I have an unhealthy relationship with food

Options
I need advice on how to break up with something that I can't just fully turn away from. I've been in some bad relationships but this is the hardest thing ever. Any other addictive substance can be quit and it isn't needed for survival, can't really do that with food...

I know it comes down to my will power and way of thinking, but advice on how you break the habits you leaned on for so long would be great.

How do I change my view of food to it being a source of fuel and not an entity in my life?

Replies

• tazbear1989
    tazbear1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would find an eating disorder counselor in your area or overeater's anonymous because there is much more to it than will power and way of thinking. It is an addiction and has to be treated as such.

Good luck and I hope you can find your path to recovery.
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your right. You just can't stop eating totally. Its all about choices. What and how much you eat you do have control over. Our bodies are designed to store fat to get us through the lean times. In ancient times when we found a rich source of food we ate. Eat all you can there might not be any food tomorrow. Now we always have food. But we still eat like there will be a famine tomorrow. This site has really helped me by making me more aware of my eating habits. Willpower, good choices, exercise and yes you will be hungry.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I agree with tazbear1989. Please seek out some professional support. It's not the food that's the problem, it's the reasons you turn to it that are--the "why" behind those habits that you want to change. When you have the help you need in addressing the underlying causes of your relationship to food and those begin to heal, your relationship with food will shift.

You've made the brave first step--naming the problem and looking for a solution! Keep moving forward, you can do this! :)
  • KatherineLynnKane
    KatherineLynnKane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are correct. Unlike alcohol or cigarettes, you cannot avoid food. You HAVE to eat.
    Read some addiction literature and think about your issues. Counselling may help you understand your behaviour.
    Many women struggle to take care of others first and feel guilty or selfish when they focus on themselves.

I too have a dangerously unhealthy relationship with food which started in early childhood.
    Good behaviour was rewarded with treats, bad behaviour was punished by no dessert.---or worse, no supper !
    And no one ever offered me an apple when I came home from school crying. I learned to find comfort in food.
    As an adult I started to use food to stifle my negative emotions. Whatever the problem; food was the feel-good solution.
    Understanding and admitting your problems is the first step of recovery.
    I think you've already made some progress by joining this website.

Personally, I don't have much faith in willpower. If there are cookies in the pantry I will eat them....ALL of them.
    Therefore I don't purchase unhealthy snacks at the grocery store.
    (I don't believe that I am depriving my family of anything--except childhood obesity or early signs of diabetes.)
    If I have a craving I can purchase a single cookie or ice cream cone.
    Habits aren't broken---they're replaced with healthier options. You can still have a snack at 3 o'clock each day.

Your love affair with food isn't over. Once you introduce yourself to new foods you'll begin to enjoy and appreciate them.
    Your palate will change and you may discover that those foods you once craved now taste terrible and upset your stomach.
    .I'll always be addicted to food....I know that....but being addicted to yogurt and frozen grapes is manageable.