Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Am i supposed to use all 1,200 calories everyday.

I used to use WW and it would tell me off if I didn't use all the points everyday, does it work the same as I earn calories back with exercise so it seems pointless using them up again :-/

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    There are days I don't hit goal but yes it is important to use all of them. You need a minimum (every body is different) every day to fuel your body, even if you were in a coma. Your profile says you want to be healthy, eating is part of being healthy :) Design your food and exercise to something you can commit to for life. Good luck on your journey!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes, you should eat, at minimum, 1200 calories. Remember, the goal isn't to eat as little as possible. The goal is to fuel your body properly while maintaining a moderate deficit that will allow for weight loss. Give your body what it needs, lose weight, win.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    To the lady that said a life style change it is so true. That is why I have fallen off a million and one times. I have decrease portion size and lost off 30 pounds. Now the next step making all my foods healthier and exercise everyday like I use too. I have my calories set so I will still lose a half a pound a week, with 30 minutes a day exercise. You have to find what works for you and do the adjustment as needed. I want to do 1200 calories for a short time, but the way I do it is eat 1500 to 1800 and burn 300 to 500 calories. This is a number I feel I can do. I haven't been consistent that is my PROBLEM. Good Luck.:happy:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    It's called a goal because you are meant to reach it. You can even surpass it sometimes. You should not eat less than 1200 calories unless you are 4'2" and totally sedentary!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    You have (assumedly) set mfp to give you a goal where you lose 0.5-2lbs a week, yes? This means you are already eating at a deficit. Even without exercise you will lose weight as you are consuming less than your body is using.

If you add exercise into the mix you will increase the caloric deficit. With this exercise, depending on what you are doing and for how long, could increase the deficit per day by several hundred. So if for example you were eating at -500 calories for the day this could become -800+. This could end up with you not eating enough to fuel your body properly, not get sufficient nutrition and generally leave you hungry and tired (at best).
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    WW is horrible, the points are waaaaaaaaaaaay off, I used WW and MFP for 4 days, every day with MFP I still had 400 calories to consume, WW said I was done my points at 4pm!

crock of crap it is, ive cancelled , yes eat your 1200
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Hitting calorie goal is so hard for me sometimes, seeing as Im in a truck all day. And bringing fruit and veggies is tough due to the fact I cross the canadian border a lot.
  • WW is horrible, the points are waaaaaaaaaaaay off, I used WW and MFP for 4 days, every day with MFP I still had 400 calories to consume, WW said I was done my points at 4pm!

crock of crap it is, ive cancelled , yes eat your 1200
    Weight Watchers, and all the rest of the diet industry, make money by selling people diets which work for a while but aren't sustainable, so people lose weight, think it's working and it's worth the money, gain weight again, and then spend more money re-joining.
  • Ah thanks guys, I did eat my calories today plus 172 more, I did earn 360 odd back from exercise today. Felt guilty about using them all, but strangely I don't feel bloated today like I usually do :) x
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Its often suggested which I adear to, that you dont eat all your exercise calories back, this is because every method of caculating calorie burn is an estimate, some are better than others but it better eat 65-80% of them back to give you that over estimate wiggle room.