let your doctor know, they may want to do a blood test to see if you are vitamin or mineral deficient, they would be able to tell you what you need so you can supplement your diet without having to up all your nutrients.
  • fizzyyumyum
    Options
    milk/dairy is good for hair and nails...i use to have 1.5 litres of milk a day and my hair is amazing and grows so fast
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    i used to work at a weight loss clinic and we made everyone take a multi and fish or flax oil they had to do3 fish or flax oil with everymeal maybe that is what you need if you decide to do it I would start out slow maybe doing 3-6 oil a day if taking too many you can get the effect of having to go to the bathroom. hopes this helps
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I already take a multivitamin supplement and I have had bloodwork done. The Dr. says that this is to be expected when calories have been cut to 1200 a day. I have noticed that the more dairy I eat the better my hair feels so I am betting I need to eat better fats.
  • amg22
    amg22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same things is happening to me. My boss (a physician) suggested for me to take a supplement called "hair and nails" im going to go look for it today.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    FYI, multi's generally aren't any where near as good as actual food for vitamin and mineral delivery. Google bio-availability, most vitamins (OTC vitamins that aren't specialty) have a bio-availability of below 50% (I.E. less than 50% of the vitamins listed are actually metabolized), some are as low as 20%, so be careful there. also the FDA doesn't care whether a vitamin listed is in a digestible form, just that it's there. Sometimes they extract vitamins from sources that are not the right molecular configuration for us to digest, meaning you really can't use it, even though you swallowed it. Just things to be aware of that the drug companies won't tell you.

That's why I always recommend foods to satisfy vitamin and mineral requirements over pills. I never take supplements, it's not a belief or bias (I'm fine with people doing it, as long as they understand the issues involved with it), I just understand that our body processes these things a certain way, and delivering them in a different way is never quite the same.