Nutrient Dense Foods I can buy in bulk!

Options
SugaryLynx
SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
...because my husband just had a heart to heart conversation with me about how my bulk is starting to chip away at our spending monies... lol. So, I'm thinking like rice, frozen fruit, beans, etc. Anything else I'm not thinking of? Thankfully, it's getting warmer and farmer's markets will be opening but I spend a good chunk of our cash on clementine oranges, bananas, apples, frozen fruit, carrots, lettuce, Greek yogurt, tomatoes... watermelon might last a day with me. Okay, and Talenti...but I can massive cut back on that lol. Not a big fan of potatoes.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Oats/Oatmeal, cottage cheese, eggs, nuts, whole milk…yep, I'm googling.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Oh! I suppose I could've done that *sheepish grin*

Thank you!♡
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a cheap bulking food
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, quinoa, greek yoghurt, goji, peanut butter, pasta's, nuts

Although I would avoid dairy and whole grains; your body can't digest them properly. Especially bread is bad, pasta is OK-ish.
    Oatmeal on the other hand is great!
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Granola
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Ooooh, perfect. My spoon shall get to know some sweet, sweet peanut butter
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Ooooh, perfect. My spoon shall get to know some sweet, sweet peanut butter

Yes! I may have to keep an eye on this thread to see what foods people come up with.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Do you shop at Costco? 10 pounds of oats for $8. I use them to make granola bars. Greek yogurt is a good price there as well. I can't remember how much, but I am a discount type shopper.

Cheese?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Watch for managers specials on meats? Omg the $2 packs of chicken thighs. I grabbed a bunch of those and hauled tail out of the grocery store like I stole something
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Do you shop at Costco? 10 pounds of oats for $8. I use them to make granola bars. Greek yogurt is a good price there as well. I can't remember how much, but I am a discount type shopper.

Cheese?

We shop at Walmart/Kroger. Costco here I think is a good 45 minute drive. I do love oats! I'm not very thrifty, our bill lately goes to as much as $180, so I need to be! We have 4 people but one of which is still drinking formula. Urgh.

The manager's specials thing is a good idea. Most things I buy like that are either done in a day or put in the freezer ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ...because my husband just had a heart to heart conversation with me about how my bulk is starting to chip away at our spending monies... lol. So, I'm thinking like rice, frozen fruit, beans, etc. Anything else I'm not thinking of? Thankfully, it's getting warmer and farmer's markets will be opening but I spend a good chunk of our cash on clementine oranges, bananas, apples, frozen fruit, carrots, lettuce, Greek yogurt, tomatoes... watermelon might last a day with me. Okay, and Talenti...but I can massive cut back on that lol. Not a big fan of potatoes.
    You have gotten excellent advice already, just wanted to say that fruit is delicious and healthy, but you don't really need more than... I don't know, I go for three servings a day, size varying quite a lot. Your body can only use a set amount of nutrients, the rest goes right into the toilet... except the calories, that go to your hips :tongue:

But this
    Although I would avoid dairy and whole grains; your body can't digest them properly. Especially bread is bad, pasta is OK-ish.
    makes me go :huh:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Watch for managers specials on meats? Omg the $2 packs of chicken thighs. I grabbed a bunch of those and hauled tail out of the grocery store like I stole something

LOL I've done that before. I almost felt guilty.