suddenly scale shows weight loss

Options
So I've been trying to loose weigh for around 6 weeks, eating around 1, 400 calories and exercising. I didn't really loose anything, and then four days ago the scale said I had lost 4 pounds, going from 149 to 145. I know about water weight and fluctuations, but it has stayed around 145 for the last four days. So did my scale just start showing weight loss, or did I really loose 4 pounds in a week?
I have been eating the same and doing the same workouts.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    That's how it goes.

Good job!
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So I've been trying to loose weigh for around 6 weeks, eating around 1, 400 calories and exercising. I didn't really loose anything, and then four days ago the scale said I had lost 4 pounds, going from 149 to 145. I know about water weight and fluctuations, but it has stayed around 145 for the last four days. So did my scale just start showing weight loss, or did I really loose 4 pounds in a week?

I have a WW scale that "remembers" my weight over a period of time...it takes forever to reset it. I have since changed scales. I thought I was plateauing when it was actually a faulty scale.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You've lost 4 pounds over 6 weeks, at least that you can measure. It only seems to show all at once.

If my scale seems to be remembering its prior reading, I grab mouthwash and shampoo and get on. The several pounds should trigger a change. I then get on w/ just me again.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hard to say, I always have to step on mine at least twice, I think mines ww too, the first reading is always wrong but the second and any after are always my actual weight, a few pounds less than the first reading, and are more consistent. Dunno why it's like that. Try to check more than once if your scale is digital. I've checked on other scales to make sure I've actually lost from time to time. Also never underestimate measurements, take measurements they're way more accurate, I do every month to every other month but you could do so more or less.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have also been eating 1400 calories and exercising to RI30 Jilliam Michael's 4 times a week. I have been eating at 1400 calories for 2 weeks. I tried to eat at 1200 calories before that but never attained it. I have been trying for 6 weeks and lost nothing so far.
    Can I ask what exercise you were doing? And what is your height?
    I am 5 ft 3 inch and weigh 165lb
  • Hannahlindele
    Options
    I've been doing Insanity workouts (not the program). I'm 5"5. Apparently my scale decided not to show me I was loosing weight the past 6 weeks, but now it has!:laugh:
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    That's really common, especially for women -- that water retention can mask weight/fat loss. Here are some good articles on it:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part_28.html
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    IDK but the EXACT same thing happened to me! I go up, down, up, down.....sheesh!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's happened to me on both of my cuts in the last 6 months. Just when you're thinking you've done it all wrong, it drops to where it should be. First time it got me, I over cut in panic and lost muscle. Second time I was ready for it, and it really did drop to exactly where it should have been.

I believe in the woosh! It's a theory that the fat cells empty fat but replace it with water and hold on for a few weeks, maybe to see if there really is a longer term shortage of food.

It's weird, unproven, but too much of a coincidence for me. It could also be to do with water retention from additional exercise suddenly being dropped, but mine went in a training week, not a rest week.
  • carlywitham
    carlywitham Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring weekly or daily? Seems to be a bit of a contentious issue - personally I prefer to weigh daily to know that I haven't just happened to do my weekly weigh on a particularly high or low day. However, I use a great app called 'happy scale' which smooths out all the fluctuations and gives you general trends to stop the frustrations with the figure jumping all over the place - give it a go if you want some feedback more frequently than weekly...