Pregnancy on mfp

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
2 friends left because the software didn't allow for extra calories for pregnancy. I hope mfp will be able to accommodate this in the future.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that MFP wouldn't want to get into the liability of restricting the calories of pregnant women. Not to mention, you can easily rig the MFP settings to land at whatever calorie setting you choose, so I don't see what the big deal is.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Or the user could accomodate it....? Common sense goes a long way sometimes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They can't just adjust on their own for what they want to eat?

Dead of common sense it seems.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They can't just adjust on their own for what they want to eat?

Death of common sense it seems- it scares me that these people are procreating.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to eat any extra calories while pregnant anyways. It's when you're breastfeeding that you're eating for two.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your information about not needing any extra calories during pregnancy? Because that isn't accurate. While you are eating for two, that doesn't mean that you can double your calories of course, but you still need to eat extra, especially in the second and third trimester to support healthy growth of the baby.

That being said, MFP has a setting that allows for weight gain. While you should gain probably around 5 pounds or less that 1st trimester due to the baby being so small and not needing as much from you. You will up that to needing to gain about .5 pound a week and then a pound a week headed into the third trimester. Most doctors recommend a 25-35 pound weight gain for women of a healthy weight at the time of pregnancy. Which you can do on MFP. And again, you can set it to fit your needs. What they give you are suggestions, it is certainly changeable based on needs.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your information about not needing any extra calories during pregnancy? Because that isn't accurate. While you are eating for two, that doesn't mean that you can double your calories of course, but you still need to eat extra, especially in the second and third trimester to support healthy growth of the baby.

That being said, MFP has a setting that allows for weight gain. While you should gain probably around 5 pounds or less that 1st trimester due to the baby being so small and not needing as much from you. You will up that to needing to gain about .5 pound a week and then a pound a week headed into the third trimester. Most doctors recommend a 25-35 pound weight gain for women of a healthy weight at the time of pregnancy. Which you can do on MFP. And again, you can set it to fit your needs. What they give you are suggestions, it is certainly changeable based on needs.

Most doctors these days only suggest weight gain if the individual is starting at a normal weight. My sister was overweight, by about 30 lbs when she got pregnant and her doctor said that as long as she didn't try to lose weight, she would be fine remaining at her current weight without gaining. She lost weight during her first trimester due to severe morning sickness (all day sickness in her case) but even then the doctor wasn't concerned. The morning sickness passed, she wound up gaining the lost weight back but not anymore. Healthy baby was a result.