Crazy weight fluctuation

Options
Is it normal for your weight to fluctuate a lot? i've noticed that i gain about 10lbsinstantly. . I'm not even exaggerating! One day my size 7 jeans will fit loosely and i'm able to see the definition in my arms,stomach, and thighs and then the next morning those same size 7 jeans won't even go up my mid-thighs,my size 9 jeans fight extra tight, and then i notice that my thighs are sticking together and look rounded /flabby and what little toning and definition that i had is gone.

right now i'm 5'7 and this whole month i've been fluctuating between 159 and 153. (this was from weighing myself in the morning before eating anything) Do I just have a really bad water weight problem or am i really gaining that much fat? It's so frustrating for my body to be so inconsistent. i'm 23 years old and this has been going on since i began puberty. i am never the same weight the whole year. in high school i was 150lbs for 6 months then went down to 130lbs for another 6 months and it goes in a cycle.

Before anyone says anything about drinking more water, water is ALL I drink. For the last 5 or 6 years the only thing i drink is water (and most recently green tea with matcha).

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't think 6 lbs is a crazy weight fluctuation. I wouldn't worry about what you were in high school. Do you log your food?
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    That fluctuation sounds totally normal to me.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, 5' 7" and I've fluctuated between 153-157 since January of this year, with the exception of a couple of weeks after a stomach bug that I went below that. I'm happy there. (after four kids, my jeans are a size 10; my hips will never be a 9 again.) The point is these are normal fluctuations and you shouldn't worry about it. I will tell you that I have less of them in my 40's than I had in my 20's, but I have to work harder to keep at my GW as well. I really can't eat 2000+ calories more than once or twice a month unless I work it off the same day on a long hike.

Hang in there and enjoy your youth...fluctuations and all.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    As long as you still fluctuate down as well, it's not crazy at all. (You only mention getting bigger/clothes getting tighter.)
  • davecando
    davecando Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i once lost 9lbs overnight no one beleives me about it !! i often lose 5lb from going to bed to getting up weird but true , i can also can add 5lb from one morning to the next with a bad food day , nothing to worry about i dont think
    in fact i got got weighed friday morning had a small coffee went to gym 40 minutes workout non stop sweated loads had water and a small protein shake when done got weighed again 6lb on !
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I did that (well, 5-8 pounds) when I was in my teens and twenties. I don't any more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i've been fluctuating between 159 and 153.

That's called maintaining....weight isn't static.

I fluctuate between 181 - 186 generally with my 11 month average being 183.

Also, in high school you were a girl...you are no longer a girl...so stop trying to compare yourself to what your were in high school. When you develop into a women you put on weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates depending on what I've eaten. And other factors beyond my control. Can you look into your diary and try to see a trend, for example, if you've eaten French fries with salt one day, will your weight fluctuate the next day? I look into my diary and can usually see what caused the fluctuations. But either way, it's normal and sometimes it's just female monthly issues so we can't control that anyway :-)
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    OP: 6 pounds is around 3% for you, so it seems like you are talking +/- 1.5% around some nominal value. Definitely no big deal . . .
  • achanel1
    achanel1 Posts: 5
    Options
    i've been fluctuating between 159 and 153.

That's called maintaining....weight isn't static.

I fluctuate between 181 - 186 generally with my 11 month average being 183.

Also, in high school you were a girl...you are no longer a girl...so stop trying to compare yourself to what your were in high school. When you develop into a women you put on weight.

I was just explaining the way the weight cycle works for me. this happened from age 15- age 20 when i got on birth control. after birth control i gained 30lbs and then the clothes not fitting overnight thing started happening.
  • achanel1
    achanel1 Posts: 5
    Options
    So it's normal for none of my pants to fit me the day after they had just fit me loosely?
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you are retaining water, you might find that your clothes fit differently.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So it's normal for none of my pants to fit me the day after they had just fit me loosely?
    it's water retention.
    ...or poop.