Runners- Foot pain?

Hi all-

To start out let me say I have new shoes- I got a new pair in November and put about 20 miles on them without a problem or any pain.

I hadn't run SINCE November- because, well I hate treadmill running and in Michigan it's been one of the worst winters. Ever.

Anyway- I just started the couch to 5k program up again. Just finished week 1 today.

But I'm noticing half way through my runs that the outside of my left foot starts to hurt. And I really feel it on the walk breaks. When I run, however, it goes away little bit. Then when I come inside/am completely done with my run, it hurts again. Like an achy, sore hurt.

Should I just run through this? It's not so painful that I can't run, but it does hurt.

2 years ago I ran quite frequently- actually trained for and completed a half marathon. I was then sidelined by a tendon injury.
It has since then healed and I've gotten 100% clearance by doctors to run again.

The pain I'm feeling now is not the same place/kind of pain that the tendon injury was.

Thoughts/ advice? :)

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    I know you said you got 100% clearance by the doctor to run again but how long ago was that? Maybe something has changed since then? I would get it checked by a doctor and maybe even get a second opinion. It wouldn't be hurting for nothing. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Good luck! :)
  • Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Have you been to a proper running shop, take your shoes with you and they will put you on a treadmill to analyse your running gait and advise you on whether you have the right shoes or need a pair suited to how you run, it really is worth it or you could risk injury. Good luck.
  • rontuu
    rontuu Posts: 23
    Is it only while you exercise that you get the pain? Do you get it at all in the mornings or after a long day of regular working, etc?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Don't want to be a doomsayer, but that kind of sort of sounds like the description I just read about the early signs before you get a stress fracture. If you press on it do you get a pain?
    I'd stay off it. But then, I like my feet :happy:
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    This sounds similar to pain I had after a half marathon last november. I ended up having a stress fracture, and I had to wear a boot for 6 weeks. Not fun :( I would go to the doctor, because it could be a variety of things.