For the Girls..PMS and Stamina

Options
I am nearing my one month mark, and the exercise started getting easier, but I am due to start my period soon and all of a sudden I feel like I am dragging a wagon of rocks behind me, having to stop when walking up hills I popped right up a few days ago, etc....Anyone else have this happen or notice a change in their stamina during 'that time'? I have increased my water and protein and even added a few extra complex carbs for energy, but it's not making a difference yet

Replies

• cute8
    cute8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the exact same issue, after my period I slowly get back to normal. I increased my water intake and it didn't seem to make any difference.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah I posted this article from Competitor Running about that topic in another thread here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1226045-menstrual-cycle-s-effects-on-running-glycogen-etc?hl=menstrual+cycle#posts-19184389

From the article: "Many of the female runners I’ve coached have experienced their worst training days in the few days leading up to and including menstruation."

It's probably fairly common.
  • kiechaboo
    kiechaboo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too, going thru that now!!!

:sad:
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's just one of those things that we just have to deal with. Hormones...This is also another one of those things that makes me roll my eyes when men make broad sweeping comments about weight loss for everyone, as if the same things happen in our bodies. We just have to push through it all and be prepared for those moments in the month...
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I though this was an interesting piece on this subject as well....

http://www.optimizedwoman.com/womens-lifecoaching-article-dieting.html
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The first couple days are the worst for me, I don't even bother with exercise on those days as I have other issues with TOM as well. If you can exercise just try something less strenuous like yoga maybe? Or a shorter/moderate walk?
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me. I actually read a scientific study on this years ago, maybe in Runner's World, that looked at changes in performance/endurance during the menstrual cycle. I think they attributed it to hormone changes.

When it happens, I still work out but just trust my body and do what I can, knowing it won't be the best workout of my life. :)
  • Raggedy_Ann
    Options
    Glad you posted this, I just went through the same thing and wondered what was up. Felt like I was making some real strength gains and then all of a sudden everything was twice as hard one day. I feel much better this week, lost a pound and now know to expect it, so thanks everyone :)
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Let's see...um, yep. Uh huh, that's me. And I get the cramps megatime!!! My only relief for the is a back and muscle relaxer pill. All hail Robaxecet!!!! LOL :laugh:
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    When I get my period, I get leg weakness. They feel all bambi legs. I know one other person who is like this :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I used to just feel too awful to even finish my workouts or get any good lifts in. I learned to not be so hard on myself for taking an unplanned rest. I eventually went on lo loestrin pills which completely got rid of that time of the month so I never have issues with that now.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely yes, the lack of motivation and stamina not to mention the bloat and cramps. I started taking evening primrose daily and B12 complex a few days before during and after that TOM. It seems to help me somewhat. Men have it so easy.
  • grumblefluff
    grumblefluff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this happens to all of us, but so glad there's not just something wrong with me :)
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    yup, along with a weight plateau and increased appetite, and fatigue. and being colder.
  • alyzu
    alyzu Posts: 1
    Options
    I experience this, as well. I read about it a few years ago. Apparently it's very common. The article I read said to listen to your body, ease up or even take a rest day if you need to.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Yeah during my period I always feel like death and I have to take it easy, at least for the first few days. But the week before you start, you actually burn a little more calories and you should have a little more energy- so that's good! (Like the only bright side.)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Same - almost. I feel the same junky feelings before, but after half of the first day, I almost always get intense urges to work out, to run, to accomplish -everything-. So I workout! and I do really well (no bambi legs for me, that sounds annoying : ( )

Working out during that time can help ease pains and cramps, too.

But yea, the few days before is just bleh.
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, lethargy and hunger leading to weight gain (1-2 lbs)... for the entire week before and first couple of days. I'm used to it now that I'm tracking for a couple consecutive months. I know the lbs and my body will snap back at the end of my TOM. I just consider it the price we pay.