Question for the Mountain Bikers

Options
The_WoIverine
The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
Last night I went to youtube and looked up videos of people riding their mountain bikes at the park relatively close to were I live, since I'll have my spartan race this weekend there, and after seeing they have an awesome trail for mountain bikes, considering the fact Miami is flat and has no hills or mountains, I decided to get myself one.

Since I don't want to be spending several hundreds of dollars on a bike, but I want to get something relatively good, I know some of you here know way more than I do about MBs, therefore I'll ask for suggestions based on what I've found online.

By the way, I'm 5'11", and while there are different opinions online about what bicycle size is ideal for my height, I see most say a 29" is better?

In no specific order of preference, although the first one sounds tempting

Sorry for the large images, I couldn't find smaller ones

1- Gravity BaseCamp 2.0 (size 19)
$319.95 (shipping included)
basecamp2.0-02.jpg

2- Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men's Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike (26-Inch Wheels) This one based on the sizes of the other bikes seems that might be a little too short
$299.99 (qualifies for Amazon Prime free 2nd day shipping)
Schwinn-protocol-1.0-review.jpg

3- 2014 Dawes Haymaker 1000 (size 19)
$309.95 (shipping included)
277eebd68663d1156abbd4d441255667bca0bce0.jpg

4- 2014 Motobecane 450 HT (size 19.5 recommended for someone of my height)
$319.95 (shipping included in price)
51eWozi5MaL.jpg

5- NEW Gravity BaseCamp 1.0 (size 20)
$299.95 (shipping included)
For this one the image is too large, so you can see it here
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/images/basecamp1_mattered_xi_2100.jpg

Replies

• _LishLash_
    Options
    Def this bike.

244xg5v.jpg
  • The_WoIverine
    Options
    Def this bike.

You need a spanking :P
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Really good full suspension bikes can't be got for anything less than $1K so you might be better off finding a good hardtail (front suspension only).

I've ridden both and for a starter bike, the hardtail is a better investment. For your height, 29ers are better. Also, in my experience in Northern Californai where the downhills can be terrifyingly fast, it's best to have really thick, knobby tires. It makes it a little harder to turn but you'll really want that stability when you're barrelling down a gravel laden fire road at 40 mph.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    It is not going to be what you want to hear but you are better off spending more money up front or you will end up just spending a ton of money on repairs because mountain bike DO break and the cheaper the bike the cheaper the components. Also, go to a local bike shop and talk to someone that knows what they are doing. DO NOT buy a bike from a big box store; they don't stand behind what they sell.

Other than that, given the trails you are riding in Miami I would say hardtail would be fine. You will be able to get more bang for your buck than if you look at full suspension. If you want any more info PM me
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It is not going to be what you want to hear but you are better off spending more money up front or you will end up just spending a ton of money on repairs because mountain bike DO break and the cheaper the bike the cheaper the components. Also, go to a local bike shop and talk to someone that knows what they are doing. DO NOT buy a bike from a big box store; they don't stand behind what they sell.

Other than that, given the trails you are riding in Miami I would say hardtail would be fine. You will be able to get more bang for your buck than if you look at full suspension. If you want any more info PM me

Yeah, go to a bike shop. You can probably get a hard-tail for $700ish that will last about 3 times as long as a $300 one. I'd look for brands like Trek, Scott, Marin or Cannondale. They are good manufacturers that make lower end bikes as well (and yes, $700 is lower end). I know a lot of people get sticker shock when they first look at decent bikes, but you really do get what you pay for. You could also think about buying used. 29" wheels would be good for you but I hear there are actually a lot of great deals to be had on 26" these days since they aren't as trendy.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Best to spend the money at the bike shop than the emergency room when the bike breaks. Just sayin.
  • brucewenzel
    Options
    Look for a used one

pinkbike.com
    mtbr.com
    craigslist

You can get one that someone thought they would use and did not for way less then retail. I agree with other you should be lookiing at a hardtail and I would go with a 29er
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bike shop. It's not just the quality. You don't seem to have the technical knowledge (we were all beginners!) to tune it up. Most reasonable bike shops include tune-ups with a bike sale.

For that budget, seriously go with a hardtail. The shocks in cheap bikes are hideous. They bob, they rob you of energy climbing, and they don't even take hits that well.

And finally - consider a used bike sold by/through a bike shop. I used to work at one (and still am a volunteer and club rider) and they always have "something' that is available. Someone always wants to buy a new bike - get his/her old machine!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My husband and I ride weekly - and hard. We got the Gravity and Motobecane bikes cheap online and have had no problems - and I punish my bike on each ride. The hubs added seat suspension on mine for smoother rides. So far so good with ours!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Actually, now I feel bad about being a bike snob. For the ones you have listed I'd go with the Motobacane (but the picture is a Diamond Back).
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Look for a used one

pinkbike.com
    mtbr.com
    craigslist

You can get one that someone thought they would use and did not for way less then retail. I agree with other you should be lookiing at a hardtail and I would go with a 29er

I got both my hardtail and full suspension used about 6 years ago from pinkbike and mtbr.com. The bikes are in top notch condition for half the price had I paid full. Read the forums for tips and reviews on the bikes. It'll give you an idea of what will fit you best.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options

I got both my hardtail and full suspension used about 6 years ago from pinkbike and mtbr.com. The bikes are in top notch condition for half the price had *I purchased new. Read the forums for tips and reviews on the bikes. It'll give you an idea of what will fit you best.

had to edit my earlier post...
    :smile:
  • The_WoIverine
    Options
    Oh wow, last time I checked no one bad replied. Thanks so much for the replies, explanations and suggestions. I will have to take all of these into consideration before I buy anything.