had too many calories yesterday what next?

Options
Last night I went way over my calorie goal 2200 calories over to be exact. It was not a binge I just had a bigger dinner than normal and then had drinks which add up. For reference on mfp I have it set at sedentary because I work in a bank but outside of work I am fairly active. It has me netting 1200 calories and I am supposed to lose .8 of a pound every week. In practice when I stick to that I lose more than .8 but on the weekends I tend to let go a little bit and have still been losing weight overall. I am 5'2" and started at 135...now I am at 128...goal is 120. My question is should I just shrug last night off and go back to 1200 or should I try to bake those calories into this next week example add excersie so I am netting less until the 2200 is made up for? When you go over your calorie goal significantly in a day what do you do?

Replies

• _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and press on. I just try to make sure it doesn't happen too often.

I may add some more exercise time but not always. **** happens - keep losing :)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    <---- This. Just shrug it off, life happens, move on and it will all work out in the longer term
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ....eat less the next day.

Ok sarcasm aside, if you go over your goal for just one day you're fine. So long as your calories for the week arent over where they should be. You dont get fat in just one day.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's obviously not something you do very often. I have read this in several threads on the site "that was yesterday, put it behind you and move on..." I think that this was a blip (unless you do it 3x a week or something) so just put it behind you and start afresh today/tomorrow :)
  • pnkpoodlkiss
    pnkpoodlkiss Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...putting behind seems like the best advice! Although messing up a week of healthy eating and excercise in one day is frustrating grrr but I need to think of this as a journey and weight loss/reaching your fitness goals is a compilation of small little successes/decisions we make every day.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...putting behind seems like the best advice! Although messing up a week of healthy eating and excercise in one day is frustrating grrr but I need to think of this as a journey and weight loss/reaching your fitness goals is a compilation of small little successes/decisions we make every day.
    You haven't messed up a week of healthy eating and exercise though. What you did on those other days still counts. It's not just about calories. Lifestyle, remember? :smile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    go back into the settings on MFP.
    change goal to .5 lb / week loss.
    If you had put the information in as such, MFP wouldn't have given you a 1200 calorie goal to start with.

Eat more, still lose, avoid the need to binge and freak out about over-eating for a day.

...and if you're "active outside of work" then don't set it as sedentary.
  • etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Kudos for your for actually tracking everything and figuring out how much you consumed - that's a pretty big deal. I don't know how many times in the past I've gone way over and didn't track it because I was afraid of actually knowing.

It was one day, and if you are on track usually and for the rest of the week, I wouldn't alter your caloric intake to make up for one day. The scale might not move as much for your next weigh in, but at least you know how much you actually consumed!
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You're in luck!! Refeed days are super good for fat loss! Chalk it up to a refeed and press on. Maybe do some research on the topic as well :)
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    this is where people have got it all wrong. you don't "mess up" your healthy eating by indulging every now and then. this isn't some recipe where you add too much salt and you botch the whole thing, it's a lifestyle. and enjoying yourself every now and then is healthy for your mind and body, even if you go over your calorie limit. you put in your work so that you can enjoy these types of things.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is your usual, you can definitely afford to be eating over the top every now and again (1200 is a pretty low calorie intake honestly, you could probably up it if you wanted to, MFP's system of assigning calories isn't very good).

So yeah, basically just go about the next day no differently. You can't undo the calories you already ate, and there's no point starving yourself today. You're body needs 3500 extra calories a week to be gaining. Where you're already eating at a deficit, and eating even that much more than usual would at MOST take you back up to maintaining, so you'll be fine.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Agree with others who said "it was one day - put it aside and go on". Glad you posted your normal calorie level, because some people have said to lower your intake the next day - but you shouldn't lower your intake to less than 1200 - especially if you are more active than you admitted to the computer you are - so do not go lower than that. One day of eating over will neot "mess" up everything good you have done. I do that once a week and still usually lose. It isn't a terrible thing.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ....eat less the next day.

Ok sarcasm aside, if you go over your goal for just one day you're fine. So long as your calories for the week arent over where they should be. You dont get fat in just one day.

QFT. I look at my weekly goal.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Just start fresh. Whether that means the next meal or the next day depends on the situation. One meal or one day does not define you.