non-weight-related benefits of eating well!

Options
Hi all,

I only starting using MFP recently, but in 6 days of eating better and getting a good amount of water, veggies and proteins I feel so much better!

Of course, I still need to lose a good deal of weight, and in fact, I haven't even had my first week weigh-in yet - but the benefits are so much more than just weight loss - I have so much more energy! I'm sure in time I will see all sorts of benefits that are not specifically weight related - so I wondered what you guys have all seen change in your lives, for the better, since you started eating more consciously?

Be interesting (and hopefully motivating) to see.....

K

Replies

• sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Since I've been working out/eating better, I have definitely noticed more energy overall. I also sleep better. I can REALLY feel it the next day if I eat poorly or have too many drinks, whereas I think before I was in a constant state of blah so one off day didn't change much.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    More consistent and more healthy bathroom times. Lol! And more energy and healthier skin, nails and hair. More stamina in the bedroom and more um.... Enjoyment in the bedroom. Less headaches, less body aches (I do get sore from workouts but that is to be expected), less colds and other viral sickness, allergies are improving, better eyesight, and better breathing. My blood work has improved too!
  • katieC1983
    katieC1983 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WoW! Thats some pretty impressive benefits there! I have two young children so being more resistant to every bug they pick up and bring home would be brilliant! (not to mention the bedroom activity....lol)...Fab motivation, thanks!
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    WoW! Thats some pretty impressive benefits there! I have two young children so being more resistant to every bug they pick up and bring home would be brilliant! (not to mention the bedroom activity....lol)...Fab motivation, thanks!

I work in a daycare!! 6 kids under 3 years!! Not getting every cold they get since starting my journey has been by far the best benefit!!!!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    more energy, more positive and greater libido

which all makes my husband happy too
  • D_T_H
    D_T_H Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    my energy and most deff my diabetes has had the biggest and most beneficial change I am almost of all medication for it in fact I think next month my doctor will take me off it as I am on a very low dose now and my fasting blood sugar has been under 5 all this week
  • D_T_H
    D_T_H Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    More consistent and more healthy bathroom times. Lol! And more energy and healthier skin, nails and hair. More stamina in the bedroom and more um.... Enjoyment in the bedroom. Less headaches, less body aches (I do get sore from workouts but that is to be expected), less colds and other viral sickness, allergies are improving, better eyesight, and better breathing. My blood work has improved too!

and all this to never even occurred to me i have not had even the sniffles this past winter and i usually get at least 2 to 3 colds
  • katieC1983
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic to hear how well you are all doing, especially the medical benefits! :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I had a rash on my hand from a battery that had exploded. It was there for 3 years. As soon as i started eating a diet loaded with fruits and vegetables, the rash went away, and never came back.
  • ednakrabappe
    ednakrabappe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Prior to February I was a carb and refined sugar junkie. Energy drink for breakfast, jacket potato for lunch (with beans) kit kat at 3pm, more energy drink, home to a huge jumbler of juice and some days a healthy meal but others a pot noodle, pasta, ready meal tub of fresh soup then snack on love hearts, palma violets, swizzles, and the rest of the Swizzels matlow repetoire that is vegetarian.
    If I was being good and having breakfast, that would be a big bowl of cereal with loads of milk, a huge tumbler of juice and I'd force myself to have five pieces of fruit a day, giving up the kit kat.
    I am overweight, have been for many years, normally a busy woman with not much free time to spend cooking. I suffered from heavy periods,arthritis, asthma and acid reflux.

To top it all off,.I was diagnosed with diabetes in February. I did a couple of weeks of going cold turkey on sugar on my own before starting to use myfitnesspal and putting into practise reading that i'd done about carbs. I'm also exercising 6 days a week (everyone deserves a day off!)

I haven't completely gone sugar free but I'm so much better than I was and if anything is just sugar in a wrapper - I'm out! Also packed in fruit juice completely and down to one piece of fruit a day, using vegetables in their place. The more reading I do, the more I am convinced sugar is the enemy.

I used to get acid reflux every day without fail, using 2/3 packets of gaviscon. None! At all since I gave up refined sugar. This in itself is the biggest bonus as I've suffered for many years.

I had a piece of birthday cake on my birthday the other week; half the size of what I normally would have had. Had a massive sugar rush and didn't sleep well that night. Likewise I've had a full calorie dessert on three other occasions and I can feel their effects too. It's enough to put me off.

I was also getting the dreaded symptoms of boils and thrush (which is why I had gone to the docs in the first place) but all gone! The excessive thirst has also gone and the need to pee every twenty minutes (although that's completely not resolved). I didn't experience these ones for long (how could you?) but I had a gynalogical op at Christmas which I'd put all the symptoms down to that. Also had cracked heels which have significantly improved. My skin is also softer and the circles under my eyes not as pronounced.

In other words, Keep me away from the cake!

Oh yes, and I've lost two stone (some of which I acknowledge was diabetic weight)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Less hair loss, better sleep, more energy and a more positive attitude towards myself!
    Stef.
  • katieC1983
    Options
    Prior to February I was a carb and refined sugar junkie. Energy drink for breakfast, jacket potato for lunch (with beans) kit kat at 3pm, more energy drink, home to a huge jumbler of juice and some days a healthy meal but others a pot noodle, pasta, ready meal tub of fresh soup then snack on love hearts, palma violets, swizzles, and the rest of the Swizzels matlow repetoire that is vegetarian.
    If I was being good and having breakfast, that would be a big bowl of cereal with loads of milk, a huge tumbler of juice and I'd force myself to have five pieces of fruit a day, giving up the kit kat.
    I am overweight, have been for many years, normally a busy woman with not much free time to spend cooking. I suffered from heavy periods,arthritis, asthma and acid reflux.

To top it all off,.I was diagnosed with diabetes in February. I did a couple of weeks of going cold turkey on sugar on my own before starting to use myfitnesspal and putting into practise reading that i'd done about carbs. I'm also exercising 6 days a week (everyone deserves a day off!)

I haven't completely gone sugar free but I'm so much better than I was and if anything is just sugar in a wrapper - I'm out! Also packed in fruit juice completely and down to one piece of fruit a day, using vegetables in their place. The more reading I do, the more I am convinced sugar is the enemy.

I used to get acid reflux every day without fail, using 2/3 packets of gaviscon. None! At all since I gave up refined sugar. This in itself is the biggest bonus as I've suffered for many years.

I had a piece of birthday cake on my birthday the other week; half the size of what I normally would have had. Had a massive sugar rush and didn't sleep well that night. Likewise I've had a full calorie dessert on three other occasions and I can feel their effects too. It's enough to put me off.

I was also getting the dreaded symptoms of boils and thrush (which is why I had gone to the docs in the first place) but all gone! The excessive thirst has also gone and the need to pee every twenty minutes (although that's completely not resolved). I didn't experience these ones for long (how could you?) but I had a gynalogical op at Christmas which I'd put all the symptoms down to that. Also had cracked heels which have significantly improved. My skin is also softer and the circles under my eyes not as pronounced.

In other words, Keep me away from the cake!

Oh yes, and I've lost two stone (some of which I acknowledge was diabetic weight)

Wow, you must feel amazing now - such a huge difference in your life. Its so good to hear this sort of thing and see how far-reaching weight loss/healthy lifestyle benefits can be. One thing I did notice this week is that I spent so much more QUALITY time with my girls - it's half term and normally we'd be pottering around the house, trying to find things to do - but this week I've been more focused on moving more and we've been to the park twice, to the canals for a walk and even putting on old songs from my childhood and dancing around the house together. :)
  • ednakrabappe
    ednakrabappe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, you must feel amazing now - such a huge difference in your life. Its so good to hear this sort of thing and see how far-reaching weight loss/healthy lifestyle benefits can be. One thing I did notice this week is that I spent so much more QUALITY time with my girls - it's half term and normally we'd be pottering around the house, trying to find things to do - but this week I've been more focused on moving more and we've been to the park twice, to the canals for a walk and even putting on old songs from my childhood and dancing around the house together. :)

Thank you. It's a definite difference.

There are still days where I would love to shove a cream cake in my face but I think saving that sort of thing for a special occasion and thinking if you do, there has to be a give somewhere else, whether that be less calorie intake in other ways or more exercise is the way forward for me. Just putting the calories of some of my favourite foods into myfitness pal was enough to put me off. :)
    Sounds like you are having a great week and brilliant the impact it's also having on your children :)