Gained a pound this week - what???

Options
I eat between 1200-1400 calories every day and my goal is 1600.

I was doing GREAT for 6 weeks and lost 16 lbs! Then, without any change in my diet at ALL...this week I gained a pound. WTF?!?!

What am I doing wrong? I am obsessing over the idea that I've not only wasted a week of time to lose weight, but I've actually set myself BACK. I'm so frustrated feeling like I've just wasted a whole week. GRRRRR.

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Patience. Develop it.

Weight loss isn't linear. Time of the month, needing to pee or poop, increase is sodium/alcohol intake - all these things can lead to a bump upwards in your weight.

15 pounds in 7 weeks is still over 2 pounds per week. Rejoice in your weight loss and keep at it!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ^^^ all of the above!

Weightloss is not linear and it can fluctuate even within the same day! If you weigh yourself before and after a "washroom session" you will see a difference. Water retention, day of the month...a lot of things play a role.

I weigh myself daily and I have decided to ignore the days when the weight is up! Also, at the beginning you lose more weight much faster. The closer you get to your goal weight the harder it gets!

Be patient and think positive!

Stef.
  • kseixas
    kseixas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The blog post is awesome.

I know I need to calm down and just be patient...I'm just so angry at myself for getting HERE, to this point where I have 125 excess pounds on my body. I get disgusted with myself that I have given myself high blood sugar and who knows what else and the idea that I failed myself, AGAIN for a week is just pissing me off.

Thank you for the kind words - they are appreciated.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Factors for the scale showing your weight going up and your eating properly

1) If you ate too much salt with your food , next day your weight will probably jump up.

2) If you did a workout that was much more intense then usual , some people will hold water because of inflame muscle.

3) You did not go to the bathroom for 2-3 to do poop . Your body can hold up to 8 pounds of poop , so make sure to increase your fiber so you go at least once a day.

4) Muscle gain which means you weight more but are slimmer.

Its best not to bug out if your weight jumps up. Track it daily but focus on the weekly result. Resist the temptation to ajust your diet everytime to scale moves up or down. That can drive you nuts and to the point where you eat too little just because the scale moved up a little. I personally have seen my weight jump up to 3-5 pound in a 24 hour span. Relax and just stay focused on your goal , you can and will reach it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Smash your scale.