Some answers to the reasons of "I can't/don't_________"

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
What's important here is that one has to look at this objectively. I'm sure others here will chime in on what worked for THEM to overcome whatever setback or obstacle impeded their progress, but I'm just addressing some of the basic reasons.

"I can't lose weight."- In other words, what you're doing isn't working. What ever approach you're taking isn't garnering results. And there could be a myriad of reasons. Incorrect calculations of portions or calorie expenditure are the first that come to mind. Another would be lack of adequate sleep or rest. Hormones also play a role.
So sometimes one has to play the deduction strategy to figure out what may be the cause. First and foremost though would be to look objectively if one is REALLY counting calories correctly. If not, than that would more than likely be the main issue. Then go from there. The important thing here is don't be in denial or discount what may be the reason.

"I don't have time exercise."- It's really not a matter of time, it's a matter of desire. One could effectively exercise for 15 minutes a day with or without equipment. Many people don't like physical activity. Unfortunately the less and less physically active one is, the higher the risk for health issues as they age. It's really a matter of choice and not time.

"I can't lose belly fat"- This one is kinda of tough because genetics does play a role, however for the majority of people it really just comes down to body fat %. Getting down to "fitness" and "normal" percentages will usually reveal abs or a flatter stomach. Again not always the case, but for genders males in the 15% range and females in the 20% range will usually have flatter stomachs than those in the higher percentages. So shoot for a lower BF%.

I know there's more to address so carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. The "I don't have time to exercise" excuse is nonsense. While my nine month old was napping, I went outside and jump roped for ten minutes and burned over a hundred calories.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wonderful post. The "I don't have time to exercise" excuse is nonsense. While my nine month old was napping, I went outside and jump roped for ten minutes and burned over a hundred calories.
    Yep. Even "pretend" jumping rope would work if someone claims they can't jump rope without getting their feet caught. The calories burned aren't pretend thoughl

IDEA Fitness member
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Yep. Even "pretend" jumping rope would work if someone claims they can't jump rope without getting their feet caught. The calories burned aren't pretend thoughl
    Hmmm...perhaps I need to give "pretend" jump roping a chance. I haven't been able to master the "real thing" for reasons of clutziness :tongue: Might be something new to add to the exercise arsenal when I get bored with what I'm doing currently.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Time is at a premium for me right now, but I agree it is a matter of prioritization. I simply don't value a workout over time to rest and recuperate from a horribly stressful situation at work that has me about 10 minutes from a nervous breakdown. But I acknowledge that no workout = smaller caloric intake for the day or smaller deficit for the day (today was definitely a smaller deficit day and that piece of lemon pound cake? Worth. It.) . . . so, yeah, I'd agree that it is an excuse, even though my first reaction was to say "But you don't know my lyfe! Work, commute, home responsibilities, child, all the things!" But I could work out during the time I'm choosing to spend writing, because the writing is helping me unwind and helping to save my mental health and that is more important right now.

Good list.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Time is at a premium for me right now, but I agree it is a matter of prioritization. I simply don't value a workout over time to rest and recuperate from a horribly stressful situation at work that has me about 10 minutes from a nervous breakdown. But I acknowledge that no workout = smaller caloric intake for the day or smaller deficit for the day (today was definitely a smaller deficit day and that piece of lemon pound cake? Worth. It.) . . . so, yeah, I'd agree that it is an excuse, even though my first reaction was to say "But you don't know my lyfe! Work, commute, home responsibilities, child, all the things!" But I could work out during the time I'm choosing to spend writing, because the writing is helping me unwind and helping to save my mental health and that is more important right now.

Good list.
    It's also well documented that exercise relieves stress. It's harder than writing, but writing doesn't help to improve your physical aspect. Start with the 7 minute workout.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    nice post.
    i actually used to believe i had no time to exercise and i work from home. was just lazy. I now fit it in before i get ready.

This is work out is ok for the poster who mentioned jump rope. I have done it indoors without a rope. just 20 mins
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Jump-Rope-Workout-Routine-Intense-Home-Cardio-Toning-Exercises/8s/
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I pretend jump rope, because sadly, I really can't jump rope :/
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Good list.
    It's also well documented that exercise relieves stress. It's harder than writing, but writing doesn't help to improve your physical aspect. Start with the 7 minute workout.

IDEA Fitness member

I do the 7 minute workout already. It's a mental health thing. Writing is an outlet that helps me clear my mind so I can sleep. I didn't write last night and was up all night with the same circling thoughts. The stress is above and beyond normal stress right now (which exercise DOES help with - you are right there!).

But my point was really that I acknowledge the inherent excuse-making and now make deliberate choices, accepting the consequences of those on my weight loss. The good news for me is that I will have new staff in place within a month (hopefully less than that!) and then I can get back to normal again.

I have made arrangements for the park tomorrow morning with the family to ensure I get in a decent workout though!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I pretend jump rope, because sadly, I really can't jump rope :/

Invisible or 'pretend' jump rope is one of my favorite go-to cardio moves. I even move my arms around like I'm doing fancy jump rope tricks sometimes. Honestly, it's much safer for me this way, LOL! My balance and coordination have improved drastically since taking up cardio kickboxing, but I'm certain I'd still end up breaking a leg if I tried jumping rope for real. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Invisible or 'pretend' jump rope is one of my favorite go-to cardio moves. I even move my arms around like I'm doing fancy jump rope tricks sometimes. Honestly, it's much safer for me this way, LOL! My balance and coordination have improved drastically since taking up cardio kickboxing, but I'm certain I'd still end up breaking a leg if I tried jumping rope for real. :laugh:
    I instruct a kickboxing cardio class and if we all actually broke out ropes to jump, someone would probably get rope whipped in the head or face. That's why "pretend" rope jumping works well in lots of situations. Keep it up!

IDEA Fitness member
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that for the life of me can't jump rope. It's never occurred to me to just fake it...I'll have to try it!

Also, I find it funny that a great OP turned into a conversation about how we REALLY can't jump rope. :laugh:
  • stef_monster
    Options
    Also, I find it funny that a great OP turned into a conversation about how we REALLY can't jump rope.

Haha, but we've all learned to overcome it, somehow!

I was one of those "I can't lose belly fat" people. For years I did tons of ab work to no avail (except for super strong abs) in an attempt to spot-reduce. It was only after I started doing serious cardio (running and HIIT) that my BF% started to drop enough to see a bit of definition. I started heavy lifting, and after 5 or 6 months my lower belly had flattened considerably and I had a little more definition. My BF% is in the low 20s, and I still don't have a completely visible 6-pack. However, I'm happy with how I look now and am more focused on strength/ endurance goals.

As for not having time to work out, for me it's all about efficiency: 30-40 minutes of really intense cardio most days and 3 days of compound lifts give me the most bang for my buck. I don't want to spend my life doing endless reps with an 8-pound dumbbell.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also, I find it funny that a great OP turned into a conversation about how we REALLY can't jump rope.

Haha, but we've all learned to overcome it, somehow!

I was one of those "I can't lose belly fat" people. For years I did tons of ab work to no avail (except for super strong abs) in an attempt to spot-reduce. It was only after I started doing serious cardio (running and HIIT) that my BF% started to drop enough to see a bit of definition. I started heavy lifting, and after 5 or 6 months my lower belly had flattened considerably and I had a little more definition. My BF% is in the low 20s, and I still don't have a completely visible 6-pack. However, I'm happy with how I look now and am more focused on strength/ endurance goals.

As for not having time to work out, for me it's all about efficiency: 30-40 minutes of really intense cardio most days and 3 days of compound lifts give me the most bang for my buck. I don't want to spend my life doing endless reps with an 8-pound dumbbell.
    You looked objectively at your situation and made a change. And that's why change can happen. Congrats.

IDEA Fitness member
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time exercise."- It's really not a matter of time, it's a matter of desire. One could effectively exercise for 15 minutes a day with or without equipment. Many people don't like physical activity. Unfortunately the less and less physically active one is, the higher the risk for health issues as they age. It's really a matter of choice and not time.

My doctor has a cartoon on his wall of a doctor saying to a patient "You can exercise one hour a day or be dead 24 hours a day. Which better fits your schedule."

:laugh:

When it comes down to my myofascial pain and resistance (tension bands) exercise, I've been told that even 10 minutes 3 or more times a day will make a difference. Every one can find 10 minutes; agreed that we just choose not to :tongue:

(Speaking of... it's been a choice to not get the damn brackets fixed :mad: Where's mah duct tape!)
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well, I sort of have an excuse LOL.. I am in a truck 24 hours a day. I drive, my husband drives. We have appts and tight schedules where you cannot be late. When we stop, its to sleep, shower and try to eat.

When hes driving, I could go in the sleeper to exercise but there isnt much room near the bed and with the truck moving, Id could break my neck LOL..I thought of bringing weights, but every lb in a truck is crucial because of the weight regulations/fed laws so every pound the truck is allowed is pretty much spoken for.

when we are home, I can go for a walk but we are only home 1 or 2 days tops. Is that even going to help?

We do try and park further away from the truck stops to get to walk some.

Anyway, Im trying! lol
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do dance in my seat when a good 80s song comes on LOL
  • stef_monster
    Options
    My doctor has a cartoon on his wall of a doctor saying to a patient "You can exercise one hour a day or be dead 24 hours a day. Which better fits your schedule."

LOL I need to find this!

It's true, though- if you add up all the time a person spends tooling around on social media, watching all the way through a rerun before the new episode of their show comes on, etc, you could probably find WAY MORE than just an hour.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, I sort of have an excuse LOL.. I am in a truck 24 hours a day. I drive, my husband drives. We have appts and tight schedules where you cannot be late. When we stop, its to sleep, shower and try to eat.

When hes driving, I could go in the sleeper to exercise but there isnt much room near the bed and with the truck moving, Id could break my neck LOL..I thought of bringing weights, but every lb in a truck is crucial because of the weight regulations/fed laws so every pound the truck is allowed is pretty much spoken for.

when we are home, I can go for a walk but we are only home 1 or 2 days tops. Is that even going to help?

We do try and park further away from the truck stops to get to walk some.

Anyway, Im trying! lol

If you have the opportunity, try parking at a rest stop. They usually have a place that you could do some walking, jumping jacks, squats, etc.