Any unique uses for foul-tasting protein powder?

Options
So for the past two years I was on a protein powder kick, and bought canister after canister of brands I wanted to try out. I lived in a foreign country, so there was no way I could taste test any of them beforehand. I was just gonna have to hope that 1) they're palatable and 2) I don't get sick of pp. Well, two years later, not only am I predictably tired of drinking the shakes, but my brand preferences are set in stone. This means I have about 5 nearly full 1-2lb canisters of chalky, disgusting pp that I WILL NOT CONSUME UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Like, the containers might as well be filled with lots and lots of pure NOPE.

Since there's no such thing as refunds or exchanges in the country I live in, I was wondering if I could possibly use these for ANYTHING else. ANY other use than food. Maybe a bean bag?? A pillow?? Any wacky suggestions are welcome! Arts-and-crafts, humidity absorbing-thingamajig, the sky's the limit!

Replies

• bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Protein Muffin

6 scoops of protein powder (vanilla pref)
    2 cup ground nuts (mix up between 1 cup almonds, 1 cup walnuts or cashews etc)
    .3 cup natural peanut butter (smooth pref but crunchy ok- if no PB use another ground nut)
    .3 cup dried fruit (cranberries/chopped dates etc)
    .3 cup ground linseeds
    4-6 eggs

Bake medium oven for around 20 minutes

Add a few drops of vanilla essence if you really need to mask bad taste. I make up a batch of whatever I have to hand when I need to use up nuts and eggs or egg whites so I don't have exact caloric details, just enter them into the recipe section here in MPF and it will work it out for you.

Here is list of favorite protein muffins from another Poster:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/898958-protein-bars-homemade
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I put it in my coffe. Can't really taste it then.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've used protein powder as coffee creamer as well... You can usually cover up the flavor by mixing it in with fruit smoothies as well. I know some people use protein powder in cookies, cakes and pancakes... As for non-food ideas... Well, I don't have any.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Sell them with exercise videos and offer to "coach" the poor saps, e'hm "customers?"
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    compost
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Straight in the trash it goes.
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll do the coffee, the muffins, and possibly make a crazy cushion out of pp, then throw out the rest. Haha the darned containers are staring at me now...
  • sswanl
    sswanl Posts: 30
    Options
    If you have animals, the protein is likely suitable for use in their food as added protein. In particular I am thinking about something like backyard chickens, who have better quality eggs and will put on more meat when given protein supplement. (although human protein powder would be pretty novel way to add protein.)
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Mix it up with milk and cacao powder. Delicious chocolate milk.
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I will definitely look into that! I have a beautiful Russian blue who might need the protein. Not that I'm saying she's flabby or anything.. oh I hope she doesn't get hurt.
    If you have animals, the protein is likely suitable for use in their food as added protein. In particular I am thinking about something like backyard chickens, who have better quality eggs and will put on more meat when given protein supplement. (although human protein powder would be pretty novel way to add protein.)
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    The thing is, it's so incredibly chalky and gritty that I automatically recoil when it nears my oral orifice.
    Mix it up with milk and cacao powder. Delicious chocolate milk.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could use it as a skin care thing?
    I just read somewhere about homemade face masks, and one of the things they suggested was putting eggwhites on the face, because the protein in it was supposed to be good for the skin.

Now I wouldn't wan't to have a raw egg all over my face... But maybe mixing the protein powder with water would have a similar effect?
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mix it with chocolate milk!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    send it to me, lol... i drink mine to fast to taste it so that dont matter, lol.
  • bigbadbubz
    Options
    mix 1 scoop with fage 0% fat greek yogurt..for a protein packed smoothie!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    . . .This means I have about 5 nearly full 1-2lb canisters of chalky, disgusting pp that I WILL NOT CONSUME UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Like, the containers might as well be filled with lots and lots of pure NOPE.

Since there's no such thing as refunds or exchanges in the country I live in, I was wondering if I could possibly use these for ANYTHING else. ANY other use than food. Maybe a bean bag?? A pillow?? Any wacky suggestions are welcome! Arts-and-crafts, humidity absorbing-thingamajig, the sky's the limit!

HAHA! I have bought canisters of DISGUSTING protein powder before too. BLECH! Some of it just makes one want to barf!

Do you have a dog?? If there is nothing in the protein powder that's toxic to dogs, perhaps you could bake the stuff into some kind of dog treat concoction? Or do you know anyone who has chickens? You could give it to them and they could create treats for the chickens to eat from it. . .

I totally get the desire to NEVER taste it again. The last packet of a protein powder I tried was this type of vile, chalky, stevia-loaded, weird-tasting crap. . . I put it in a smoothie without seeing what the powder tasted like and unfortunately the smoothie was inedible.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I will definitely look into that! I have a beautiful Russian blue who might need the protein. Not that I'm saying she's flabby or anything.. oh I hope she doesn't get hurt.

Aha, I see someone already thought of chicken treats. :)
  • janjanorama
    janjanorama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have one tub of a pretty rank tasting, natural flavour pp, I mix half a scoop of it in with a strawberry one that I like and its fine. The strawberry one masks the flavour, and the Natural flavour crap actually neutralises the sweetness of the strawberry (it can sometimes be a bit sicky sweet in the morning.)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I remember buying one particularly horrendous one (Holland and Barrett soy protein 'delicious chocolate' - ha!!) and absolutely nothing I mixed it with helped. I tried everything and it was still awful. I know exactly what you mean...I nearly reported them under the Trade Descriptions Act!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Super gritty and chalky? Maybe you can mix it with some paint and make yourself a chalkboard :laugh: