Soy or Whey Protein ?

Options
So i have been doing alot of research and i really need to UP my protein since i am burning anywhere from 450 - 1200 calories a day (five-six times a week) and im not a huge meat eater...

I am using a Soy protein right now and I have been told that WHEY is best for what i am trying to achieve... I am reading alot of articles and they all seem to contradict each other... What do YOU recommend ?

also -- what is the deal with QUEST bars ?! I thought they were a great source of protein but now i am hearing they have false advertising and incorrect ingredients ?

Replies

• Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    In for answers
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason not to eat whey (e.g. vegan, lactose intolerant, etc), whey is superior in every way.
  • MisterYoYo
    Options
    I heard that all of those "nutrition bars" are really bad... Glorified candy...
    I use Whey because a buddy of mine (Who is in great shape) recommended it.
    I throw it in the juicer (Vanilla) and it tastes great...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve? Whey is best for post workout as it is the fastest digested but if you just need to get your protein in, soy would be fine. (Not too sure if the soy contains all the essential amino acids though - might be worth checking)
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i want to really tone and lose about 15-20 more Lbs, and have a protein shake before or after a work out to keep me full and improve my workout..... sounding like Whey is going to be my best bet..
  • MisterYoYo
    Options
    Try and drink the Whey shake in the earliest part of the day that you can...
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Okay I work out at night after work at 5:30. I should still have a whey protein shake in the morning? Im new to the protein world LOL
  • MisterYoYo
    Options
    I only have it in the morning... You should blend a
    "celery - Kale/spinach - fruit" drink for post workout.
    Lighter, yet effective...
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about soy milk, would assume it applies to soy protein powder..

http://www.strengthsensei.com/why-soy-milk-is-a-con-job/
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Okay I work out at night after work at 5:30. I should still have a whey protein shake in the morning? Im new to the protein world LOL

Just eat a normal breakfast. Have your protein before and after as normal, it is fine to do it this way.. I have a protein shake in the morning and before working out simply out of convenience. On days I don't work (as in my job), I eat eggs instead.
  • MisterYoYo
    Options
    I just found this...
    I'm gonna have to pick up some sweet potato!!!

"Post-Workout Refueler

Almonds’ protein helps build and repair muscle. Plus, the potassium (twice as much as you get in two bananas) balances your electrolytes and fluids.

Ingredients: Oranges, almonds, sweet potato, apple

Calories: 231"
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I prefer Whey Protein
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I only use whey.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about soy milk, would assume it applies to soy protein powder..

http://www.strengthsensei.com/why-soy-milk-is-a-con-job/

Great article that provides zero support for any of its listed arguments

1. The amount depends greatly on how the soy is processed

2. So does spinich, broccoli and cucumbers. Avoid those as well?

3. Hot topic word, but the same can be said of dairy milk, corn, grains, etc., so not really an argument against anything but GMOs

4. Ongoing debate, but stated as fact. Great use of fear inducing terminology though

5. Argument seems to be mostly toward those who already have a thyroid issue

6. Oligosaccharides are found in many things, and also "can be synthesized from lactose" (thanks google)

7. Strong evidence that this is an issue in infants (primarily in formula), but I have yet to see a study that shows any concerns among adults

Having said all that, I use whey, not soy, but not for any of these reasons. But really, that "article" is simply sad.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I stick with Whey.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Whey is a fast protein, so take it (pre and) post workout.
    I'm not sure what soy protein is, but I guess slow, similar to casein? Then you might want to take that before you go to bed. But for that I'd suggest eating greek yoghurt instead.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I eat whey protein, with the odd plant protein smoothie (vega one...pea protein I believe). I use whey protein in my homemade protein bars, and in my greek yogurt before bed. To take a break from the protein powder, I'll eat a big egg white omelet. I'm interested in trying the casein protein before bed, just have to go out and find some.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I eat whey protein, with the odd plant protein smoothie (vega one...pea protein I believe). I use whey protein in my homemade protein bars, and in my greek yogurt before bed. To take a break from the protein powder, I'll eat a big egg white omelet. I'm interested in trying the casein protein before bed, just have to go out and find some.
    Casein is a slow protein, so is the protein in greek yoghurt.. So I'd suggest eating 500ml (approx 40gr of protein) of greek yoghurt instead of casein protein. Cheaper and healthier!

It's better to take a slow protein before bed because it will supply your muscles with amino acids all night long!
    Whey is perfect post work out; quick supply to repair the damage!
  • Katietheroo
    Options
    While a little now and then is no big deal, large amounts of soy are not good for woman.(do a quick Google search about soy and woman's health) It can mess with your hormones so prolonged use can throw your whole system out of whack. it's better to stick with whey.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Whey. I don't trust soy.