are chicken fajitas from a Mexican restaurant healthy?

I go out once a week and I go to this Mexican restaurant. The only thing I can think of that is healthy is their fajitas. I get it with no cheese, no rice or beans, no guac and I eat it with two corn tortillas and salsa. I also do not eat any chips. What do you think? Its a hole in the wall so they have no listed nutrition =(

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    that's my go to- I assume it's several hundred calories but the big kicker with those is- it's way to easy to over eat.

I ball park somewhere between 700-900 for it and just go on about my day- and try not to over eat- since I ALWAYS roll out of there stuffed to the gills LOL

edit: I pick a chain listed entry to add so I have SOMETHING- and I just ball park the actual serving size or numbers based on what it looked like as far as grease content and crap I put on there.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    No Guac?! :sad:

But yep - fajitas are usually one of the best choices, especially with the corn tortillas. I'd have some black beans for added fiber though if they have them (and the guac!!)
  • Nathalia2009
    Nathalia2009 Posts: 75 Member
    Thank s!
    that's my go to- I assume it's several hundred calories but the big kicker with those is- it's way to easy to over eat.

I ball park somewhere between 700-900 for it and just go on about my day- and try not to over eat- since I ALWAYS roll out of there stuffed to the gills LOL

edit: I pick a chain listed entry to add so I have SOMETHING- and I just ball park the actual serving size or numbers based on what it looked like as far as grease content and crap I put on there.
  • Nathalia2009

But yep - fajitas are usually one of the best choices, especially with the corn tortillas. I'd have some black beans for added fiber though if they have them (and the guac!!)

dont worry..I am crying with you !!! But they do not have any healthy guac! lol
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If you're just looking for lean protein and low calories, chicken fajitas are probably the best option.

Nothing wrong with beans, rice, guac, etc. though.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member

Avocados arn't nutritious?

:frown:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member

What in the world could possibly be unhealthy about guacamole?

Rigger
  • Nathalia2009
    Its just the way this place makes theres. There is a bunch of cream cheese in it.

What in the world could possibly be unhealthy about guacamole?

Rigger
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Guacamole is an essential part of life... never say no to guacamole.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    I eat fajitas about once a week. I go to a "hole in the wall", as well, but use the closest thing I can find on MFP. Mexican food is absolutely one of my favorite things. I switched from eating chicken fajita nachos weekly to just fajitas, generally only with on tortilla, if any.

Enjoy it! As far as restaurant food goes, it's not a bad choice.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I always have the chicken fajitas at our fav Mexican restaurant. It is just a little hole in the wall too, but great authentic Mexican food. Absolutely the best fajitas ever, and the best salsa. I wish they would give out the recipe.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Its just the way this place makes theres. There is a bunch of cream cheese in it.

I love guacamole. That sounds nasty and is not guacamole. More like an avocado dip.
    Aren't there are other Mexican restaurants around you?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I go out once a week and I go to this Mexican restaurant. The only thing I can think of that is healthy is their fajitas. I get it with no cheese, no rice or beans, no guac and I eat it with two corn tortillas and salsa. I also do not eat any chips. What do you think? Its a hole in the wall so they have no listed nutrition =(

those sound pretty boring ..

I say eat the fajitas, eat less for breakfast and dinner, and make room for them in your day...
  • Dregg
    Dregg Posts: 66 Member
    I like to order the fajitas and eat them without the wraps. Delicious!! I have a bad habit of eating a few chips though when I go, love chips and salsa.
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 141 Member
    I eat the fajitas, guac beans, rice, chips and salsa. Just work it into your day and enjoy.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Not particularly.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Healthy is subjective. Do you mean low calorie?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member

Your fajitas sound like basic street tacos. Which I enjoy. But still - you're more or less paying for fajitas and eating tacos (I guess your tortillas aren't fried / grilled, though).
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I eat the fajitas, guac beans, rice, chips and salsa. Just work it into your day and enjoy.

Bingo. I go crazy with the chips and salsa, but I usually only eat about a 1/3 of the actual plate. Take the rest home for lunch the next day!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

I think it depends on the restaurant and how they prepare their meat. If the owners are mexican you can ask for the meat to be " asada " or " a la plancha " or generally " sin grasa " ( it means that the meat is prepared on a griddle, or a comal without any fat ).
    That should cut down on the calories. I have no idea how fajitas are prepared, since they are not really Mexican food, but are starting to be known as " Tex-Mex " here.
    In general I don't quite understand why people are so fearful of Mexican food ( apart of course from the US portion size ). I live in Mexico City and eat mexican food each and every day and have lost 50 pounds over the last year. If you look at the pictures in my profile page you see one of a green plate with rice, beans and fajita veggies without the meat....total 340 calories. All the other pictures of food are also Mexican and the kind that fits easily into my 1200 calories a day regimen ( 1200 because I am older and under 5 feet tall ) but what you will discover is that we don't eat cheese and cream on everything...that's more of a Tex-Mex thing...and if there is cheese sprinkled on something it's usually a white farmers cheese and not the high fat stuff that passes as " mexican " cheese in the US. You could always ask if they have " queso blanco " ( farmer's cheese) or queso cotija " or " panela "
    It's a good thing you eat corn tortillas. At around 50-55 calories they are a powerhouse of good nutrition....unlike flour tortillas, which are a waste of good calories.
    I would say if the Fajitas are not made with too much fat they should from what I gather just be meat, onion and peppers, which are healthy and low cal and you can add beans ( frijoles de olla....plain cooked beans are full of protein and not that high in calories) and rice....with " arroz blanco " ( white rice ) being the one with the least calories due to it's preparation.