weight gain after serious calorie burns? theories?

Options
Okay, this is just a trend that I've noticed, not something that is worrying me really. But living in Taiwan I take every opportunity to go on day hikes and climbing to burn some serious calories and have a blast while doing it. But every time I've done it, my scales says I've anywhere from 2-4 pounds. I usually check the next day and I keep myself hydrated. The last time I went on a hike it took about a week for these mystery pounds to go away. Anyone have any ideas about why this happens?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Are you eating high sodium foods after or during your hike? I always gain a few pounds for a few days if i have a high sodium meal.
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    During my hikes I eat things that store well in my pack, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter and bagels. But I always buy things that are no added sugar salt. I try to drink a ton of water too. For example, yesterday I drank about 5 large bottles of water in the day and 2 more when I returned home. But last night I did eat a burger after so that was pretty high sodium. Could be the problem. :)

Thanks I didn't think about that.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Muscle retains water for repair after strenuous activity. Don't sweat it.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    It is pretty common for me to gain if I continuously stress the body with long workouts. I have been running half marathons every weekend for past 4 or 5 weeks and I have gained around 1-2 pound right after every half marathon. Your body retains water and what ever it needs to fight the inflammation so your body can recover. I personally don't worry about sodium, infact I up my sodium to 5g instead of 2.3g on the days of my long run.
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    It is pretty common for me to gain if I continuously stress the body with long workouts. I have been running half marathons every weekend for past 4 or 5 weeks and I have gained around 1-2 pound right after every half marathon. Your body retains water and what ever it needs to fight the inflammation so your body can recover. I personally don't worry about sodium, infact I up my sodium to 5g instead of 2.3g on the days of my long run.

that makes sense! Thanks for the info. :)
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

^ Yup
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    During my hikes I eat things that store well in my pack, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter and bagels. But I always buy things that are no added sugar salt. I try to drink a ton of water too. For example, yesterday I drank about 5 large bottles of water in the day and 2 more when I returned home. But last night I did eat a burger after so that was pretty high sodium. Could be the problem. :)

Thanks I didn't think about that.

most all of those are fairly high in sodium. you may be taking in more sodium than you think
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like?
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    My diary is open. I generally eat pretty well, but usually the same things. Being in Asia, I don't get the variety that I would back home.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    This. Happens to me too, after pretty much every double Krav class or other heavy duty exertion.
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    Glad to know I am not the only one. It seemed to be following a pattern, like I'd "gain" for a few days and the go back to normal, so figured it wasn't a problem.