Exercise STILL a chore to me

Options
I've been losing weight steadily for 3 years. I am happy to say I've lost 40 pounds and changed my eating habits entirely. However, I still hate exercise. The only thing I have really enjoyed is a Zumba class, but it's clear on the other side of town and I don't have a car. It's too long on the bus and the friend I was riding with before bailed. I have the DVDs but it's not the same. I have also tried Zumba classes in my neighborhood and they're more expensive and not as good.

I dislike running, and my city is too dangerous for cycling. I feel like I'm just making too many excuses, but at the same time they all feel relaxant to me. I also know that I need to include weight training in my fitness. I dislike it as well, but at least I do it. (Not as often as I should and I usually give up too soon).

Here are the workouts I've tried and liked for a little bit, but then quit:

Zumba
Crossfit
Pilates
Yoga
Running
Walking
Cycling
Swimming
Step aerobics
Circuit training boot camp
Body tone classes
Weight training on my own
Turbo fire

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Martial arts, yoga, spin class, hiking in the woods.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are the kind of person who would benefit from working out without it feeling like a workout. What I mean is that you might enjoy joining a sport or doing something else physical that's fun (like dancing) but doesn't feel like exercise for the sake of exercise. I know you said you weren't a fan of the Zumba DVDs. Can you pinpoint what was different about them that you didn't like? Maybe you enjoy exercising with others, in which case I'd recommend looking into community sports. If you don't have access to something like that, maybe try the Just Dance games. I've only tried one once, but it was a lot of fun and definitely made me sweat!

Good luck!
  • nanodjlewis
    Options
    I really like running, and on off days I go for walks. I don't particularly like walking because I find it boring so what I do is put on a podcast or an audiobook of something I'd be listening to anyway and then I can just walk while enjoying the audio and not really think about the fact that I'm walking.

As for things like weightlifting, which you should be doing, I find that it is easier to get motivated when I set achievable milestone goals along the way. When you can see yourself progressing every week towards a slightly higher weight or a slightly great number of reps, or a faster set, it makes it more of an enjoyable challenge, at least for me.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If you don't like doing Zumba on your own couldn't you get together with a bunch of friends to do a video? Not sure where you're from but here in the Uk you can usually hire a church/village or school hall for not a lot of money and do something with some friends. May work out cheaper than going a long way by public transport to a class.

Does your local swimming pool do aquafit? - that can be fun.

Look for new things to try - doesn't matter if you change often.

You could try something like 30 day shred - not fun or sociable but is only 20 mins!! And it is effective.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, the fitter I am and better at the 'thing', the more I enjoy it.
    I used to absolutely detest running, however been doing quite a bit recently and not sure I'd go as far as 'enjoy', but quite happy to pop out and do 10k to give the dog some exercise.

What about something where the focus isn't on exercise - for instance I went to Tennis lessons, Krav Maga (self defense martial art) and so on. I also really enjoy mountain biking and especially cross country motorbiking (unfortunately my wrists cause me problems with the latter especially) - to the point that despite feeling physically exhausted I'll do "just one more lap" because I'm enjoying the activity, even when my fitness isn't up to scratch.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love doing Just Dance. Doesn't feel like exercise, it's so fun! (you can watch the videos and dance along on youtube if you don't have a game console)
    I also go to open skate at my local ice arena from time to time and love flying around on the ice with my iPod on!
  • courtneyparsons
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
  • kdsmyth
    kdsmyth Posts: 1
    Options
    If you like zumba you prob would like hip hop abs. Or beachparty ( beachbody programs)
    Shaun t is so fun to work out with and keeps you motivated. Best thing is you do it home so no buses and gym fees.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Mini tramp, small, makes you giggle, clocks up exercise easily whilst dinner is cooking and telly is on - works for me, I'm maintaining now!
  • lynniemuffin
    Options
    I struggle too. Tell yourself things like "Oh well...this is not optional...I have to" to avoid the debating and excuses. Make working out as comfortable as possible to get through it.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    What about running don't you like? If you're a fan of the bling that you earn when you complete a race, perhaps you can look into virtual races. You can, sorry to be blunt, buy your bling (money usually goes to charity of some kind) and then reward yourself at the end of your 3.1 mile run, or accumulative 13.1 miles over a week's time, with the bling.

I like shiny things, so this works for me. ;) I hope you find an exercise that you don't find boring!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    rollerblading! it doesnt feel like a workout while being a great one. :) and the best: you dont feel hot because of the cool wind in your face.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Join a softball team, tennis or any outdoor sport. Yes, it does sound like excuses. I f you don't like to exercise don't make it feel like exercise. Do something you enjoy.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Nobody said it was going to be easy.. Just don't burn yourself out and you're good to go!
    You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote on Instagram that said "I don't always like exercise, but I like what it does to my body".

Also you've quit an awful lot of really cool exercises. Why not try and figure out why you have a problem sticking with the things you do like?

*Edited for grammar
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Even though you tried an exercise and quit, revisit the exercise with a new perspective. Walking itself might be a bit boring but walking with a camera in hand can have those minutes flying by as you look for new photo opportunities. The thing is sometimes exercise is a chore. Give yourself a break then try again. Remember, excuses don't burn calories!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I find if I'm doing the same thing over and over, I'll get bored and quit too! Do you have a rec center nearby that offers fitness classes? Mine has been a lifesaver! I take 5 classes per week there, at $10 for a 10 week session, so it breaks down to $1 per class! And they have a huge variety, so I can switch it up every 10 weeks. Right now, my workout schedule is like this:

Monday: rest/stationary bike (I was given one)/YouTube videos (whatever catches my fancy) I'll soon add outdoor biking to this (got one at a garage sale for $5)
    Tuesday: Zumba (rec center)
    Wednesday: Body Sculpt (rec center, HIIT and weight training)
    Thursday: Yoga (rec center) and C25K
    Friday: Drum Fit (rec center)
    Saturday: Cardio Mix Up (rec center, the class changes weekly- I've done Kickboxing, Boot Camp and Step Aerobics so far)
    Sunday: C25K (sometimes x2, or x1 plus YouTube videos/stationary bike/etc)

Having something different everyday means that I don't burn out and get bored. Don't get me wrong, it's still a struggle to get going sometimes (I'm procrastinating my run right now, actually), but once I bite the bullet and get out there, it's easy to finish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you like team sports? Maybe you could join a club or something?

Or how about just walking to places instead of taking the bus as you don't have a car? I'm guessing you must be doing that for an extent. Or join Audible and get audio books to keep you busy while you walk.

I feel you though, I'm not too fond of exercise either, I walk because it's easy enough and my neighborhood is nice, and I make myself lift weights 3 times a week for 20 minutes but that's about it.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I HATE to work out too. The only times that I've enjoyed working out were when I was doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai. They didn't feel like a "workout" because I enjoyed every single excruciating second of the classes. They are very fast paced and intense, so you don't have time to think "oh, this sucksss" --- simply because you are too busy defending yourself or planning strategy.

Right now, I can't do either. So I am back to hating my workouts. But this is what has helped: As said above, variety, variety.
    I was walking listening to great music, and yesterday moved to C25K at the park with different motivational apps.

I also have a variety of workout DVDs: I have 30DS, Shred it with Weight, 10 minute solutions, NYC Ballet, Yoga etc..
    I prefer short DVDs so I don't get bored as easily.

I also plan on taking some classes at the YMCA for added variety, enter a local 5K in the next few months to have as a goal, and I'd like to get a mini trampoline soon to add "fun" cardio.