Finding success and a new me..

Options
I started my weight loss journey July 17th. I weighed 389lbs at the time. I was border line diabetic and on hypertension meds. Every time I went to the doctor I was getting my medicine increased. Being obese was killing me. We went on a family camping trip and when i saw how I looked in the photos I couldnt stand it anymore and had to make a change. I had two choices.. I could get bariatric surgery or I could do it the old fashioned way. I was very tempted by the surgery because our insurance would pay for it in full and I certainly qualified. But I wanted to really try to do it on my own first. I did research and found many folks that had done it without surgery. There are lots of awesome transformation videos on youtube. I wanted to find that kind of success! I currently do carb cycling, intermittent fasting, and strength training as my primary tools. I also do some cardio but mainly focus on the weights. Im down to 293 now and have 68 to go to reach my goal weight of 225. Ive never felt better in my life! You can follow my progress on my Facebook page "Changing my life one pound at a time"

Replies

• booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success and your new vitality. You've given yourself a new life as well and this will impact everyone in your family in a positive way. Like you, I also thought bariatric surgery might be my only hope, but it just didn't work out that way, and I have learned that if I can lose weight, anyone can. Let's keep going!
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    Im still on the BP meds but the blood pressure is improving. Hopefully in a few months I can get the doses lowered a lot or get off of them completely. I just want to be as healthy as possible.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Im still on the BP meds but the blood pressure is improving. Hopefully in a few months I can get the doses lowered a lot or get off of them completely.

Good luck with that. GP's here are very reluctant to reduce medication for BP once you are on them. Something to do with the hardening of the vein wall or something. I must research it when I get time. :smile:
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Proud of you for choosing the "old fashioned way" to loose weight. As a medical professional, Ive seen so many people re-gain the weight because they didn't learn portion control and eating right. I'm not a fan of "dieting" , I choose to eat good healthy foods but do have occasional sweets, etc. It's all about moderation. You have the right mind set to reach your goal and then maintain. Excited for you as you continue your journey.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Good on you for not going down the easier route!

:flowerforyou:
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    Wow! You are an inspiration. Continued success on your journey.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As my family comments on the change in body shape they all keep asking me about this fabulous new diet I must be on. I reply to all and sundry...replace one four letter word "diet" with another " life" add "style" and there you have it. Easy. Change your life from excess to moderation. Halve salt intake, increase fibre, keep processed foods to a minimum and let your dog walk you every day. No not easy. Physically tough but also mentally tough. You have to be in the right frame of mind. For some its a religious experience that sets them on the right track. For me it was a health scare: "Knock knock...yes who is there...its your body moran, stop abusing me!!"
  • danibarger
    Options
    Good job!!!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well done! You are in the home stretch now. You look so happy!
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    I am very happy! I feel like a new person! And you know it is the simple things that I appreciate the most. Being able to fit into a booth at a restaurant, riding a roller coaster, walking up stairs without feeling like Im dying. And libido? GOOD LORD! I feel like a teenager again! LOL!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!