Squat baby, squat!

Options
I love squats! I used to follow Stronglifts 5x5 (which is a great and easy plan to follow http://stronglifts.com/5x5/) until I injured my back last year in a horrible Deadlift incident. (Didn't stick to form, did something stupid and eff'd up my lower back)

Last night at the gym I got back on the squats and man, it felt so good. There is nothing like a strong, deep squat. I even overheard one of the trainers talking to his client about my beautiful squatting. :) I managed to get up to a few sets with 185lbs. Which is a lot of weight if you are doing them right! Nothing makes my heart pound and head sweat like squatting.

If you have not tried squatting then I highly recommend it. It makes you feel like a beast. And remember: A squat is like a kiss. If it isn't deep then it means nothing! :)

Replies

• drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, man!

Nothing like a squat to give you that burn, mainly in your legs but you feel it everywhere. I messed up my knee a bit squatting too heavy with wrong form in my college days so now I focus mainly on perfect form rather than heavy weight. I mean when am I ever going to have to squat 400 pounds in real life? Now squatting with something on my back for long periods of time or many times is more functional so I work toward endurance now.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    ummm awkward
  • Deadlifter874
    Deadlifter874 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like squat but the deadlift is king :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I can't do a squat. :cry:
  • canadafats
    Options
    I know what you mean, man!

Nothing like a squat to give you that burn, mainly in your legs but you feel it everywhere. I messed up my knee a bit squatting too heavy with wrong form in my college days so now I focus mainly on perfect form rather than heavy weight. I mean when am I ever going to have to squat 400 pounds in real life? Now squatting with something on my back for long periods of time or many times is more functional so I work toward endurance now.
    That's what I love about the 5x5 program. You start with light weights and work your way up. Great way to work on your form while increasing your weight in stages.
  • canadafats
    Options
    ummm awkward
    ummm ok?
  • canadafats
    Options
    Deadlift is really great but I'm so hesitant to try it again after my injury. I'll have to start with very low weight and work on my form.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Great post! I just joined a new gym so I can start the Stronglifts 5x5....my first personal training appointment is next week. Can't wait!

I don't want to screw up my back so I'm working with a trainer.
  • canadafats
    Options
    Yes you can! Check out the Stronglifts 5x5 website. It gives amazing tips and has videos showing what your form should look like. Nerd Fitness is great too!
  • canadafats
    Options
    Great post! I just joined a new gym so I can start the Stronglifts 5x5....my first personal training appointment is next week. Can't wait!

I don't want to screw up my back so I'm working with a trainer.
    Awesome! Many trainers try to get you stuck on the machines. There is a time and place for machines but to really gain strength free weights are your friend. Good luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! Check out the Stronglifts 5x5 website. It gives amazing tips and has videos showing what your form should look like. Nerd Fitness is great too!

No, I really cannot. I know what my form should look like, I physically can't get into a squat. I can do a partial squat and get down a few inches, that's it. Any further and my knees go forward or I fall backwards. Highly entertaining for those around me but not exactly something you want to do while holding heavy things.
  • Deadlifter874
    Options
    Deadlift is really great but I'm so hesitant to try it again after my injury. I'll have to start with very low weight and work on my form.

Get a belt if you don't already, a proper powerlifting one not those flimsy leather ones. It really helps keep your lower back position
  • Deadlifter874
    Options

No, I really cannot. I know what my form should look like, I physically can't get into a squat. I can do a partial squat and get down a few inches, that's it. Any further and my knees go forward or I fall backwards. Highly entertaining for those around me but not exactly something you want to do while holding heavy things.

Start off doing bodyweight squats, then start holding light dumbells untill you can use the olympic bar which is 20kg, then go from there, you can do it! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Do you use the toilet? or go on the ground?

because if you do- then you squat. You just need more practice.