Should I weigh myself everyday?

Options
I went to the gym and burned 750 calories yesterday and did not go over my calorie limit for the day and when I weighed myself this morning I was 2 pounds heavier than yesterday. This is so discouraging. Should I continue to weigh myself everyday or maybe once a week? What do you guys do?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself everyday, I'd suggest doing so only if you're going to track every day and then use the data to look at trends.

The pro is that you have more data points than if you weigh yourself once per month, for example. If that one weigh-in is off for whatever reason (e.g. a heavy meal the night before) then you might not get the best idea of what your average weight is.

The con is that if you're going to focus on a single day's data point and not look at it in context, you'll drive yourself crazy.

EDIT: to answer your question. I do weigh myself everyday, and then record it on a spreadsheet. I also track and pay attention to other metrics, like body measurements.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You should adjust your mindset. Exercising a bit for a day doesn't produce notable changes. Losing fat takes weeks and months of calorie deficit.

I weigh everyday so I have more data points. It's fun to see the daily ups and downs, and it helps track monthly trends.

Edit: hehe what evankeel said.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you're going to freak out over 2 lb weight gains from one day to the next, definitely not.

Those happen and after you track weight for a period of time you get used to it.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? 750 is a lot. I would not eat all of those back. Also, sometimes after the gym your weight will go up slightly...

A person's scale mass is a combination of muscle, fat, bone, the brain and neural tract, connective tissue, blood, lymph, intestinal gas, urine, and the air that we carry in our lungs. Immediately after a workout routine, the percentage of mass in each of these categories can shift as much as 15 percent." Intense workouts cause variability on the scale due to factors like hydration status, inflammation from muscle damage repair (we call this delayed onset muscle soreness), even the amount of intestinal by-product or urine and blood volume.

I do weigh myself daily.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i also weigh every day and it doesn't even phase me when the scale goes up.

i'm looking to see trend over weeks/months
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. People say that but what it means is the chemistry at work in the body is not immediate. Weight fluctuates and the only way to stay sane is to look for results over time. What you do today may not show up for days or even weeks.

I weigh everyday - but I also understand that the scale # is not always accurate. So many things affect it. Sodium, stress, hormones, sleep, etc. Look for progress over time, and non scale victories such as how your clothing fits.
  • Finnhansford1
    Options
    Nope do it every week on a empty stomach trust me if you do it everyday you will get annoyed sometimes weight shifts but its not your fault it could be water
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Not if you live and die by the scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    its glycogen , and depending on when you ate back those calories, it could be waste too

2lb variation, in a day , not a big deal, NOTHING to feel bad for , really, assume today is a rest day?
    if it is , eat right, avoid salt, and see what happens when you weigh in in the morning..

ive posted previously even weighing yourself through the day, your weight fluctuates' like right now im eating lunch , if i weigh myself after, i know i will be up about 2lbs from my morning weigh in , ive had my breakfast shake, some coffee, about 6 cusp water, and my lunch , and thats all "in my system"...

if i weigh again at bed time it will be even higher... and when i weigh in in the morning, it will be back where it belongs...

weight
    on a regular scale
    is NOT
    a measure of progress...

you worked out and burnt 750 calories... which means you either worked out hard and fast, or slow and steady...
    how did it feel...
    was it better than last time you worked out, did it feel good to see what that amazing machine can do , your body is the best built machine out there , and when we challenge it it delivers as best as it can ... if i burnt 750 calories in a work out i know i would be muscle sore and trembly, sweat and proud as heck that i got through it ...

isnt that a better
    measurement than
    how the effects of gravity
    measure mass??
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.... It keeps me on track and focused but you cant get up set for gaining, instead you have to focus that emotion on getting even. :wink:
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I don't worry too much about daily increases because I know the scale is lying. Sometimes the scale will lie 3, 4, or even 5 days in a row. It never acknowledges that it's lying, nor does it apologize for lying. However, after telling 4 or 5 big lies in a row, it usually tries to make it up to me and tells me the truth of a 2 pound weight loss.

If I plot it all out on a graph (or take the easy route and use MFP's graphs), I find that over time the scale tells the truth more than it lies.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No! Weekly, because the daily changes are upsetting for you.
  • molarbear31
    Options
    Never weigh yourself every day. I'm a sucker for this too. I just can't help myself. But it won't help and won't show a proper picture of your weight loss. Try weighing yourself weekly instead. You may be carrying water weight or muscle weight. We're in this together, we must fight not to weigh ourselves every day!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    IMHO, whether you weigh daily, weekly, every 2 weeks or monthly, you still need to be aware of why fluctuations happen and come to terms with them. Water weight is the biggest reason - monthly hormonal cycle, excess sodium intake, other changes in diet and changes in exercise habits - to name the most common ones. For example - even if you only weigh once a month, say your weigh in is the day after you start your period and/or the day after snacking on salty peanuts and/or the day after a hard workout and you end up being the same weight as before or not losing as much as you expected. Obviously there's a good reason for it so nothing to be upset about.

Stop looking at your weight as a primary measure of success (also do body measurements, progress pics), and stop putting so much emotional value behind that number. And for heaven's sake - be patient! You didn't gain the weight overnight and it's sure as hell not going to come off overnight just because you stayed within your calories and worked out. That's just not the way it works.

I personally weigh myself every day. Hell, just this morning I was up almost 3 pounds because yesterday was leg day and I had pizza for dinner. And most of the time when I see that, I laugh/scoff at the scale because I know it's not a "true" weight.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. The scale is a tool for measurement, it's not a conclusion. In my opinion- it really shouldn't be an emotional experience. When I put on some weight (today I was up 1 lb) I look at yesterdays diary. I noticed that I was pretty high on the sodium (Chipotle, totally worth it) and I had 2 beers late last night. So to me, it was a helpful experience. If seeing normal, minor fluctuations is something that bothers or discourages you, a weekly weigh in might be better. Or use measuring tape instead.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym and burned 750 calories yesterday and did not go over my calorie limit for the day and when I weighed myself this morning I was 2 pounds heavier than yesterday. This is so discouraging. Should I continue to weigh myself everyday or maybe once a week? What do you guys do?
    Going by your reaction you shouldn't unless you can handle the daily fluctuations just stick to weekly weigh ins. I weigh everyday but the daily ups and downs don't really bother me I know the trend is downwards and thats what matters
  • JoesApple
    JoesApple Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just say no! haha. Seriously, though. I would weigh once a week. It becomes such an emotional roller coaster. The pounds coming off are important, but sometimes our body doesn't comply. You keep doing what you are doing, and be conscious of the fact that you are doing great, and getting healthy rather the scale says so or not! Like I said, the numbers going down are eventually important...but so are inches, and the health of your internal organs...as well as our emotional state.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself only once a week (but usually jump on some other mornings), but the number doesn't really bother me that much.

I weighed 1 pound more this morning than I did last Friday morning, but if I weigh in two days, I might be down 2 pounds. Don't sweat it....If you weigh weekly, look at a monthly trend. If you're losing a proper amount throughout the month, then you're okay!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates day to day, hour to hour, hell minute to minute. If you are weighing yourself daily you have to take it in stride. I personally like to weigh daily, but I only record when there is a new low. If you can not handle it try to do every other day or weekly.
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like weighing myself every day so I can see how my weight fluctuates. I can do this because I'm looking at my weight loss from week to week, and if I have a gain, I can usually pinpoint as to why and how it happened.