Running out of breath

Options
KahuNZ
KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
I have been running for about 2 years. I usually run on a treadmill and find I can run for over 60mins without getting out of breath. When I run outside on the pavement I find it very tough and after 2 - 3 kms I need to stop for a minute or two to get my breath back. I run 2-4 times a week generally. My question is how can I improve? I am nearly 53yrs and don't want to run longer than 10km events but would like to run them non -stop. I don't like running fast...just jogging along.
I don't suffer from any injury or muscle fatigue, just run out of puff!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 2 years. I usually run on a treadmill and find I can run for over 60mins without getting out of breath. When I run outside on the pavement I find it very tough and after 2 - 3 kms I need to stop for a minute or two to get my breath back. I run 2-4 times a week generally. My question is how can I improve? I am nearly 53yrs and don't want to run longer than 10km events but would like to run them non -stop. I don't like running fast...just jogging along.
    I don't suffer from any injury or muscle fatigue, just run out of puff!

Run outside. And slow down. I know you say you run slow, but run slower if you have to.

There are lots of Bridge to 10k plans that can help you with this.
    Most start at intervals of running 10 minutes/walking 1. If you can do 2-3 k, you can probably start here. If not modify it to run shorter time intervals at first and increase each week.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    running on a treadmill is different from running outside. the treadmill has a motor and moves the ground for you. when you run outside you have to move yourself.

so when you run outside take it slow and build from there. speed will come in time. work on your breathing while running. good luck with your training.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    A treadmill kind of forces your forward and at a constant pace... outside has changes in elevation, wind, and you have to propel yourself forward. Improve by running outside more than the treadmill. Throw in sprint intervals for increased speed/endurance (towards the end and only like 30 seconds at a time will help). And just give it time, slow down if you have to, but don't be afraid to push yourself!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Slow down
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I did the C25K and the B210K. I have run a few 10km events, some non-stop but this year I just can't seem to do it!....maybe just getting older is the reason.
    I can't run much slower than I do really otherwise it would just be a fast walk.
    As most say I probably just have to run outside more often to get better. Its just that I tell myself its better to run than not, then choose the treadmill!
  • OliverEvieAmelia
    OliverEvieAmelia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have found running on the treadmill is easier for keeping pace, I can see the display and know what speed I am running at. Outside running is different for me as I have know way of knowing what speed I am running at, a few times I have got out of breath and realised I must be running at a faster pace. Actually my first 8k run outdoors I did in a much quicker time than the treadmill so I had obviously been running at a faster pace without realising. I have a polar ft4 HRM but my husband has a garmin gps watch which gives him a bit more info about his pace etc throughout the run. So basically, in a long-winded way of saying it, you may just need to slow down and recover, you can always pick up the pace again once you get your breath back. :)
  • cheekyhalf
    cheekyhalf Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    May sound odd but have you been checked for hayfever / asthma - you can have asthma without an obvious wheeze and which can be late on-set - I know people not diagnosed until into their 50s. May be worth checking just in case and doing lung function tests if it's happening when outside but not in the gym.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    I have found running on the treadmill is easier for keeping pace, I can see the display and know what speed I am running at. Outside running is different for me as I have know way of knowing what speed I am running at, a few times I have got out of breath and realised I must be running at a faster pace. Actually my first 8k run outdoors I did in a much quicker time than the treadmill so I had obviously been running at a faster pace without realising. I have a polar ft4 HRM but my husband has a garmin gps watch which gives him a bit more info about his pace etc throughout the run. So basically, in a long-winded way of saying it, you may just need to slow down and recover, you can always pick up the pace again once you get your breath back. :)
    Thanks - I do have a GPS watch so I know my pace outside which is about 1/2 a minute or more slower than the treadmill.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I did the C25K and the B210K. I have run a few 10km events, some non-stop but this year I just can't seem to do it!....maybe just getting older is the reason.
    I can't run much slower than I do really otherwise it would just be a fast walk.
    As most say I probably just have to run outside more often to get better. Its just that I tell myself its better to run than not, then choose the treadmill!

My thoughts

As above running is easier on a treadmill and

1) Have you lost weight since last year? Are you eating anything different to last year?
    The reason I ask is that if you were heavier last year although in theory that makes running harder it might also mean your body had more fuel to burn. And equally if you were eating the same but heavier or if you are eating different now.

2) There have been issues in the UK recently with exceptionally poor air quality could it be related to this? The poster who mentioned asthma and allergies also makes a good point - worth getting checked

3) Do you only run? It may be worth building in some strength work for your legs, stronger muscles are more efficient - think of the olympian sprinters, those legs are not just built from running, they are going to be doing some serious weight training too.

Conclusion
    You may need to shake up your diet. You may need to consider air quality, pollution and your own lung function. Maybe instead fo running on the treadmill you could do some weight training or bodyweight stuff to your routine.
  • massoia
    massoia Posts: 19
    Options
    May sound odd but have you been checked for hayfever / asthma - you can have asthma without an obvious wheeze and which can be late on-set - I know people not diagnosed until into their 50s. May be worth checking just in case and doing lung function tests if it's happening when outside but not in the gym.

I wondered about this when I read the original post. My doctor told me I had some kind of mild asthma when I was about 13. I've never had an asthma attack but found that in cold, damp weather outdoor PE classes would leave me unusually breathless. I'd be fine in drier/milder weather. I still find that if I'm out in cold, damp weather I get breathless really easily. When I used to jog a lot I dreaded the arrival of winter because I knew I'd either have to slow down a lot or take to the treadmill instead!